Horrible lag when being attacked by multiple mobs

Joe

Whenever I'm being attacked by multiple (5+) mobs, I get abysmal delays on all game actions.  It's network lag, not poor framerate.  I asked about this in-game a while ago and it was recommended I use the /delag switch, but I can't even tell that it's doing anything.  I was told that it's because the client can't handle the incoming bandwidth, but I don't remember this happening back in old live at all.

Needless to say, this is kind of bad on a PW, especially if I'm to do any kind of raid where huge clumps of mobs spawn at once.  Is there anything I could possibly do on my end to keep this from happening aside from using the /delag command and avoiding most end-game content?

The delag switch is only working when the server is actually sending a huge amount of packets, which is the case when doing raids etc.

This is also proving, that your problem is not caused by getting too many packets from the server, so there must be something else and it is most likely on your local computer.

What i can think of:

Desktop - Firewall wit SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) or any other internet security suite scanning each and every network packet.

Please do NOT disable any of these products since they are needed on Windows machines connected to the internet, but you can look up the documentation of your product (if you are using such) and see how you can add an application to the "trusted program list".  The goal is to "white list" the EnB client exe.

A WiFI connection suffering from a lot of packet retries. Esp. with UDP packets (which every game is using) this can become very bad and a noticable lag is the result.

If you are on WiFi, try using a cable and if its accross the room just for testing.

Feel free to report back.

I seem to have fixed it.  My attention was drawn to the check box section by reading another post about disabling mouse lock, and I happened to notice the "Packet Optimization" box.  Taking on exactly the same kind of clusters of mobs I was fighting before (6 combat jobs on my JE to the same nav - engage assbeat protocol with max level PW), I went from extremely noticeable 2-3 second delays on switching targets, firing weapons, and activating a device down to basically instantaneous on all.