Combat Cloak bugged once again

Well Like I said in the beginning of this and other posts:

Until the DEVs get serious of FIRST fixing skills to work as INTENDED before reducing damage output they are seriously hurting game play, basically the JENs are getting double nerfed.

Those of you saying they notice no damage difference between uncloaking and firing  or uncloaking then waiting 2 seconds and firing are not actually doing the math, just "eye balling it" is not how you test to find out if something is working correctly.

Those saying "Ohh well it is only a  10% to 20% reduction"  think of it this way ..... For every 60 minutes you used to play in combat that is now 70 to 80 minutes. So maybe looking it that way you can see spending an extra 10 to 20 minutes doing the same thing makes a difference.

I pointed this out earlier and it seems some DEVs were confused to as to my point to I will simplify it:

Balancing a game when there is bugs that affect main game play are ONLY done when a game has a PvP aspect to it. This is because people who exploit will  use it more readily when playing other players than playing PvE (unless of course there is a healthy real world market for in game items).

So the point is there should be NO game balancing going on until all the bugs in the game that affect main game play are fixed for a PvE game ...... that is and has been the normal way of approaching it in the vast majority of games.

• Upvote 2

Well Like I said in the beginning of this and other posts:

Until the DEVs get serious of FIRST fixing skills to work as INTENDED before reducing damage output they are seriously hurting game play, basically the JENs are getting double nerfed.

Those saying "Ohh well it is only a  10% to 20% reduction"  think of it this way ..... For every 60 minutes you used to play in combat that is now 70 to 80 minutes. So maybe looking it that way you can see spending an extra 10 to 20 minutes doing the same thing makes a difference.

I pointed this out earlier and it seems some DEVs were confused to as to my point to I will simplify it:

Gunsmith Dan:

Your first statement is exactly what we did. We fixed a BUG with how the damage was CALCULATED that caused it to be higher than the text from the ORIGINAL GAME had in mind. THe original game file said it should increase your Unmodified damage. Your unmodified damage is the base damage calculated before any bonus from skill and items are applied to your ship. Previously we were doubling the damage of the post-modified amount, and this caused you to be unnaturally higher.

I am not in any way confused by what we did, if that's what you're implying. I would do it again, although the first draft of recalculation WAS a little broken. We have met in the middle here, and you might not like it but it now fits the spirit of what was intended. I don't find that the amount of time you play justifies making you stronger so you can play less or min/max faster than another player. Simply put, we're doing what we should have done originally as of now. I'm sorry it made it as long as it did bugged, but it has been fixed and the complaint that it takes longer to kill something isn't really much of a complaint because the only way to counterbalance the extraordinarily high damage you had and make it fair for other players is to move them and all of the mobs UP, that's an epic undertaking compared to simply bringing your class to its baseline.

I'm not going to tell anyone to go and play another game, but we're not going to avoid problems just because we know someone will get upset, we wouldn't move anywhere with the game if we did.

You have a problem, present your math to the advocate and they will bring it to our meeting, but as of now the calculation works just fine and modifies your base damage as intended.

That's the final word on this topic from me.

I remember, about a year ago, when the PW was "nerfed." I know two people who quit the game because of it. I even remember a dev posting to another player that "having a PW doesn't mean you push the 'I win' button." Well, somehow, PW players survived and did quite well once they got used to the adjustments. I suspect JD players will do the same.

Funny that CC seems to be all about JD's.

When CC is "adjusted" so to make the warrior less OP it is allmost double the impact for the JE as it has 2 mounts less.

But I am only allowed to mine ores or defend myself against field guardians..

Is this even taken into account when "calculating" stuff?

• Upvote 1

Gunsmith Dan:

Your first statement is exactly what we did. We fixed a BUG with how the damage was CALCULATED that caused it to be higher than the text from the ORIGINAL GAME had in mind. THe original game file said it should increase your Unmodified damage. Your unmodified damage is the base damage calculated before any bonus from skill and items are applied to your ship. Previously we were doubling the damage of the post-modified amount, and this caused you to be unnaturally higher.

