Problem Talking With Npc's

I hope I can describe this well enough. I am having a regular issue where when I try to talk to an NPC (any NPC) I will sometimes end up stuck without any conversation popup and the only way out is to log out of that character. Other times the conversation popups will come up, but when I click on a response nothing happens and I have to click the "X" to close the conversation window and get control of my character again.

No matter how long I wait nothing comes up, or the conversation doesn't progress.

This doesn't happen every single time, but it is happening fairly frequently for me. Plus once it happens with one NPC in a sector it seems to be a problem with all NPCs in that sector for hours for me.

This makes it pretty difficult to do any missions or trade with NPCs; which is crippling since I'm trying to start all my characters again.

I'm running on Windows 7 64bit with everything running as Admin and under XP SP2 compatibility. I have tried playing with different packet optimization and prototype reorder settings as well, but it didn't have any effect.

I haven't noticed any real lag or connection problems in game when I'm playing. But I have also occassionally had problems while gating/docking/undocking where I get stuck at the loading screen and have to terminate the client. Not sure if that would be related.

/endtalk doesn't work when no conversation windows pops up, so I still need to relog to get out of that.

I think the main problem was on my end however because a few days ago my modem and router reset after the power went out and ever since I have only had this happen twice. Talking with NPCs is now also immediate, almost no wait between clicking them and having the conversation popup.

No idea what the exact problem was, and my modem and router settings haven't changed, but the reset seems to have pretty much solved it. So I recommend anyone else who has this happen frequently to give that a try.