Defender and projectiles

Has any JD'S ever tried to use them over beams? I'm really thinking about switching to these because beam's seem so useless. I have 200% player made beam's and my combat lvl is 22. But it takes me 7 shots or more to kill something 1 lvl below me. I just don't remember it being this way in live. I have devices that boast damage and it just seems usless if it takes this long to kill one mob. I have 3 beams on my ship. These are lvl 4 beams. During the christmas event it took 3 shots each to kill lvl 10 evil snowmen.

If you want to experiment with projectiles or missiles, max your techs, racial weapon (beams), and key skills first.  This will take you well into overdings.  After that, then you can experiment with alternate weapons.

You are still able to use Combat cloak even with PL's, so there is no change there. Try it and see if you like it...if not do a call forward. PL's are fun to use on JD/JS/JE.

I've used PLs on a JE in EnB Origins, they were useful in some situations, mainly when you wanted to keep your distance or formation fight.  They are complemented by Fold Space, (L3 Teleport Enemy) but you will find it difficult to get good range boosts for them, as most are of Sparta manufacture and are Jenquai Restricted. 

If you're doing the PLs thing the best items in the database IMO, for boosting PL range are the Heart of the Dark One reactor (I had an 85% one in EnB Origins and it got Ninja's Shurikens to about 7K range) or the 5th Vector Reactor, I have only seen that one in the database.  AFAIK there are no Player Made range extenders for Projectiles that a Jenquai can use.  The most available ones that I know of are the Slime & Ichor cannons, which have nice buffs, (range, handling) but those cannot use Plasma ammo.

The best launchers that I'm aware of in terms of DPS are the Ninja's Shuriken & Ninja's Tetsu-Bishi.  I have the Tetsu-Bishi line printed on my JT (can't promise 200% on the L8).  I haven't analyzed the Shurikens, though last I checked they were available at Jove's Fury.  She can also build the Athanor Luna required in both.  The L8 Zet Projectile Launcher, not to be confused with the Zet ML, does have a speed & maneuverability buff. (Shurikens, in EnB Orgins were big & pink, so they do look a little funny on your ship)

I'd still advise that you max your racial weapon & key skills first, and do the alternate ones later, but I don't deny that they can be fun to use.  I do think that they need some improvement in terms of equipment support, and harder to find buffs (for the race in question) to make alternative weapons more attractive.

Have a chat to Phorlaug

Did both PLs and MLs I just did a Call Forward to get both Beams and MLs.

Didn't care for them much so I did a CF(s) again to put the points back into Energy Leech.

I you are duel-boxing 2 JDs one with Beams and one with PLs would be nice.

The PLs are fun but lack the killing speed and you take out the Class skill Combat cloak,

I did the Projectiles with every possible item I could get my hands on that would enhance those

PLs in every way, Range, Skill, Energy conservation etc etc.

One item I did not get was the "aa" item for PLs that may of made the difference.

In solo combat if you didn't have to cloak they'd be fun but nothing more.

If you wanted to add Impact to your damage output with your beams that would be nice,

But your still not going to be able to withstand a frontal assult with just PLs.

To Cloak and shoot with just PLs your basically tickling the NPC prey.

If you had available to you, Enhanced PLs, Increased PL skill, PL energy Conservation,

Increased PL range, and Projectile Force your killing power has gone up substantually BUT

you will not survive a face to face fight.

I'll suggest a Combat Cloak Tactic for you.

Spam CC with Plasma beams weapons after your initial Plasma debuff.

Get Plasma Beams with different reloads 6-10 seconds your doing double damage faster

than waiting for all your beams to cycle reload to fire again.

Add one Energy beam with a 4-6 second reload, Remember your doing Double damage with it.

My initial observation is that the energy Beam does all its damage up front.

Subsitute one of your weapons barrage for an energy leech or Martyr's.

I can't work out the numbers right now i'm at work.