I am not in any way confused by what we did, if that's what you're implying. I would do it again, although the first draft of recalculation WAS a little broken. We have met in the middle here, and you might not like it but it now fits the spirit of what was intended. I don't find that the amount of time you play justifies making you stronger so you can play less or min/max faster than another player. Simply put, we're doing what we should have done originally as of now. I'm sorry it made it as long as it did bugged, but it has been fixed and the complaint that it takes longer to kill something isn't really much of a complaint because the only way to counterbalance the extraordinarily high damage you had and make it fair for other players is to move them and all of the mobs UP, that's an epic undertaking compared to simply bringing your class to its baseline.

I'm not going to tell anyone to go and play another game, but we're not going to avoid problems just because we know someone will get upset, we wouldn't move anywhere with the game if we did.

You have a problem, present your math to the advocate and they will bring it to our meeting, but as of now the calculation works just fine and modifies your base damage as intended.

That's the final word on this topic from me.

Well that's all very well and good but my last question is: Why are these changes always cloak and dagger nerfs? Why are they never announced? If you don't care about our opinions on the matter. Then why not announce them so that we at least know what is going on and can adjust accordingly. Rather than we log in to find that our weapons are significantly less powerful, and we start running around with calculators, trying to figure out what on earth(and beyond) happened?
I would certainly feel a lot better about these working as intended changes if they were announced properly, or at least mentioned in the "patch" notes. I find it slightly unnerving that you guys fail to mention such drastic amendments in any official format... 

Mainly Fish, it's because in a situation like this we're going to change it anyway so we can record the results and make sure its relatively sane, and then let up until it feels right. No amount of complaint supplies data that helps for making such decisions, and the data is irrelevant if not 'from the wild' as it were.

So, essentially this would amount to a 'flame the team' session where you'd yell and scream to accomplish nothing overall because we need to see how those sorts of things go. In this case, we listened and loosened it back up a bit, and it could have been worse than it was.

I don't see a problem with adding something like that to a patch note, though.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was there a Change made to Cloak again recently?

Specifically Damage/Maneuverability/Dodge after cloak ?

It seems as of the last 2-3 patches I am taking damage Long after cloak I have been cloaked ?

So far it looks like I am getting hit with everything being shot at The Cloaked Jenquai, This

includes some Voltoi Shooting PLs While facing at a 90 degrees angle from me.

I'm not getting hit with damage after being cloaked for a minute or two, So "See Cloak" is

not the question.

Today its the Mordana, yesterday it was the Voltoi.

I don't know if this change was intentional or not, It seems awfully strange. :unsure:

I'm going to do a few more test on it, to see if I can improve my Damage/Maneuverability/Dodge after cloak.

The main PROBLEM is there is no info of JD's stats changing or Combat cloak changes at all.

We just get NERFED and not beeing told.

Information is KEY.

Oooh and the only thing JD's really have is that burst damage.

their shields suck.

Also on another note why are changes on mobs not posted eigther.

Noticed a few changes like zenosh spots suddenly has not 54's and 47's. i can only see lvl 33's and 60's now.

Why are we not beeing told about these changes?

Was there a Change made to Cloak again recently?

Specifically Damage/Maneuverability/Dodge after cloak ?

It seems as of the last 2-3 patches I am taking damage Long after cloak I have been cloaked ?

So far it looks like I am getting hit with everything being shot at The Cloaked Jenquai, This

includes some Voltoi Shooting PLs While facing at a 90 degrees angle from me.

I'm not getting hit with damage after being cloaked for a minute or two, So "See Cloak" is

not the question.

Today its the Mordana, yesterday it was the Voltoi.

I don't know if this change was intentional or not, It seems awfully strange. :unsure:

I'm going to do a few more test on it, to see if I can improve my Damage/Maneuverability/Dodge after cloak.

I have noticed this also. Been taking serious damage after cloak from Tengu in Cooper and the lv48 Rogue Progen Commanders in Lagarto.

These lv48's in Lagarto can see me from 5k away and I have 0.0 signature. I have also killed myself once fighting one of them while he had what

I think was his Psi Shield? up.

I literally killed myself before I knew what was happening.

Its bad enough they throw everything but the kitchen sink at you the second they see you.

Its literally a barrage of weapons firing at you and it doesn't stop when you cloak.

