Critical Targeting

I was wondering if someone could confirm how critical targeting works on a JD. The max critical targeting skill adds a 70% chance to inflict a critical hit on a mob. Is the Improved Critical Targeting buff on say a Devastating Gaze at 200% (29%) added to the passive critical targeting skill to give 99% chance to inflict a critical hit, or is there a max cap on the amount of critical hit chance?

I was doing some beam damage testing on the Shield Combat test Drone at Vasen'or Prospect in Jupiter Sector. I had no devices installed and only 2 beams. I used a Ghost Edge energy beam to test the damage and only had the DG installed for the crit targeting buff and didnt use it to fire in the test. Out of 10 shots I would see 2,3 and even 4 regular damage shots (Yellow for energy) and not the red critical hits I should be seeing.

Now I was thinking that because my Critical targeting is at 99% (if this is how it works) I should only ever see a regular damage hit once maybe twice in 100 shots. This wasn't the case.

Is anyone able to confirm 1) my test results and 2) that critical targeting has no cap, in which case the bonus from additional critical targeting buffs are broken?

• 4 weeks later...
5 Views in a month and no response? I am the only Jenquai Warrior that has a problem with critical targeting on the Devastating Gaze not working when I solo? I have posted about this issue in the Bug Tracker, and in this Forum.

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1329335345' post='288']
No Item Provided, effect in general dead(?):[list]
[*]Improve Critical Targetting (for non warriors/non progen)
[*]Hull Damage Control (for non warriors)
[/list]
[/quote]
It's the first item listed in the Broken buffs thread. Not sure why it mentions nonwarrior/nonprogen though.

And as I posted in the JD thread where you also asked about it:
[quote name='will' timestamp='1331049287' post='55029']
The Equipment buff for Critical Targeting is turned off. It doesn't work for anyone anymore.

JD&PW's were getting ~100% critical hit rates with a DG/CFB until sometime last year.

Critcal Targeting is stacking additively in-game, whether or not it should:
70% + 28.6% = 98.6%,
instead of
1 - (1-.7)x(1-.286) = 78.58%.

Only prevents solo JD/PW auto-criticals though, a TE's Rally will still buff anyone with at least Critical Targeting L5 to 100%.
[/quote]

Yes thanks Will, I read your analysis before. I was hoping for a Dev to give a definitive response about how the critical targeting is calculated, whether it is stacking additively or not, and what is the protocol for stacking. Critical targeting is a passive skill - like navigate or prospect. Why are some buffs to passive skills calculated as a percentage and some are additive.
I mean I don't need another class to buff my passive prospect skill - why would I need a TE's rally to augment my passive critical targeting skill.

Also you mentioned you think the Critical targeting is turned off. Can this be confirmed by a dev, and what if any, is the projected amount of time before it is turned back on again?

thanks