Jump to content

Data Usage


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Neponde said:

I'm curious, does anyone know how much data the emulator uses per hour? We do not have internet, but if the usage is reasonable, I could perhaps use my phone data as a hotspot.



Can't say as I've ever measured it, but I suspect fairly small because it was designed to work originally with 56k modems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Greetings,

 

It doesnt use a whole lot of data. My usage for last 30 days with upto 6 accounts at times:

 

image.png.62819ddd9e889560938283155de98e7e.png

 

Thing is it can be quite sketchy when using mobile connections for gameplay from what ive seen and heard, so mileage may vary.

 

Regards

-FFT

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Kyp, that's awesome. The thought never occurred to me until a couple days ago, cause I assumed the req would be quite high, with the graphics.

 

9 hours ago, oakman said:

Greetings,

 

It doesnt use a whole lot of data. My usage for last 30 days with upto 6 accounts at times:

 

image.png.62819ddd9e889560938283155de98e7e.png

 

Thing is it can be quite sketchy when using mobile connections for gameplay from what ive seen and heard, so mileage may vary.

 

Regards

-FFT

 

Is that daily play for an hour or two a day?

Edited by Neponde
Incomplete
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nah Graphics are all local to your computer, the comms are mostly small packets between your network and ours, nothing more. In a streaming type of connection (say Netflix and such) you use much more data because you are pulling down such things but most MMO style games have most assets locally and the server simply controls the rules of the gamestate and helps to coordinate when everyone else can "see" each other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Neponde said:

Is that daily play for an hour or two a day?

 

Sorry i should have mentioned that information 😎

 

I would say over last 30 days, this is 1-6 clients at about 2-4 hours per day average.

 

Regards

-FFT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Kyp said:

Nah Graphics are all local to your computer, the comms are mostly small packets between your network and ours, nothing more. In a streaming type of connection (say Netflix and such) you use much more data because you are pulling down such things but most MMO style games have most assets locally and the server simply controls the rules of the gamestate and helps to coordinate when everyone else can "see" each other.

 

1 hour ago, oakman said:

 

Sorry i should have mentioned that information 😎

 

I would say over last 30 days, this is 1-6 clients at about 2-4 hours per day average.

 

Regards

-FFT

 

This is perfect, thanks so much!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alas, after a few tests, using cell data doesn't seem to be a viable option. For about 2 minutes it works okay, but then the delay starts to get longer and longer, with 5, 10, 20 seconds between my action and the games response.

 

Was worth a try.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is something you could try if willing.

 

A while ago a friend of mine stuck with mobile only data access could get to character login side of things, but could never progress the handoff to the world server. It would just hang forever. 

 

A solution to this was to use a VPN and it worked fine for a single client. The VPN that got used was Proton (free). He was able to actually log in and participate in a raid with no latency issues. Not sure if this will be a solution for you, and it depends how much you want to play really whether you want to go down this route.

 

Regards

-FFT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did some snooping, and found a solution. This may help other remote gamers too.

 

Phones default to broadcasting on 2.4gz, which doesn't work nearly as well as the 5gz. Androids can be changed in the settings. I tried today, and it worked perfectly. No latency issues. 

 

The setting is buried in the "tethering" or "hotspot" advanced options.

 

Cheers!

Screenshot_20210207-172524~2.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...