Tengu....1969 edition...

Well, I haven't posted here in years, even tho I've peeked in now and then, other than a random reply a month or so ago.  

But, long story short:  I just came across this 'cartoon' in a .PDF of the December 1969 issue of Playboy Magazine (yeah, yeah, I know...) and I actually had to stop, screenshot it, and come here and share.

It seems like some Westwood designers also read that issue:

vuo90.jpg

Not that I really feel the need to 'defend' myself, but, ok well I guess I do...   :)

I was just surfing through the new ebook uploads on a certain website (yar!) and saw a collection of every Playboy ever.  I'm only human, right?  Grabbed the first issue (historical interest only, really!) and also December 1969 as that's when I was born.

Honestly, the most interesting thing is all the retro-tech ads and car ads.  I didn't even think when I picked this issue, but of course it has the Christmas buying guide in it.  Disco balls and psychedelic lighting galore, or if that's not your thing - a Porsche 914 for $3500, or a 4-track reel to reel audio AND video recorder for $1100, take your pick!

As I said to my wife, "Honey, I won't even claim the old 'I only read it for the articles' with you, because I'm such a geek, I only read it for the ads...."

I would have to go with the Angler Fish as a representation of a Tengu.

attachicon.gifhairy-anglerfish-lge.jpgattachicon.gifAnglerfish_600x450.jpg

Good choice, it does remind me of them.

When it comes to mobs, and not just the Tengu, I wonder what the devs' limitations are w/r/t what they can make mobs look like.  I wonder if it's possible to make never seen before mobs, for sectors that weren't in the original game, but aren't in here yet.

I had a pic of an Anglerfish but it was too big to upload, so I settled for a Goliath Grouper.....actually, considering the true sizes of the fish (Anglerfish tops at under a meter, weighing maybe 15 kg, while the grouper mentioned could reach close to 3 meters and close to 400+ kgs) I'd rather meet the Anglerfish in real life.