Download Mirrors

Are there any 3rd party mirrors for the client? For some reason, it downloaded a lot faster at my dad's, and now it is downloading at 225kb/s. I don't want to have to wait an hour, and I just downloaded something from another site and it was 600kb/s.

[quote name='Slayerman' timestamp='1312743944' post='44172']
The downloads are auto mirrored with a random link selected each time you click a file :)
[/quote]

prob not a big deal but when i did a fresh install and hit the links the following happened...like 2) broke links 1) rapidshare asking for pswd and then 2 broke links again ...then 1) back to rapidshare then finally a link that downloads...

now the only reason i bring that ups is say a newbie gets on and does not understand it auto rotates and you can ..say if you don't want to make a rapidshare pswd and account can simply try it again...they would see the stuff i saw ...say the heck with it don't want a rapidshare pswd/accnt etc and punt..

i know in the past i've tried supposed'ly "free games" go to the rapidshare account and make a name and pswd and find out said "free game" or free emulator an't free at all

so anyway my suggestion is someting on the page like "if you get a broken link or a link you do not wish to download from simply re-do for another random download site"

or some such

just my 2c worth

searing

Ive removed the rapidshare link, i dont like these download sites, and they shouldnt be used as mirrors.

The links should be autochecked and any that are found to be dead should be automatically removed from the download rotation.

if anyone does find a dead link that has not been disabled, please let me know and i will take a look in to the script.

[quote name='Slayerman' timestamp='1312788194' post='44231']
Ive removed the rapidshare link, i dont like these download sites, and they shouldnt be used as mirrors.

The links should be autochecked and any that are found to be dead should be automatically removed from the download rotation.

if anyone does find a dead link that has not been disabled, please let me know and i will take a look in to the script.
[/quote]

the dead links were not that big a deal people could prob figure that out and try again ...but downloading a free emulator game from a site like rapidshare that requires a name and password would prob be a turn off to newbies.....anyway just my 2c worth (like usual not that i REALLY know what i'm talking about)

my 2c worth

Searing

(heh...and to those that really really hate my evil laptop compaq evon800v.....(the puter to avoid at all costs)....see its dark side does have a good point in helping to find the whole link issue above....(heh hear all the devs groan...) on a postitive note it now takes the uprades and patches just fine with no tricks or shortcuts....as i've said before the evil laptop is like a wilderbeast with a broken leg at the back of the herd ..if i can get on with this beast ....ANYONE... should be able to get on (due to my lovely 1995 un-upgradeable bios don't ya know)

and to you newbies Yes it really is evil (no kidding)

I've been happily hosting the files on my personal domain for a while even though I haven't been playing the game. But i've been looking to get back into it lately but I have some technical issues with the .NET framework right now. But anyway I will eventually have another mirror perhaps coming up eventually. In some cases you can get over 1 MB/s through my mirror if you live somewhere in texas. Edited by CptGemini

• 2 weeks later...
Dude i have gotten 404 errors on every single download. they are all over the place. Instead of auto directing, which takes a heck of a lot more programming, just put the mirror names and links right next to each download. It's far simpler and makes the user experience much easier. Also, you can detect immediately which links are broken. The way you have it setup now, the end user can never give you feedback as to which links are broken.

put a "link broken" check box next to each mirror and BAM you have instant feedback as to which mirror doesn't work. couldn't be simpler.