I have noticed this also. Been taking serious damage after cloak from Tengu in Cooper and the lv48 Rogue Progen Commanders in Lagarto.

These lv48's in Lagarto can see me from 5k away and I have 0.0 signature. I have also killed myself once fighting one of them while he had what

I think was his Psi Shield? up.

I literally killed myself before I knew what was happening.

Its bad enough they throw everything but the kitchen sink at you the second they see you.

Its literally a barrage of weapons firing at you and it doesn't stop when you cloak.

Thanks for confirming with the Tengu, I was going out there to see if they have the same results.

I tested (So far) with a Tactical Computer Nine installed (Manuverability), no change. Still getting hit after cloak.

117,000 + XP debt, 2,500,000 + million in tows and repairs and 2% quality loss to key systems.

I will try Something for Improved Cloak and see if there is any way to get my sig below 0.6.

I will be without a PC for 3-4 days, bbl.

Ye not noticing damage after in full cloak BUT did notice something VERY interesting.

It now seems that beam weapons can curve, track and follow you when cloaking  ..... yes I am not joking.

I was fighting a lvl 47 Free Spacer Viceroy , which only uses beam weapons, and maneuvered out of it's firing arc but it shot at me the same instant as well. I actually SAW the beam curve around follow me and hit me while I was behind the MOB ........ wow not that Jenquai did not have enough issues but now MOBs have Homing Beams.

If MOBs can get Homing beams then the players should get some as well.

Seriously what next they gonna let the MOBs do.

Ohh and a repeat of a question the to date not a SINGLE DEV has answered:

Why do the large majority of high level MOBS have extremely high or immune resistance to Energy weapons specifically?

Edited by Gunsmith Dan

I noticed this while playing my Terran Scout. Flying past the attacking mob using their beams against me

It felt like they were shooting backwards 1 or 2 shots.

After that they weren't able to shoot me as I ran circles around them while firing my missiles.

As for the energy beams.

I would imagine that energy beams were the first developed beam weapons.

therefore all the races rushed to protect themselves from them, rendering energy beams useless.

thus the need to have new beams developed like plasma and emp.

As for bio mobs being resistant to anything, well thats just wrong. It should be like squatting a fly, only bigger,  no defense but its shield.

In EnB Origins Manes & Voltoi were immune to energy beams.  In the case of the high level (CL47+) Manes in BBW, were actually healed by energy beams.  Because of this energy immunity the Ghost's Edge beam was useless when mining there.   This is why I've argued, since EnB Origins, for Nishido to make Plasma beams, rather than having to use Terran beams.

Regarding the thing with beams curving. You may not have always seen the visual effect but all weapon damage is calculated the moment the mob fires. It's going to hit you no matter what you do to avoid it. We did not 'let them do this'. It has always been the case.

Regarding the thing with beams curving. You may not have always seen the visual effect but all weapon damage is calculated the moment the mob fires. It's going to hit you no matter what you do to avoid it. We did not 'let them do this'. It has always been the case.

If you're behind the mob and the mob is not equipped with missiles, should you not be hit, if you can cloak before the mob turns around?

Shaman.jpg

(Please Ignore the +Psionic)

I would hope that my ships stats, would indeed allow me to dodge or a the very least make the NPC Hit ratio drop Quite a few percentage points when I improve these statistics.

The same way a lower level player trys to hit an NPC of much higher level, Their Beams, Missiles and Projectiles go sailing off to no where.

There are of coarse a few reasons why this should and does happen.

1) the Players Weapons skill is of a very low level.

2) The NPCs (Or Players) ship is superior in Design, Manuveribility and Stealth.

3) Cloak Invisibility.

If a player wants to sacrafice DPS and/Or Device Buffing/Debuffs for Improved Survivibility

through Evasion(Manuveribilities and Speed) and Stealth(Cloak or Reduced Signature) the results

should be evident.

Lets hope all the Items installed with Improved Manuveribilty are not for naught.

Mock calculations: MSSC  :) 

Evasion/Dodge =
10% from Manuveribility

10% from Speed

20% from Signature

50% from Cloak or Stealth. (IIRC see JE cloak level Group Stealth or Cloak).

