Combat Cloak bugged once again

I was out in BBW doing the L58-60 drones with little effort.

My equips have changed quite a bit from the Voltoi and Mordana.

I know I said that the turn rate is or was capped in game at 150, I'm looking at my ship statistics

right now at Net-7.org and it shows my Turn rate at 172. Not sure why their different but its not important.

I am also please to see that the Deflects of Chemical, Explosive and Energy do make

a nice difference.

So by adding the combination(s) of Manuveribility, Speed, Ship Signature and Improved Cloak could be

making a difference.

I am not one to dismiss the findings of my fellow player Jenquai or disbelief in my own finding in changing

or sacrificing DPS or a little recharge for tweaking the survivability.

I'm certainly not to proud to admit, I Was Mistaken. :blush: All are not as diffcult as they seem.

When I get a chance I will go back and check the Voltoi and Mordana again as well as the Mob Shadow had

done, with my new builds.

Thanks Shadowwalker, Knix and everyone else I got involved.

But please continue to publish your findings and tactics here or on the Race Knowledge base.

Along the same lines of what Knix said regarding damage mitigation, I firmly believe that Kyp is in error. Not all of the damage calculations are made at the time the weapon is fired unless the weapon in question is a beam. Only the "to-hit" calculation is made at the time of the weapon firing (accuracy and whatnot which may contribute to the total damage dealt). If a projectile weapon or missile weapon is fired, the damage can be mitigated/reduced by having your cloak fully engaged before the round strikes your ship. The farther along your cloak cycle is the less damage you will take. This can easily be seen by setting up a similar situation to the Zenshai combat drill in Rag or a Drone combat drill in BBW. If you delay the activation of your cloak by a half a second or so you'll notice that their missiles do slightly more damage, likewise if your cloak is activated near seamlessly after firing (and your pulling away from your target) you'll notice that the missile or projectile will do little to no damage at all.

One thing I will agree with Kyp on is what we "the players" see on our pc screens isn't always in perfect sync with what the server is doing. This type of behavior was very noticeable in an older online game I played many years ago (Mechwarrior 3) and can serve as a fair comparison. Since we were required to manually target other players, latency was a huge factor in your success or failure. It was referred  to as lag shooting. When you saw the enemy player, you were not seeing where he/she is but rather where they were a fraction of a second ago. Although the games are vastly different, that latency effect can be seen in EnB if the conditions are right. Good examples of this would be a mob miraculously skipping a few degrees forward or backward while your fighting it (The rubber band effect) or a mob seeming to shoot you with a directional weapon when it appears to be pointing away from you (Rear firing beams or projectiles).

As always... Keep your nose down and your finger on the trigger. Fly safe and have fun.

Edited by ShadowWalker
  • Upvote 1

I have to aggre with Shadow. Combat Cloak seems to work like before, aside from the adjustment to damage I can't say it feels different enough to suspect a change. The change to damage also seems small. I typically see "ticks" in the 700's from my level 8 plasma beams when out of cloak, and "ticks" in the 1300's when striking from combat cloak. My feeling is that combat cloak damage is about 180% of none cloak damage, or 10% less than double. 

When it comes to damage mitigation, I have to disagree with Kyp. All damage can't be calculated at the time a weapon is fired, at least not for damage over time type of damage. Those typically only get one "tick" if you cloak after the weapon has been fired but before the shell hits, so here some kind of check has to be made for each "tick".

:) Sure it is, when it's calculated for DoT, there's a fall off value that is calculated, and so each subsequent ticket is reduced until the effect ends.

Along the same lines of what Knix said regarding damage mitigation, I firmly believe that Kyp is in error. Not all of the damage calculations are made at the time the weapon is fired unless the weapon in question is a beam. Only the "to-hit" calculation is made at the time of the weapon firing (accuracy and whatnot which may contribute to the total damage dealt). If a projectile weapon or missile weapon is fired, the damage can be mitigated/reduced by having your cloak fully engaged before the round strikes your ship. The farther along your cloak cycle is the less damage you will take. This can easily be seen by setting up a similar situation to the Zenshai combat drill in Rag or a Drone combat drill in BBW. If you delay the activation of your cloak by a half a second or so you'll notice that their missiles do slightly more damage, likewise if your cloak is activated near seamlessly after firing (and your pulling away from your target) you'll notice that the missile or projectile will do little to no damage at all.

One thing I will agree with Kyp on is what we "the players" see on our pc screens isn't always in perfect sync with what the server is doing. This type of behavior was very noticeable in an older online game I played many years ago (Mechwarrior 3) and can serve as a fair comparison. Since we were required to manually target other players, latency was a huge factor in your success or failure. It was referred  to as lag shooting. When you saw the enemy player, you were not seeing where he/she is but rather where they were a fraction of a second ago. Although the games are vastly different, that latency effect can be seen in EnB if the conditions are right. Good examples of this would be a mob miraculously skipping a few degrees forward or backward while your fighting it (The rubber band effect) or a mob seeming to shoot you with a directional weapon when it appears to be pointing away from you (Rear firing beams or projectiles).

As always... Keep your nose down and your finger on the trigger. Fly safe and have fun.

I'm not, I promise. Although someone may have mucked with the cloak skill to give it a similar effect to what you describe.

Had a look at the code. Damage calc is done in one pass.

See, told you. :)

Had a look at the code. Damage calc is done in one pass.

Does this mean that any buffs or Debuffs after the fact will not cause a change in the outcome or recalculations ?

If I can cause an interruption in an NPC skill, will I not be-able to cause an Interruption or recalculation in the

damage output or Damage Mitigation.

One of my other tactics is to Hit the Chimaera's to come out of cloak then Immediately Hit Energy Leech and fire off

one volley of Beams and re-cloak, all done under 7-8 seconds. Thats a lot of damage to contemplate.

Is it possible to buy back, sort of speak, a second or two before I receive damage . That would be sweet.

Does this mean that any buffs or Debuffs after the fact will not cause a change in the outcome or recalculations ?

If I can cause an interruption in an NPC skill, will I not be-able to cause an Interruption or recalculation in the

damage output or Damage Mitigation.

It means that subsequent rolls will be affected, but if the buff is applied after the function has calculated, it wouldn't take effect that 'attack round'.

The reason you can cause an interruption is a separate function when a skill is winding up, skills and damages relative to them are calculated within the skill's function and not within the weapon damage functions. Damage is damage of course, but skill damage is a separated type.