"Server Failed to respond to Login attempt"

UDP only I'm afraid. The old TCP system kinda worked for 50 or so players but didn't stack above that.

You'll probably have to play at home.

I'm guessing that the connection between the client and the proxy is TCP and the proxy and the enb daemon/server is UDP? This would imply that the client was originally intended to use TCP alone. How did EA management with the increased CPU overhead/lack of speed with TCP?

I'm guessing that the connection between the client and the proxy is TCP and the proxy and the enb daemon/server is UDP? This would imply that the client was originally intended to use TCP alone. How did EA management with the increased CPU overhead/lack of speed with TCP?

I this I remember hearing that the client actually supports both TCP and UDP connections for use between itself and the server, so EA might have used UDP after all. Also, they had huge clusters of servers, distributing the load greatly. Depending on how much they invested, there might have been a physical server per every few sectors (maybe even for every sector in the early, high-load days).