DirectX 10 & 11

Is Earth and Beyond compatible with DirectX 10 or DX 11 ?

Is anyone running EnB with DX 10 or DX 11 ?

Any noticeable difference in look or performance ?

Are you running it on Vista or Win 7 (Or in XP mode).

The last I checked when I did a DXDiag on my Windows 7

it still shows DirectX 9.0c. Theres something on the Net

about Win 7 not reporting DX 10 or DX 11 correctly .

Its been a while since I checked.

No issues I'm just curious.

Phorlaug..

EnB uses (I think) DirectX 8, so DX 9, 10, or even 11 shouldn't have any effect on graphics quality. I'm not sure how you could measure performance gains in EnB, considering modern graphics cards could probably render the game at hundreds or more frames per second. I'd bet DX 10 and 11 don't have any effect at all on EnB; I don't see any difference between my DX 9 and DX 10.1 systems.

So having a better graphics card and DX 9,10, or 11

won't make a difference if "a" / the game is built on / with DX 8

technology ?

Now lets say NET-7 was to make the Game more visually stunning,

like say enormous 3D gas clouds, Or giant Debris fields or deeper

richer Renders.

Any Lag would be more of a client / server communication issue

packet size etc etc, and the Way our Boxes render and display the graphics

would have no bearing on the LAG no matter What Graphics card or DX

technology the player has installed.

When does The DX technology really shine or come into effect?

General Discussion

Learning..

Phorlaug..

Edited by Phorlaug

Yeah, assuming we had the ability to add heavy resources like that into the game, it wouldn't matter what version of DX your OS/GPU supported. You might be able to get the client to lag a modern graphics card, but it would sure be hard to do because the client limits the complexity and number of models it will render at once. For this reason, if you turn your graphics settings all the way down, you may notice models around you disappearing, some report even their ship poofs out of existence. To lag a modern graphics card, I suspect you'd need more complex models than EnB will allow you to render.

Any lag we have now should be of the connection variety. Of course, some crappier laptop (mine) and desktop integrated graphics will struggle in highly populated areas in EnB. Most of the time, you can tell the difference between graphical and network lag. Network lag causes things like rubber-banding, can make switching items between cargo slots a pain / impossible, makes warp impossible, and messes up chat; graphical lag causes visual choppiness, cursor lag, and freezing. You can also tell there is network lag or that you have lost your connection if, when you move, there is no engine trail.

Newer versions of DX are useful only for games designed specifically to take advantage of new DX features. Newer DX features are things like HDR (9.0c I think), more precise shaders, particle effects, and the like. Counter-Strike:Source is a good example of a DX 9.0c game and Crysis is a good example of a DX 10 game; I'm not sure about DX 11 since I don't have a compatible GPU.