EnB Backstory and Going Forward...?

I was looking over some of the original documents that support/build up the original EnB story line (someone linked to them here as a .RAR archive) and since these were a collection of various versions and revisions... most of these differ in mostly minor details from the story lines both in Live (as of Sunset) and what is in place in EMU.

Most of these seem to involve characters lime Dr. Malacore, or the "Shadow Cabinet" or the Malefari.

Others involve unreleased systems such as Chandilar, Sulani (hints of which appear in the JT "learn reactor build skill" mission) or Eridani, as well as the various other factions in those documents?

Are there plans by the content devs to try and stay as close to the original story line as possible, or should we expect something new ...?

Or perhaps leave room for a new interpretation of the backstory, in line with a "series reboot" such as seen in various comic book superhero universe continuities or the recent "Star Trek" and Battlestar Galactica reboots?

Seeing what Byahkee and other devs have done thus far (plus the presence of various gates and artifacts not present in Live) can lead one to speculate that the Content Devs plan to take the EnB story on a new course.

Also, how does one go about volunteering to write missions and storyline details, and such like that?

Hmmm - a layer of complexity we dont really need just now - we need to get the basics right and worry about such things later. Lovely ideas turn into nightmares to code, release and support. I'd agree there needs to be more done to allow faction-change with more missions and tasks that award faction. The vrix were useful, but we need mordanite to drop from roids as well. The Mordana? Nice to see them back. Getting into Bog-land - definately.

New races and new storyline? Hmmm. Right now I'd settle for being able to log on, have everyone able to get their core skills, have graphics work ok, mobs react with AI, sort out roids/hulks, and get the three new professions sorted out so they are on a par with the originals.

Here is the official response.

The original story had 3.5 versions.

The game launched with version 3.5 where the first patch was the first 1 year of story all in one patch.

We will be using a version "2.7" aka most of what was intended to be launched plus a few things from before in order to allow fluid story development. Most of the back story issues have been hammered for several years now. We have just decided to not start any story progression until after we get a stable setup.

Here is a little snippet.

Basically the story will start 24 to 18 months (in game time) before the original launch. There will be events that are causing race and faction conflicts as was initially intended. The game will progress towards a launch state. This is intended to allow players to learn about the story before any alien invaders come.

Tbohner

Storyline Team Head/Content Team Organizer

P.S. We are trying to prevent spoilers.

Guest Byakhee / Growlz / Builder

<snip>

Seeing what Byahkee and other devs have done thus far (plus the presence of various gates and artifacts not present in Live) can lead one to speculate that the Content Devs plan to take the EnB story on a new course.

<snip>

Actually, putting in content that does not affect the storyline is extremely difficult. This is flavour content, the 'fog of war'. Privateers were formed to supply the Progen with gear and not rely on InfinitiCorp / Jenquai. Renegade Progens expand the rogue Progen element and are a sub story arc. Anything I intend to do I send it through Tbohner and freak first; and also cc it into any content leads that it may effect [Terran, Jenquai, Independent]. This is what developers do, we contact others with regards missions and content, so it does not affect the storyline. Some Progen still are anti-jenquai and the Progen Republic are issuing missions to restrict the influence of InfinitiCorp Traders.

Some players may argue having the CFB as a reward is affecting it, and that's only because what is intended to be there instead cannot currently be implemented. Rest assured the CFB will not be a reward for the L100 if code can be put in to implement what I have suggested to the senior developers of the areas concerned.

I will not reply again to this question on the forum as I believe I have stated my case here.

[Work Computer]