Character name removed?

Really now, for those that may be light on epic Sci-fi media/stories, Riddick is NOT a dirty name. It's a real name for a fictional character as any sci-fi movie/book fan would know, See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riddick

Isn't this taking filtering a bit to the extreme? The action reminds me of childrens giggles in the 7th grade :angry:

Its actually fairly common for all online games to forbid naming your character after other copyrighted works. Its in the EULA or TOS most of the time.

I'm Assuming they are just following suit. So time to create a name more personal :3

Did you steal someone's main Avatar/Forum name?

- Marco

Not that I know of. I am aware of that, I wouldn't take someones forum name that they use in-game, but I've never seen anyone using that name here nor in the previous incarnation of these forums. If someone had a forum name/account that predated the creation of this named character, I would let them have it if they asked, of course. Other than that there should be no permanent claim on a name, just like someone grabbed one of my usual names for ST3 that I had in ST2 and 1 (have used it for years), so I didn't cause any commotion about that but just made sure to get it back in ST4. So I'm not sure why it was removed, either considered a bad name? ...which doesn't make sence, or someone with the power to do so just wanted to take it for themselves? That would seem abusive. But whatever the case, it was taken without any explanation, which seems very odd.

Its actually fairly common for all online games to forbid naming your character after other copyrighted works. Its in the EULA or TOS most of the time.

I'm Assuming they are just following suit. So time to create a name more personal :3

Wait, so "Riddick" is out of bounds but "Janeway", "Sevenofnine", etc. all pass muster? Smells funny to me.

Did you have a character with this name in ST3? Someone did and they were complaining about not being able to get the name again in ST4, so I would assume they got a GM to get it back.

if daywolf used the name riddick in ST 2 i'd say he has valid claim on it, though he really should have made a fuss during ST 3, as ST3 lasted almost a year.

on the other hand i do think that using names from other scifi material is really lame and so having met riddick only in ST3 always thought that he was pretty lame.

Oh you gotta be kidding me. That's really messed up. So I had to delete my character because a GM took away the name I entered and they never bothered to contact me about it to fix it. I've tried three times to contact a GM in game to fix this, but there are never any in-game.

So then that's all we need to do from now on. Once we make a claim to a name in-game, it's ours for life and all we need do is cry to a GM and he'll just happily strip it from anyone's character. I've been here since ST1, how come I've never seen "Riddick" posting in the forums? Just how many "main" character names does this person have? Damnit.

• Upvote 1

Honestly a char's name should be (and always has been in many other games, weather stress tests or not) on a first come, first serve basis. Weather these people were part of prior stress tests or not, it'd seem that Daywolf got to it first on this go-round.

If someone has the ability to rip another persons name when they cry to a GM about it. Well it leaves people looking at the staff in a ...certain way to say the least.

Besides...since when can you lay claim to a character's name? What right does anyone have over another to "Heey, that wuz mine first! give it back! *wine* "

I mean c'mon..

• Upvote 2

Well I’m not going to fight over it. I just think it’s poor management practice. I wasn’t going to say anything in the beginning (I know the real Riddick character wouldn’t wine, and I‘m not wining), but couldn’t find someone to fix the issue with my then screwed up character (now submitted to the void). If I saw someone with a forum name of Riddick, post asking for his game name back, I wouldn’t hesitate to release it to him. But I just think this was handled very poorly, no players should go through this. Just wanted some answers to an inappropriate action. Obviously whoever did it is not going to speak up at this point, since they didn’t bother to contact me in the first place to clear this up and at least get my character renamed so I can use it. I just ask that this practice ends here, or you will create a game full of winers fighting over names they think they own.