Stealth/Signature Suppression Wiki

"While no aircraft is totally invisible to radar, stealth aircraft make it difficult for conventional radar to detect or track the aircraft effectively,"

"It's going to hit you no matter what you do to avoid it. We did not 'let them do this'. It has always been the case." One can only hope and ask that this be Reviewed and/or corrected in the future.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, I suppose I just assumed that would make sense. The CALCULATION occurs at the time the mob fires. This is when your stats are considered. The calculation controls the damage you would take, once it is calculated, it is applied.

Regarding the question of cloak, if you are given the buff before the calculation starts, you would avoid it, but then you're likely to totally avoid the attack (and agro) to begin with if that's the case.

Fascinating !

I find the mechanics and math interesting and cool.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am going to assume that the Calculations start at the moment the ammo leaves the NPCs

weapon and Not when they are facing away(Except for Missiles Which would also coincide with Aggro?) from us and firing, 

For this instant 2 sets of calculations would be needed, One for Projectiles and One for Missiles.

Also if I'm understanding, Cloak Buffs, Sorry for the highlighter pen.

"Improved Cloaking (Equip) ::

Reduces Cloaking Engage Time by 2.1 seconds (to a minimum of 3 seconds), makes the target harder to detect with See Cloaking, and increases Stealth Strike time when equipped."

The 2.1 seconds should, by my understanding, delay the damage calculations by 2.1 seconds except for Missiles

where the Calculations would almost be instant.

IMO, then For NPC Missiles the ships statistics for Manuveribilities, Speed, Stealth/Reduced Signature would be

the better defense.

Or you guys could work or did work an equation whereby NPC output x .21 (point 21 for a 2.1 cloak reduction) = actual displayed damage..For cloak Buffs.

I wish this were the case.

Its going to be cool experimenting.

Fascinating !

I find the mechanics and math interesting and cool.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am going to assume that the Calculations start at the moment the ammo leaves the NPCs

weapon and Not when they are facing away(Except for Missiles Which would also coincide with Aggro?) from us and firing, 

For this instant 2 sets of calculations would be needed, One for Projectiles and One for Missiles.

Also if I'm understanding, Cloak Buffs, Sorry for the highlighter pen.

"Improved Cloaking (Equip) ::

Reduces Cloaking Engage Time by 2.1 seconds (to a minimum of 3 seconds), makes the target harder to detect with See Cloaking, and increases Stealth Strike time when equipped."

The 2.1 seconds should, by my understanding, delay the damage calculations by 2.1 seconds except for Missiles

where the Calculations would almost be instant.

IMO, then For NPC Missiles the ships statistics for Manuveribilities, Speed, Stealth/Reduced Signature would be

the better defense.

Or you guys could work or did work an equation whereby NPC output x .21 (point 21 for a 2.1 cloak reduction) = actual displayed damage..For cloak Buffs.

I wish this were the case.

Its going to be cool experimenting.

You're wrong. :)

As soon as the mob enters range and attacking you becomes legal, it will attempt to start its attack roll. This is when the attack calculations would begin, and they would resolve in a barely perceptible amount of time to a human. That being said, for weapons that cannot attack any direction, it *would* have to be facing you before the attack roll would begin. So for beams and projectiles it must be within range of the given weapon, and satisfying the same rules of that weapon as you would have to fire it.

You're thinking more than one set is required mainly because you probably do not understand the concept of object orientation. An attack is an attack regardless of what is trying to attack, the same steps occur. There are calls made to alternate functions which check ranges of the weapon and things like that DURING the same calculation. So while each calculation is somewhat unique in that it is making some different calls, it is still resolved the same way.

Now that being said, with respect to the cloak time, what that is telling you is that the cloak function has a modifier in it that causes it to resolve somewhat faster based on skill level. If it resolves before the damage calculation from that mob is complete, you would become an illegal target, and the attack roll would be invalidated due to the target becoming illegal.

Think of that kind of like this, say you're trying to kite a mob, you've just fired a missile and then you start zooming away while your weapon is reloading/refiring, if just before the firing calculation concludes you exceed the missile range, the mob becomes an illegal target, its the same thing. :)

I got it :blink:

Missiles fire I get hit, reguardless of what I have installed, no matter my turn rate, missile defense or if I Roll

spin, loop or Cloak. Nothing is going to change it or diminish the damage.

