Gate Wars

Stoop

would probably involve messing with the client so probably a no-go, still it's something I think would be kinda cool....

As a special (rare) event hold re-enactments of major gate war battles and allow player participation (ie: PvP in those areas only). Of course if this were to be implemented announcements would have to be made where everyone can see it days in advance so low level toons would avoid these areas (Jupiter in particular). It'd have to be limited by the participating toon's race, as I recall the history the Jenquai had to fight both Terran and Progen fleets.

I know I'm dreaming but perhaps if these re-enactments ever happened, gating into the disputed sectors would temporarily grant the player access to the gating toon's racial capital ships.

The way I see it is like this: A Jenquai Defender gates into Jupiter, Jove's Fury does not exist, but Jove's City is not in ruins, the gates to Europa, Ganymede and Io do not exist (Jenquai hadn't split into Sharim, Sha'ha'dem and Shinwa yet). The sector's a major war zone and the JD is now piloting a ship that has the best of all features the three factions would later split (Psi-shield, Fold Space, Jumpstart, Shield Charge, maybe Summon as a couple examples wormhole was intentionally left out because leaving the area would turn off the event for the player). Of course, for all Jenquai players, this would be a losing battle because it wasn't until major players like Mordane Kathrada and Varen Aragotha showed up that the Jenquai had even a glimmer of hope.

I just think it'd be a fun event with no real point except to teach a little "history", perhaps by participating one could gain a certain amount of exploration and/or combat xp for all their toons (I would just like to see the battle, but some players would probably need the incentive to participate).

Like I said, it'd probably involve messing with the client so it probably wouldn't happen, but I thought I'd just throw it out there to see other people's opinions.

It sounds possible. The only things I don't know about would be having jove city not in ruins. We simply don't have an asset of a not ruined jove city. We would probably have to keep it looking the same and just pretend like it's not ruined. The other thing would be having classes with shared skills sorta. It could be done but it might be hard to fix and we don't want to make more bugs.

The rest of it sounds possible and pretty fun.

If you read the original development documents (near the end), there was fear that the gate wars would happen again, ‘history repeating itself‘. You’ll find NPC dialog recorded speech on it… at least in the dialog speech section of the original Westwood documents. I just say this because I brought up a gate war PvP system outline early last year, which was not a full scale war but fell to factional battles among those that just would not accept the post-war climate and desired to settle all the unsettled business left from the war. A system that would cater to large scale engagements.

Not to be negative to your idea, but I’m not sure how revisiting historical battles would fit into a game environment that moves forward with a story. It would seem that this would make complications for all players rather than having something a bit more discreet that us PvP players (PvP/PvE) would like to have and not take heavy criticism over. Really, the “I hate PvP” is very thick here, so this could be a hard sell. But Don’t get frustrated over what I just said, I too would really like to see some form of return to the gate wars, it’s something that requires serious consideration here as a PvP system begin:Dto be prepared. :)

If you read the original development documents (near the end), there was fear that the gate wars would happen again, ‘history repeating itself‘. You’ll find NPC dialog recorded speech on it… at least in the dialog speech section of the original Westwood documents. I just say this because I brought up a gate war PvP system outline early last year, which was not a full scale war but fell to factional battles among those that just would not accept the post-war climate and desired to settle all the unsettled business left from the war. A system that would cater to large scale engagements.

Not to be negative to your idea, but I’m not sure how revisiting historical battles would fit into a game environment that moves forward with a story. It would seem that this would make complications for all players rather than having something a bit more discreet that us PvP players (PvP/PvE) would like to have and not take heavy criticism over. Really, the “I hate PvP” is very thick here, so this could be a hard sell. But Don’t get frustrated over what I just said, I too would really like to see some form of return to the gate wars, it’s something that requires serious consideration here as a PvP system begin:Dto be prepared. :)

First off, I just want to say, I'm not frustrated. I take all criticism (constructive and destructive) with a grain of salt. But I do want to add a responce to your sentence: "I'm not sure how revisiting historical battles would fit into a game environment that moves with a story." How does the lvl 50 Jenquai hull upgrade mission where the player has to visit all the memorials fit? I know there's a few people here that are not from the United States but for those of us that are (and some that aren't) I'm sure you've heard of Civil War re-enactments or even Renaissance Fairs? "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." My idea would provide PvP'ers to have their PvP while only temporarily inconveniencing those that are strictly PvE. To be totally honest, I am terrible at PvP myself, but feel we all missed out on some rich story line by coming into the game post-Gate-Wars.

Hey that’s funny, I thought about mentioning the Civil War, but decided to make my post readably short, capsulated. Yes, some people take reenactment seriously, but then I think it goes beyond that here when cities need to be rebuilt, the environment changed. That is definitely not an easy thing to do, Kenu has that quite right, I know what He’s talking about. Then it effects the players, oh man, I’ve seen it get ruthless here against any form of PvP option or PvP supporter, mainly from misunderstanding thinking that they will 100% be drawn into it and/or be nurfed. Misconception.

Personally I’d like to see a system that is not propagated to other zones (as some Devs here have suggested creating new zones for it, out of sight out of mind) but use all existing zones and allow factional won benefits to all players, like vendors that sell at discount in factional home territories when the home faction has the upper hand in the faction war etc. based on a territorial capture system.

Even without changing the environment, I’m not sure how running a minimized system based on reenactment would settle with PvP players, as opposed to something that is on an epic scale and jives with a uniform storyline. Generally, epic systems do better than marginalized systems, being something the player comes back for day after day as the story progresses. Maybe I’m not the typical PvP player though, most of my mmog PvP experience has been strict progressive RP (RP-PvP) and in large groups/guilds, where the context of a developing story is actually more important than the combat. I’m not sure how reenactment could provide an evolving storyline, so seems very boring to me, apart from the developers standpoint of being difficult to implement on the content side.

