Legacy Video Cards/drivers

Just curious if anyone else is using legacy ATI hardware to play the game, and if so, what version of Catalyst or Omega drivers are you using? I have an older machine, AMD3500+ and a X850XT (AGP) video card and it works fairly well with this game but I do get heavy frame drop in a few places and situations.
The most common issue I am having right now is severe dropout when mining gas deposits and the camera switches to tractor view. I am using the latest official Catalyst software (10.?) but I was curious if using an older version which was basically current back in the mid-2000s would give me better performance.
I haven't been much of a PC gamer lately (married and work too much) and wasn't in a hurry to build a new machine; really shouldn't need to for this game. I'm actually surprised how poorly this set-up is working with some of my older games and was hoping that rolling back my drivers would result in some improvement.
Any suggestions?