PvP, All the topic threads

Phorlaug

I think people are overthinking PvP.

Why do we need new equipment? The gear we have is good enough to kill mobs...it's good enough to kill each other. I PvP'ed in Anarchy Online, Delta Force, Asheron's Call, City of Heroes...there was no special PvP gear that I recall.

Flagging someone for PvP keeps it an option. If you don't want to do it, don't do it. Simple. Other games have done the same and it works.

Fear of getting ganked? Then don't play PvP, because you will get ganked eventually. Hell, I expect to get ganked in PvP. But I also expect to test my skill against superior odds. We know how a mob will act. We have little idea of how a real person will act.

Fear of losing gear? Make PvP no looting.

I find it hard to believe that a hard core EnB player hasn't at least wondered how one raid group would do against another in open combat within a whole sector.

And what if some snot-mouthed kid wants to taunt me after I die? So what? He killed pixels on a screen. I've died over 5,000 deaths anyway in PvP games, a few more won't bother me. It's just a game....repeat, it's just a game.

And yes...get the PvE content up first...top priority.

• Upvote 1

I think people are overthinking PvP.

Why do we need new equipment? The gear we have is good enough to kill mobs...it's good enough to kill each other. I PvP'ed in Anarchy Online, Delta Force, Asheron's Call, City of Heroes...there was no special PvP gear that I recall.

Flagging someone for PvP keeps it an option. If you don't want to do it, don't do it. Simple. Other games have done the same and it works.

Fear of getting ganked? Then don't play PvP, because you will get ganked eventually. Hell, I expect to get ganked in PvP. But I also expect to test my skill against superior odds. We know how a mob will act. We have little idea of how a real person will act.

Fear of losing gear? Make PvP no looting.

I find it hard to believe that a hard core EnB player hasn't at least wondered how one raid group would do against another in open combat within a whole sector.

And what if some snot-mouthed kid wants to taunt me after I die? So what? He killed pixels on a screen. I've died over 5,000 deaths anyway in PvP games, a few more won't bother me. It's just a game....repeat, it's just a game.

And yes...get the PvE content up first...top priority.

+1 Vitaes.

We are in a discussion planning part of any PvP ideas.

That may or May not be implimented in the years to come.

I wish I could remember a lot of my times in the EnB Arena.

I don't remember any alterations of any skills or weapons damage when entering the Arena

or didn't notice any changes.

Anyone Play World of Warcraft? Do you remember if there was a slash command or challenges something?

I remember challenging members of the Alliance outside Stormwind, I can't remember how the battle initiated.

On another topic there was also a way to fight a test dummy IIRC and get stats, this I remember

I did in Ironforge, I could be wrong.

But Kyp or someone said that the Damage to the NPC or visa Versa is different now then in EA Live exactly how

IDK. That could change the need for some sort of PvP change in Damage output. IDK

For testing purposes.

I say for the moment change nothing make a slash command two players want to go at it, let it be done.

• 3 months later...

That command in World of Warcraft was /duel, which planted a flag and the chosen target had to accept and it was a battle to whoever had only 1 hp remaining.

Solo and Group, /Sduel, /Gduel. For a starter to break up the boredom between content pushes..

I still stick to the last proposal  <---Click.

Edited by Phorlaug

• 1 month later...

I still advocate a PVP sector that does not offer anything you cant get anywhere else in the game to keep PVE players happy, but that maybe is just a excellent area to mine and hunt to encourage people to explore the area and try PVP out. Place a station just outside of the sector that people can register at, and have multiple gates in the PVP sector with a chance to spawn at any of them when you gate through to elimate the chance of gate/spawn camping.

The main difference between duels and arena fights is to provide players with content and activity, be that missions, jobs, or even just mobs and ores...and i would like to see a couple contested sectors, one for people clvl 25 and lower, one for 25 and above.

Besides that, I think it has all been hashed and rehashed over and over :)

• Upvote 2

I still advocate a PVP sector that does not offer anything you cant get anywhere else in the game to keep PVE players happy, but that maybe is just a excellent area to mine and hunt to encourage people to explore the area and try PVP out. Place a station just outside of the sector that people can register at, and have multiple gates in the PVP sector with a chance to spawn at any of them when you gate through to elimate the chance of gate/spawn camping.

The main difference between duels and arena fights is to provide players with content and activity, be that missions, jobs, or even just mobs and ores...and i would like to see a couple contested sectors, one for people clvl 25 and lower, one for 25 and above.

Besides that, I think it has all been hashed and rehashed over and over :)

+1

I can't add anything I haven't already said BUT... :)

I Vow to do be the very best Defender I can be in PvP and help anyone (Race or Profession) in my group get the most Explore XP in the PvP zone/area.

The DEVs have done and will continue to do their best to make the NPC AI more of a challenge, BUT they will never be able to give the NPCs the combination of intelligence, flaws, unpredictability and unseen spontaneity of a living breathing human being.

UNLESS one of the DEVs can create an AI of that of Skynet, in which case we are all screwed !

An NPC in the PvP zone/area to provide a call forward with the appropriate device from Arx Spartoi, may be needed. (Down the road)

I guarantee that your skill tree will be different, make it easier for the people that want to try PvP and switch back again.