Ultimately, I’d like to see a pure PvP server some day, run by another group of players/devs. From my understanding I see EnB having the potential for being a great PvP experience. It happens with all EMU’s, though this EMU is still too green to start that. They do plan to do something with PvP here, but not for some time it seems, and I fear that they will probably marginalize it anyway since there have been such disagreements, which means it’ll probably fail here. But there is still hope.

Im not sure on the logistics, but this could be fun. and for the PVEers out there, we can have a seperate sector for PVP only, like arenas, but have it be factions, almost like moto seems. personally I would love the chance to smash some puny jenpie ships. team pvp would be pretty sweet.

this is one thing that was severely lacking in live, it seemed like an afterthought. the problem is even though the classes are kind of balanced... players are OP in general compared to their NPC counterparts, extremely high damage output vs mediocre defenses makes for very fast skirmishes.

perhaps have 2 or even 3 gates into a zone, each gate is faction based. you must choose which faction you wish to participate on the side of, and more or less stick with it. you could even populate the zone with NPCs, and difficult to acquire resources or tokens(to be turned in for phat lewt) in a contested zone (especially since other players will be fighting you for them). picture epic pvp raids, where you have to destroy an opposing faction's capital ship, all the while other players and NPCs are trying to protect it. it is possible that I spent too much time in AV during my WoW days, but that sounds pretty freakin awesome.

from what little time i spent in moto, It seems to me that the zone could be set up as a designated PVP area, the zone has a certain pvp feel to it.

Here I’ll briefly recap what I’ve mentioned before.

Some zones have platforms that are key to controlling the zone/system, they can be captured (surrounded by defense platforms). Since currently each class has strengths and weaknesses, it takes teamwork to capture such platforms. So say to capture a controlling platform, it would require someone to upload a virus to the platform, which could only be done by a trader (or faster by a group of traders). Warrior classes are heavy defense/attack, defending form surrounding defense platforms and opposing players. Explorers have the ability to hack the platforms and make it accessible to the traders long enough for the upload to take place (which takes some time).

Each zone is flagged to the controlling faction, the faction that has the capture. To have the most captures flags their NPC’s to buy and sell goods at discount to that race regardless of their participation in the PvP system. So say the Terran faction is holding half the control point platforms, well then all Terran characters gain a bonus to negotiation for their race since control offers a more lucrative business for trade NPC‘s. Not to nurf negotiation to any races, but only a marginal bonus to whichever race has overall controlling faction. Also for that controlling race, having access to some special gates usable for shortcut trade routs, not many, but enough for "gate wars" storyline/purpose as they fight over gate control.

This is so PvP will be favorable in the game, in one respect or another benefiting everyone so to not make it negative as some view it, to not sweep it out of sight into arenas that toss out any storyline. And with the different class aspects of capturing platforms, one class is not left out in favor for another, but all needed for victory conditions and without balance issues. This is not solo-PvP friendly at all, but requires group tactics, planning and leadership.

So far all I've ever seen suggested would make it warrior class only PvP, and/or cause serious balance issues/infighting.

First off, I just want to say, I'm not frustrated. I take all criticism (constructive and destructive) with a grain of salt. But I do want to add a responce to your sentence: "I'm not sure how revisiting historical battles would fit into a game environment that moves with a story." How does the lvl 50 Jenquai hull upgrade mission where the player has to visit all the memorials fit? I know there's a few people here that are not from the United States but for those of us that are (and some that aren't) I'm sure you've heard of Civil War re-enactments or even Renaissance Fairs? "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." My idea would provide PvP'ers to have their PvP while only temporarily inconveniencing those that are strictly PvE. To be totally honest, I am terrible at PvP myself, but feel we all missed out on some rich story line by coming into the game post-Gate-Wars.

Jenquai are actually supposed to do the pilgrimage mission, right out of training, in addition to our L50 hull upgrade. Master Sevti gives that mission to all newb Jenquai. I'm not sure if it is, but it should be, a prerequestie for the L30 bonus mission. Also given by Master Sevti. Anyone who docks at Jove's Fury and reads the message, knows that Master Sevti should be talked too. "Welcome to Jove's Fury, All arriving pilgrims should see Master Sevti on the main deck.". Now if only we could get the Exit message. "The Jenquai Remember, Jove's Fury endures.

How about these two ideas...

1) A special event wormhole that slings you back in time and plops you down in the Gate War. Could be a new sector on the same server perhaps, PvP of course.

2) a separate PvP server called (well DUH) Gate Wars.

Just a couple quickie ideas as I play between gates. ;)

• Upvote 1

1) A special event wormhole that slings you back in time and plops you down in the Gate War. Could be a new sector on the same server perhaps, PvP of course.

+5

Especially if it keeps all the hotheads and their guns from potting me whilest I tend to my mining. :)

Especially if it keeps all the hotheads and their guns from potting me whilest I tend to my mining. ;)

Was that really needed?

It wouldn't have to be all warrior pvp, could have the Jenq's running evacuation ships and trying to get through the masses of attackers to a gate.

Repetition? Would that be something enjoyable to do again and again? And what stops it from being easily done when there are not so many around to guard the gates? Can't say I'm sold on it, but points for trying :D really. Good to have positive dialog.

The basis for what I mentioned probably is best known in like SWG or some of the games that function like that (pre-nge to be specific), where each class has a role so to conquer a base and cannot be done solo.