"locking Chat (To Last Channel Used)" In Game Unless Changed

When your privately messaging with someone (in game) you have to click R every time instead of just clicking enter i don't know if this is how most people playing prefer it? But on all other MMO's i've played that seems to be the norm could this possibly be changed in the future? or even better yet maybe an added option to have it either way for those who prefer it how it currently is.

the /r is for /reply, both "slash" commands, there is a whole list of them.
the reason for the /r is for "private" respond and to remain is a chat channel at the same time.
If you used the <enter> key it automaticly lets you post to the channel you last posted to, while not making you have to type the <player name> to continue a private chat also.
It is a chat feature that I and many others enjoy, especially if you are a builder/trader. It is especially useful for a builder to communicate with ease rapidly among customers, while also being able to communicate to a group/guild/ or market chat to get resources.

I don't see this changing anytime soon, but maybe they will have some additional chat options in the future.

If you weren't aware of it the /r also has a pull down menu that lets you choose between all the players you recently /r'ed to or PMed you, this too is very handy for builders and their suppliers, allowing a rapid way to access serial private conversations.

If you find the /r to unwieldy for your use, there is a current option you can use, a private channel, you and others you wish to carry on a convo with while outside a group/guild can both join a private channel (accessed through chat options menu) and then proceed in a free-for-all convo with just <enter> key needed to post.