Local network server

Klaudius

The one feature I would like in this game, is a simple interface to set up a local network server from the net seven screen. Or a separate installer just to set up the server, and Net seven could just be inputted with the local server address.

There used to be a way to do it but it was complicated with a lot of editing. It was totally worth it, but it needs to be accessible to the player base and not just a network engineer.

This game is an amazing piece of work.

I really loved the original game.

I loved it so much that I'm worried that you guys might be heading down the original path.

I really don't want to just have this game come back, to go away again once someone gets married, looses their job, cant pay for server space, has an angry girlfriend wipe the build off a laptop, or has some other catastrophic thing happen in their life.

I will keep playing the game, and keep donating but seriously don't just bring this game back to have it disappear like so many other games without a way for us to run it locally.

You guys have done far to much work for that, and I really appreciate all of it.

• Upvote 2

+1

I would love to take a crack at the server code on my own and see what I could break. I have some C++ experience, probably not even close to the extent that Tien has, but if I could find something useful to help out the project, I would like that opportunity.

• Upvote 1

I think the code was made non-public due to people making their own shards based off the work done here. I wasn't around at that time so cannot say for certain. :mellow:

The server source is available on sourceforge.net but without extreme modifications it isn't playable in its current state.

I was working on a user-limited version of Net7 that could be distributed so people could have their own local servers, but I ran into a bunch of problems getting it to work and put it on hold. I was thinking that way we could protect our source code and still allow people to have their own servers, and it would be much easier for the average user to install.

Also, we're not going anywhere. A good bunch of people have our code and donations are doing well to keep both of our dedicated servers online. Even if something horrible happened, we lost our servers, and 50% of our girlfriends got angry and went to town on every computer in sight, we'd bounce back - and those are pretty unlikely circumstances.

Hopefully we'll be able to start releasing source code again, we just don't want to get burned the way we did last time, where someone took our code and called it their own. Incidentally, that's how our code got on sourceforge. (That code and DB work by the way, they're just 7 months out of date)

• 3 weeks later...

instead of releasing the source just release compiled .exe that way they can't take the code

???..........ummmm.......

You mean like just an executable file that can't be uncompiled but when you click on it still allows you to play the game? Something like e&b.exe?

• 2 weeks later...

That would be great also maybe limit active connections for local network server to something like 10-20

I was trying to do exactly that, but I ran into problems with the server executable running on other machines.

I was trying to do exactly that, but I ran into problems with the server executable running on other machines.

I suppose you could go at it from a different angle,Instead of blocking any connection after 10. Could you not add something to disconnect connection 11 after 1ms :rolleyes:

Edited by graveyard

What kind of problems, the "local" server executable should have a local IP with a loopback.

Fill in the IP on the client to connect (e.g. 192.168.5.2), presumably no "talk-back" code would be needed on the server, and if the client was allowed to specify an IP to connect to that should prevent "client" problems

All one would need to prevent your server and the non-local clients from even SEEING the local server would be a firewall set up to allow the server local access but not net access

ofcoarse if its a database access issue then the solution would be to compile the database into the server executable, or have it available as an "update" download (I'm guessing it would be too large for most dial-up users but I could be wrong - and they would only need to download the data for the sectors they wish to have active on the server)