Seem to hang a lot during gatings and conversations

Hi all. As always, keep up the great work guys.

So I have an issue that I've been dealing with because it hasn't been a gamebreaker so far, but it is getting a touch old. The server tends to hang sometimes (i.e., never finish loading) when gating between sectors and sometimes when starting conversations with NPC's. It seems to happen more frequently with gating than in conversations but it definitely happens in both places.

Sometimes in conversations if I wait 3-5 minutes the server will catch up and I'll be fine, but when the hang happens during gating it never recovers (I've waited 10-15 minutes at times just to see) and the only way out of it is to force-quit the game and restart the client. For what it's worth when it happens during gating, I often end up logging back in somewhere in the prior zone, pretty far from the gate that I had taken.

I think I have heard of others having a similar issue, but I didn't see a topic that really got to it. Thanks!

these are known issues and all I can say really is that we're working on it. The issue of hanging during gating is one that's going to get some serious attention very soon when I redo net7proxy, but I have noticed it seems to happen more lately than it used to. Still, we've come a long way since the early days of connection resets every 5-10 mins which could only be fixed with a relog.

For the NPC hangs you can use /endtalk or sometimes just chatting in one of the channels will unlock them (you can use local chat if you don't want to to send a 'test' message to the whole server).I'm not completely sure why this happens yet, although if it happens more with certain NPC's that might be useful. It'd be nice if it was an actual server comms issue but I suspect it's something a bit more subtle.

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1306381057' post='41169']
these are known issues and all I can say really is that we're working on it. The issue of hanging during gating is one that's going to get some serious attention very soon when I redo net7proxy, but I have noticed it seems to happen more lately than it used to. Still, we've come a long way since the early days of connection resets every 5-10 mins which could only be fixed with a relog.

For the NPC hangs you can use /endtalk or sometimes just chatting in one of the channels will unlock them (you can use local chat if you don't want to to send a 'test' message to the whole server).I'm not completely sure why this happens yet, although if it happens more with certain NPC's that might be useful. It'd be nice if it was an actual server comms issue but I suspect it's something a bit more subtle.
[/quote]

Cool beans. Thanks for the reply. :) I'll see if I can nail down the NPC conversation thing and I'll just keep restarting the game when the gating hangs happen because I'm so happy this game is here. Keep up the good work.