Device to scan and see specific ore type.

Howdy all,

Werewolf from original EnB, and Willbonney in our current game now.  I've discussed many ideas for "improvements" to the game in General chat, and given a few here on one of the forums or another over the years.  A lot of times I get the line "There is only so much we can do to manipulate the code we currently have."  Well, based off a lot of things I have seen recently, things do seem a bit different now.

With that in mind, I wanted to post an idea that I had back in the original days of EnB that I gave to WestWood, that I still think would be a pretty good addition to the game we now all play.

That idea is an equippable device that had a drop down selection that listed one of two things (upon discussion, there was a bit of debate which idea was better).  First was every ore type in game based on name.  All of them.  Second, was instead of each individual, was to just have a selection of levels 1 thru 9.

After the selection was made, the player would then activate the device, and within the range of it's capability (i.e. 1k for lvl 1's, 12k for lvl 9's) would "highlights" asteroids of that specific level in a special way.  Now this could be done in a couple of different manners.  For instance, in game you could see the asteroids differently.  As in a bright lights seems to eminate from the center of them.  (I don't think it would be difficult to mess with the gamma in a specific point, or have the code of the color in the center change a little making it appear to glow.)  Another way could be to instead, add little red dots on a player's radar screen.  We've seen this in many other sci-fi MMO's.  A small radar type deal to locate mobtypes or such.  WoW did it different in which it showed on the minimap icons for the mining/herb nodes.  Could do it as such, add it on the in game map so that when zoomed in, you would see in which direction the next asteroid you are looking for it.

That's my suggestion, thank you to all who takes the time to read it.  I also appreciate the amount of time other's take to post their opinions/comments.

Fly Safe o7

no, actually an anti-cherry picking device.

I originally came up with the idea  back when asteroids didn't despawn after a time period after someone had cherry picked.

If the device allowed to select for a specific mineral type, you would be able to find the specific ore type you were looking for even if someone had cherry picked the roid already.  If there wasn't the ore you were looking for, it wouldn't show shiny or whatever.

Cherry pickers would have a field day with this. Then the rest of us would have to listen to the cherry picking complaints for a month again.

no, actually an anti-cherry picking device.

I originally came up with the idea  back when asteroids didn't despawn after a time period after someone had cherry picked.

If the device allowed to select for a specific mineral type, you would be able to find the specific ore type you were looking for even if someone had cherry picked the roid already.  If there wasn't the ore you were looking for, it wouldn't show shiny or whatever.

That's like cherry picking what's been cherry picked.... 

• Upvote 1