Filling Empty Space and Equipment Ideas

DSMK2

Finally, back to EnB after a while.

This game really needs to make free warping more rewarding, going off the nav-points into the unknowns of the map. Chance encounters with a giant space monster herd, an occasional faction warship, or even a pirate outpost. Just having that would increase the scale of the maps and not limit the happenings to the nav-points or static places of interest. Would be pretty sweet if a single asteroid eater creature attracts a good number of players to an area for epic combat. Design contest?

As for weapons, more of fanboy suggestions <under the assumption the developers can do anything... Almost>...

BFGs: Really large missile launchers, projectile weapons, and beam weapons that provide powerful one shot damage, but chews out your energy, and has a reload time that prevents them from being a main weapon. Also slows your ship down. Sort of a bragging rights weapon, but should make boss runs a bit more interesting... End-Level weapons much?

High-ROF Weapons: Multi-rack rockets, projectile gun arrays, pulse lasers. Rapid fire weapons have a range cut, extremely nerfed damage, and quickly drains your energy and ammo. Wasn't there any burst fire weapons? High-DPS weapons are a want for me in any case. Great for picking off regular mobs. Death from a thousand cuts for higher end mobs if they don't kill you first that is.

Omni-Directional Weapons: I don't recall liking having to almost directly face the enemy all the time, would be nice to fly around the enemy with guns blazing, circle of death. Not sure about the mechanics of it though. Maybe make them the least accurate weapon sub-type? I'm guessing this might be more wishy-washy...

I do think that more variety is needed, particularily in higher level weapons, for all 3 races. I do think that Jens need more Plasma beams than they currently have available at L8 and L9, moreso than more Energy beams. (I think that Jens need Plasma and Energy to deal with different mob resistances, when that's implemented. Most MLs and PLs can use more than 1 type of damage, beams are hardwired to do one damage type.) Main point is that more variety in weapons is needed.

On beams they should make sure that there are choices in both energy and plasma, especially at high levels. (No race should be restricted to one damage type, in their racial weapon, if there are mobs that are immune to that damage type). Members of any race should be able to kill any mob, if you have enough of them shooting at the same mob at once. Energy only for Jenquai means that if a CL48 Manes wanders into Jenquai stars, 10000 JW shooting it at once, would not be able to kill it unless manes in EMU aren't going to be immune to energy like they were in Live. Beams should come in fast firing beams, slow firing beams, and beams that are inbetween, in both damage types. Faster firing beams, should do less damage per shot, and use less reactor per shot, on average, slower beams should use more energy per shot, and do more damage, Beams in between should be inbetween on damage and energy use, for beams of the same level.

There are likely times when you want to kill many little mobs fast other times when you want to kill bigger mobs. Slower beams that allow you to cloak between shots, and hit harder, may be favored by at least some Jenquai in the, killing bigger mobs, while faster ones for farming. I don't think that beams should be energy hogs, for the race that's supposed to be strong in the energy department.

It seems like beam weapons should have its own class of ammo, which imparts the beam with a attribute <burns out with each shot>, or just go with a laser propelled projectile. Though I'm not saying beams should be energy hogs, its more about the rate of fire not letting energy recover, more so on lower end reactors.

But to be honest, having a varied weapon variety can really create a lot of play styles... Bah, I'm still a newbie to EnB.