Attack Roll=Role, a particular act or situation. I don't think you meant dice ?

Missiles:

0=false

1=true

Range 1<calculations>Fire (legal)

Projectiles and Beams.

Angle 1<Calculations>Range 1=Fire (legal)

Below if none of the NPC weapons parameters are MET BEFORE I cloak

The NPC should not fire and I should not get hit with Projectiles or Beams when NPC is Not facing me.

Angle 0<null>Range 1=null (Illegal)

Angle 1<Calculations>Range 0=null (Illegal)

Kyp, I think something is amiss with The NPC, they are not following the rules !  :D  

In the past month or so something has changed, the Npc are shooting and hitting with Projectiles

while Not facing the player, Progen, Terran or Jenquai. True for Mordana and Voltoi (not yet confirmed).

I wouldn't bring this up if I didn't feel it wasn't true.

I have five other players checking this issue and also the Advocate.

The only other explanation I can come up with is, The DEVS saw it fit to give ALL or most of

the NPCs Missiles. I know thats rediculous right ?

Calculations=(E = mc2 )(c / 1.5 ≈ 200000 km/s) :P

There should be a way to evade damage through Maneuverability Countermeasures for Jenquai

Progens and Terrans alike.

FYI, "Turn Rate" is Capped at 150, through Maneuverability Buffs Equipped and Activated.

Not that it would make a difference in defensive tactics.

Any way thanks for clarifying.

I got it :blink:

Missiles fire I get hit, reguardless of what I have installed, no matter my turn rate, missile defense or if I Roll

spin, loop or Cloak. Nothing is going to change it or diminish the damage.

Attack Roll=Role, a particular act or situation. I don't think you meant dice ?

Missiles:

0=false

1=true

Range 1<calculations>Fire (legal)

Projectiles and Beams.

Angle 1<Calculations>Range 1=Fire (legal)

Below if none of the NPC weapons parameters are MET BEFORE I cloak

The NPC should not fire and I should not get hit with Projectiles or Beams when NPC is Not facing me.

Angle 0<null>Range 1=null (Illegal)

Angle 1<Calculations>Range 0=null (Illegal)

Kyp, I think something is amiss with The NPC, they are not following the rules !  :D  

In the past month or so something has changed, the Npc are shooting and hitting with Projectiles

while Not facing the player, Progen, Terran or Jenquai. True for Mordana and Voltoi (not yet confirmed).

I wouldn't bring this up if I didn't feel it wasn't true.

I have five other players checking this issue and also the Advocate.

The only other explanation I can come up with is, The DEVS saw it fit to give ALL or most of

the NPCs Missiles. I know thats rediculous right ?

Calculations=(E = mc2 )(c / 1.5 ≈ 200000 km/s) :P

There should be a way to evade damage through Maneuverability Countermeasures for Jenquai

Progens and Terrans alike.

FYI, "Turn Rate" is Capped at 150, through Maneuverability Buffs Equipped and Activated.

Not that it would make a difference in defensive tactics.

Any way thanks for clarifying.

I mean what I say and I say what I mean, except in the occasional case of a typo. ;). I did mean 'roll' as in a dice roll, because if you view a dice roll from the abstract, it is a random calculation based on the number presented by variables which are represented by each die. Thus, 'attack roll'. Incidentally this term is also used by D&D for example for the same thing. You make an attack roll and based on whatever your character has for attack stats and the values represented by the die, that's how you hit. (depending on your DM's whim of course ;) )

That being said, the trick with these is that what you see isn't necessarily what the server sees. The server views the world like Neo. It is all strings of 1s and 0s that represent direction, yaw, pitch, etc.

If your connection or your computer's rendering isn't so fast it eats E&B for lunch or you're in a raid situation where there's a lot of particle effects slowing your card down it may look as if a mob isn't facing your character when in reality to the part that matters (*cough* the server *cough*) it is.

Yes, each mob has its own weapon type though, there are no situations where all mob types have missiles, it's just what you're seeing and what the server is currently working through don't necessarily match up. There's some we can do to try to correct this but without intentionally causing lag so there's a lag delay during which cards and such could handle that workload more efficiently, there will always be some difference.

