Help with Net 7 proxy

Wondering if anyone can help with an issue.

After work I sit for about 45 minutes waiting for my son to get done with school. When he is on Cadet duty sometime an hour.

The school has wifi but restricted. I can connect but 90% of the web is blocked.

I've tried to load up EnB but they wont let the Net7 proxy go through.

They use WebSence.

Any way of getting around this?

Heya

I guess it depends on what you mean by 90% of the web :blink:

If they're simply blocking ports then you could, in principal, make a tunneling solution to allow your connection through their security. Given that the Net7 proxy (most likely) only connects through specific ports, you'll need a way for that communication to pass through the school WiFi to those ports on the Net7 server. By using SSH with tunneling (PuTTY, for example) on a sanctioned port (22 might be blocked) you can have the Net7 proxy connect through another local proxy that, in turn, translates the port communication through a tunnel to an external SSH server that does the actual communicating with the Net7 servers. The solution can be pretty messy to set up (not to mention you could have yourself quite some lag) and does require an external shell account of sorts (if you've got a Linux box or another SSH server in your own home this does not have to be difficult) for the SSH tunnel.

On the other hand, if the security blocks specific domains and IP addresses you might have a much harder time trying to punch through. I wouldn't expect them to allow access to a very limited set of sites, but you never know. In this case you'd either need the IP address and stuff from Net7 to be accessible or, failing that, a proxy server on an accessible IP address you could connect through.

Anyway, I might be grasping at straws here. Best I've got right now, though :)

Think of it this way.

You go to Youtube, facebook, Myspace. photobucket, webshots, TheChive, TMZ are a few I tried. All blocked.

I'm not sure if it's a content filter or keyword style filter.

For example. If you go to Google and search anonymous proxy. Every search result you click on is blocked.

My oldest who is in High school deals with the same issue. He sits in the car with me as well, He'll do homework and most of the research he would like to get is blocked. Try doing a research paper on planets for astronomy and type in Uranus... Guess what most of that content is blocked. I do understand why they have these blocks in place.

All I wanted was to pass the time by running EnB.

Heya

I guess it depends on what you mean by 90% of the web :blink:

If they're simply blocking ports then you could, in principal, make a tunneling solution to allow your connection through their security. Given that the Net7 proxy (most likely) only connects through specific ports, you'll need a way for that communication to pass through the school WiFi to those ports on the Net7 server. By using SSH with tunneling (PuTTY, for example) on a sanctioned port (22 might be blocked) you can have the Net7 proxy connect through another local proxy that, in turn, translates the port communication through a tunnel to an external SSH server that does the actual communicating with the Net7 servers. The solution can be pretty messy to set up (not to mention you could have yourself quite some lag) and does require an external shell account of sorts (if you've got a Linux box or another SSH server in your own home this does not have to be difficult) for the SSH tunnel.

On the other hand, if the security blocks specific domains and IP addresses you might have a much harder time trying to punch through. I wouldn't expect them to allow access to a very limited set of sites, but you never know. In this case you'd either need the IP address and stuff from Net7 to be accessible or, failing that, a proxy server on an accessible IP address you could connect through.

Anyway, I might be grasping at straws here. Best I've got right now, though :)

You're entirely correct. Additionally, you'd probably need to tunnel the ports over a TCP connection, as I would expect the school to block all UDP connections. (I'm not sure whether SSH is TCP or UDP, though I suspect TCP, so it's probably a non-issue)

Essentially, you'd need to set up a server somewhere out there, whether at home or on some hosted server, to act as a proxy or go-between for your connection to EnB. If you don't have a good knowledge of the technical side of computers, I wouldn't recommend trying it. It's possible that I could write a small client-server system to act as a proxy, but I just don't have time, with my own college back in session.

If you do want to go ahead and try the SSH method as Tellus described, and have the required machine out there which you can access from the school connection, but is not itself filtered, I'll provide all the help I can.

As a side note, to get around the website filtering/blocking, you can use Ultrasurf to get around the internet filtering for web browsing. When I was in high school, we used to use this program constantly to bypass the web filtering. Hopefully, it will be allowed through their network. It integrates with Internet Explorer very simply, and can support Firefox and Chrome with a small bit of additional setup.

Could very well be a content filter.

I was about to suggest that you "just" make sure that you could ping the Net7 server and assume the problem solved, then I remembered the core of the issue :blink:

Another idea: if IP's are open, but they check accessed content by website searches and DNS lookups, you might be able to pull a fast one on the system by editing your system's hosts file. I'm not sure if it'll help at all, but if you manually typed in the DNS address and IP address of the Net7 servers in the hosts file it might (should?) bypass the DNS lookup. All the school WiFi would see was you directly accessing an IP address.

As a side note, to get around the website filtering/blocking, you can use Ultrasurf to get around the internet filtering for web browsing. When I was in high school, we used to use this program constantly to bypass the web filtering. Hopefully, it will be allowed through their network. It integrates with Internet Explorer very simply, and can support Firefox and Chrome with a small bit of additional setup.

We used a combo of PuTTY, the university's own SSH services and a local proxying app... popproxy or plugproxy or... bah, been too long.

Edited by Tellus

Could very well be a content filter.

I was about to suggest that you "just" make sure that you could ping the Net7 server and assume the problem solved, then I remembered the core of the issue :blink:

Another idea: if IP's are open, but they check accessed content by website searches and DNS lookups, you might be able to pull a fast one on the system by editing your system's hosts file. I'm not sure if it'll help at all, but if you manually typed in the DNS address and IP address of the Net7 servers in the hosts file it might (should?) bypass the DNS lookup. All the school WiFi would see was you directly accessing an IP address.

I suppose that's possible, but I'd be a bit surprised. Net7Proxy does a DNS lookup for the server address right at the beginning and uses that for the rest of the session. If they completely block DNS queries to unapproved sites, I would be quite shocked.

@OP:

It's always worth a try. Hit the Windows key and the "R" key together, then type "cmd" and press enter. When the command prompt opens, type "ping 87.106.15.67" and press enter. Then type "ping play.net-7.org" and press enter. Let us know what happens.

Pinging 87.106.15.67 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 87.106.15.67: bytes=32 time=154ms TTL=119
Reply from 87.106.15.67: bytes=32 time=153ms TTL=119
Ping statistics for 87.106.15.67:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 153ms, Maximum = 154ms, Average = 153ms
O:\SPSDUser>ping play.net-7.org
Pinging play.net-7.org [87.106.15.67] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 87.106.15.67: bytes=32 time=151ms TTL=119
Ping statistics for 87.106.15.67:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 151ms, Maximum = 153ms, Average = 152ms

When you load Net 7, it will load Enb, when you enter the user/pass, you get the INV-300 error.

How ever, I was able to get online.

Check the Local Cert, and delete the Local Ip address and the was able to connect.

Now I have something to do.