Scan range of NPCS

In Original EnB, Npc's could only see you based on your ship sig. Where they're range was set to 0.0k and if your sig was 6k, then they could see you 6k away. Now it seems their scan range has been increased (drastically especially for claimjumpers in carp) and can see far greater ranges then they originally could.

I was jumped by 6 claimjumpers and a bioripper coming from 10k away each because I attacked a single claimjumper. This has only been after xmas patch. I can no longer hunt claimjumpers the way I used to because of this. Please fix this.

Mobs should all have at least some scan range, but some mobs should have better scan range than others. Variety in mob capabilities, and behaviours is good for the game, IMO. I do think there should be some that are nearly blind, while there should be others that can hear your heart beat from 5Km away, but most should fall somewhere in between.

I do think that sig should affect how hard you are to detect, if the devs aren't already working on it, I suspect they eventually will, before the game gets to live status.

In Original EnB, Npc's could only see you based on your ship sig. Where they're range was set to 0.0k and if your sig was 6k, then they could see you 6k away. Now it seems their scan range has been increased (drastically especially for claimjumpers in carp) and can see far greater ranges then they originally could.

I was jumped by 6 claimjumpers and a bioripper coming from 10k away each because I attacked a single claimjumper. This has only been after xmas patch. I can no longer hunt claimjumpers the way I used to because of this. Please fix this.

What was your sig at the time?

All of the Bio-Ripper derivatives are highly aggressive and fairly decent scan, so that's one thing to keep in mind. IIRC, Claimjumpers are supposed to be socially linked in groups of 2/3. So firing upon one would bring the others to the one being fired upon. Once they reach that point, you're within scan range. This is just a guess, but I would think this would be good mob AI.

Hi

In Live mobs could see you based on what your sig was plus what their scan range was. Example: your sig is 4k, mob's scan range was 5k, they could see you from 9k away. If your sig was 0.1k and mob's scan range was 5k, they could see you from 5.1k away. Based on our documentation from Live all mobs had a scan range.

The Mob's attributes are being reworked right now. Each individual mob is now getting its own aggressiveness, bravery,altruism and intelligence settings. Its own weapons, shield and reactor cap, recharge rates,impluse speed, signature and scan range,hull points, resistances, loot drops, abilities and skills.

As an example of what you will see based on these changes: If a mobs altruism is high it will come to aid others of its kind, if low it will ignore your attack on its bothers or sisters. This is just one change that is coming in mob behaviour as we update each and every mob.

These changes were started to be implemented about 6 months ago, and based on the time it takes to update each mob it will take at least and other 6-8 months to complete if all goes well.

Hopefully, this explains why you are see changes in some mob behaviour currently and more in the future.

Riia

• Upvote 1