Please double check spillover xp?

Something doesn't seem right with the way spillover xp is working. On my JE (CL 23/EL 36/TL 50) I traded off a few full stacks of lvl 6-7 gas and got a message saying 44250 trade xp earned. Then the next 2 messages say "50% of trade xp diverted to combat 17700 Combat experience earned" followed by "50% of trade xp diverted to explore 17700 Explore experience earned."

Now my question is, how come I'm not getting 22125 combat and explore instead of the 17700 that I received? Is there a cap to the amount that gets split or something else going on? Anyone else noticing this oddity?

Anyways, once I can build up a full stack of higher level ores (and thus have a larger base trade xp pool) I'll try again.

Edit and more info: I just did a trade run with my JS that's also TL50. The Fenris -> Somerled Nanobots gets me 2k xp per, but was converted to 800 xp combat, 800 xp explore. So definitely not 50% if the text can be believed.

The numbers look to be correct. Experience reallocated from one pool to another only does so at 80%. You lose 20% of the experience. From the Character Experience page on the website, the very last paragraph reads:

If you gain experience in a pool where you're already level 50, experience will be reallocated to the other experience pools that are below 50, with a loss of 20% of the experience. Once you are level 150, all additionally gained experience is sent to the appropriate experience pool, allowing a player to fill their experience pool. One skill point is awarded each time the experience pool is refilled from level 150 onward.

So if you gain 2,000 Trade XP when at TL50, 80% of it is 1,600 XP. Since your EL and CL were under 50, the 1,600 XP is split between them 50% each, or 800 XP to Combat and 800 XP to Exploration. This is exactly what happened.

The numbers look to be correct. Experience reallocated from one pool to another only does so at 80%. You lose 20% of the experience. From the Character Experience page on the website, the very last paragraph reads:

So if you gain 2,000 Trade XP when at TL50, 80% of it is 1,600 XP. Since your EL and CL were under 50, the 1,600 XP is split between them 50% each, or 800 XP to Combat and 800 XP to Exploration. This is exactly what happened.

Well that makes sense then, but why the confusing message of "50%" without any hint of the penalty? Still seems odd that I'm getting doubly penalized, but whatever.

I agree, the message is a bit confusing. While 50% of the XP does get converted over, it fails to mention that 20% of it is lost as part of the conversion process. Rewording the message would seem to be appropriate here. However, care needs to be taken to avoid making it more confusing or getting wordy. Maybe just saying something like "Trade XP diverted to Combat nnn Combat experience earned" would be better, not even mentioning anything of the percentages.