If you're confused about what I mean, fire up a multibox or better yet two PCs, set up identical characters and send them into warp to the same destination at the same time. You'll notice on each PCs screen that the account playing typically appears to be ahead of the other person. This is because the positions you see aren't necessarily the same as what the server sees or what everyone else sees, if that makes sense and is the root of why you see above.

Now, that all being said, this may have become more pronounced by a recent code change in which case we will eventually rectify it to some extent but it cannot be 100% solved except by making it single player in the MMOG environment. :)

That being said, the trick with these is that what you see isn't necessarily what the server sees. The server views the world like Neo. It is all strings of 1s and 0s that represent direction, yaw, pitch, etc.

If your connection or your computer's rendering isn't so fast it eats E&B for lunch or you're in a raid situation where there's a lot of particle effects slowing your card down it may look as if a mob isn't facing your character when in reality to the part that matters (*cough* the server *cough*) it is.

If you're confused about what I mean, fire up a multibox or better yet two PCs, set up identical characters and send them into warp to the same destination at the same time. You'll notice on each PCs screen that the account playing typically appears to be ahead of the other person. This is because the positions you see aren't necessarily the same as what the server sees or what everyone else sees, if that makes sense and is the root of why you see above.

Now, that all being said, this may have become more pronounced by a recent code change in which case we will eventually rectify it to some extent but it cannot be 100% solved except by making it single player in the MMOG environment. :)

You should run for office. :P

All I know is, I'm on follow, looking at the ass of a Voltoi and having

it shoot me with PLs and registaring damage.

"Now, that all being said, this may have become more pronounced by a recent code change in which case we will eventually rectify it to some extent but it cannot be 100% solved except by making it single player in the MMOG environment." :) 

Thank you.

The Change may of been a bit extreme or zealous.

Some changes effect other races or classes more profoundly especially when they are so dependent on the Cloak and Dagger form of evasion. Add to that any changes DIRECTLY to the race/class in resent months, its devastating !

Thank you, we can't add or ask for anything more. (Well we could :)  and probably will.)

Since I am not a quantum physicist, I'll leave all of the fancy math to you genius types. After a couple of days of testing, I was unable to find anything amiss with the cloaking skill. I tested in multiple areas with varying degrees of difficulty. One of these areas was the Zenshai area in Ragnarok where you will find the Zenlon (CL54) and Zenorsh (CL60) along with some lower level support ships. At first, my JD's shields got eaten off in a double hurry much to my surprise. I backed off for a moment, allowing my shields to recharge, and wondered what was wrong (since I had done the very same exercise countless times before). I decided that my timing might be off a bit since I hadn't been out to that spot in a month or so. Round #2. My JD's ship glided into the middle of the fray like the angel of death it is and proceeded to slice up the Zenshai with extreme prejudice and taking very little in the way of shield damage. I was left with only one conclusion... 'my' timing was off during round #1.

Nothing that I have noticed over the last 2 days leads me to believe that there is any problem with the cloak skill. It behaves as it always has (aside from the recent adjustments made to the combat cloaking calculations about a month ago).

Please bear in mind, that this was not the only test I performed. I also took my Seeker into a Fishbowl raid with my fellow guild mates and was able to mitigate the incoming damage by cloaking, while shield healing, as I had done many times before. This is not the easiest thing to do and the margin for error is extremely thin (Talesh the Destroyer eats healers for breakfast).

If there is a specific area or mob you would like me to test, I will happily entertain it. As it stands right now, I am satisfied that the skill is functioning in the manner it should.

I have to aggre with Shadow. Combat Cloak seems to work like before, aside from the adjustment to damage I can't say it feels different enough to suspect a change. The change to damage also seems small. I typically see "ticks" in the 700's from my level 8 plasma beams when out of cloak, and "ticks" in the 1300's when striking from combat cloak. My feeling is that combat cloak damage is about 180% of none cloak damage, or 10% less than double. 

When it comes to damage mitigation, I have to disagree with Kyp. All damage can't be calculated at the time a weapon is fired, at least not for damage over time type of damage. Those typically only get one "tick" if you cloak after the weapon has been fired but before the shell hits, so here some kind of check has to be made for each "tick".