Seriously, just open the flood gates in 3 new sectors, we'll smooth out the rough edges for everyone as we go.

How long has it been 7-10 years with PvE? PvP could take just as long or longer, it won't be perfect out of the bag nor was PvE.

How worried can someone be that their Item might suffer a dent or ding. By now a lot of the people have at least 1 or maybe 2 characters with the current end game items or can build them or have the billion credits to buy it.

Hell here's an idea. why don't we give one or all three of the new classes the skill or ability to restore an item to 100% quality (Loot only) and to 200% for buildables IF that Class has the Build skill and Level.

Make it insanely expensive regardless of the level, 5-10 million for every 1% !

Worried about the braggers and shit talkers ? Zero tolerance Ban them !

I expect to get incapacitated and die in battle, thats what we do now in PvE, there will just be someone smarter behind the ships controls that your shooting at !

Edited by Phorlaug
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Bump :ph34r:

PvP Player can fly Vrix ships?

PvP player is only able to speak Vrix language in select chat channels?

PvP Player only able See/decode another PvP chat?

PvP/Vrix can only attack other PvP/Vrix?

1 Vrix ship per IP address?
1 Day a month PvP in select sector? (29th)
Phorlaug can clone and then shoot himself?

Edited by Phorlaug

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of what was suggested by the players in our PvP threads is reminiscent of the Original games Arena, WITH the exception unlike the Orbs the "Metals Of Valor" can be accumulated and turned in for PvP specific equipment. "Medal of Valor" Stack, can be stored and are Non-trade.

From Original game.

invis.gif 2002-12-18

Patch Message for 12/18/02

Team vs. Team Play

The Nova Gladiatorial Games in honor of Anjuren Kahn are now in session! Do you have what it takes to stand with the mightiest Centuriata of the Republic? Can you handle 36 starships blazing through space in a contest older than the Gate War? Test your mettle, and find out where you rank! Seek out registration beacons in Glenn, Carpenter, and Slayton sectors to join the Nova Games!

The Nova Gladiatorial Games are separated into three divisions, so that pilots of varying skill can compete with others who are of equal ability. Participants can register in Glenn (levels 0-49), Carpenter (levels 0-99), and Slayton (levels 0-150) sectors, and will compete in 15-minute contests against up to five other teams. Each team can have up to six members, for a possible maximum of 36 players in each contest.

Players collect orbs throughout the arena by mining and using their tractor beams, or by destroying members of other teams and taking the orbs they've collected. Orbs can be deposited into goals, which are placed around the arena, which will then score points for the player's team.

There are several types of orbs, and each type is worth a different amount of points. Players can carry as many orbs as their cargo hold can handle (they don't stack), but should remember that while they are carrying many orbs, they become a target for other teams. (Players carrying orbs have a visible marker placed on their ship.) Orbs can be placed in a goal by flying near the goal, and the orbs are then removed and converted into points for the player's team. There are also a number of special occurrences (called "Kahn's Will") that will take place during matches, which make temporary changes to the rules and procedures.

Players can use most of their skills and any equipment during the Games. Also remember that each arena has a different configuration, thus making the challenges more varied. Each arena also contains a handful of "Kahn's Weapons," which may cause various interesting effects during the match.

Participants will not lose experience during the matches, and their items will not degrade. Ammunition will not be expended, though you must have at least one unit of an ammo type to fire the comparable weapon. The winning team of every match will be awarded experience. Player ships cannot be looted if they are destroyed, though if the player is carrying any orbs, those will be ejected from his ship if it is destroyed.

To join a match, first travel to the Arena Entry Point in your chosen sector (Glenn, Carpenter, or Slayton). Once you get to the Arena Entry Point, you can get the contest rules and registration information by chatting with the Nova Arena Registrar. To register, follow the Registrar's instructions - ONE member of your group registers the entire group by targeting the green Registration Beacon. All the registrant has to do is target the green Registration Beacon and wait for confirmation. The entire group will then be registered. You can also cancel registration by targeting the red Cancellation Beacon.

Edited by Phorlaug

• 5 months later...

optional PVP is a great great idea that i hope to see in the future, hopefully near future. 

As long as people have the option to fight or not fight it should be perfectly fine!

You cannot compare hunting tengu to fighting a person.  You thikn about many of the hugely popular well known games out there most if not all have PVP.  Streetfighter, Mortal Kombat, Halo huge successful titles thats been around for years are player vs player fighting.

It is the most fun option you can possibly re-impliment into this game.

I was told by someone that pvp was in the works and someone esle told me that there will be pvp in the future. I play with the hope of that day coming to past!

Just an idea, perhaps the winner of the battle wether its 1vs1 or teams, the death count and kill count is kept and first team or individual to say 5 kills each wins some small exp. 

Please please bring back PVP!

In the words of starcraft zealot:

I long for combat!

optional PVP is a great great idea that i hope to see in the future, hopefully near future. 

As long as people have the option to fight or not fight it should be perfectly fine!

You cannot compare hunting tengu to fighting a person.  You thikn about many of the hugely popular well known games out there most if not all have PVP.  Streetfighter, Mortal Kombat, Halo huge successful titles thats been around for years are player vs player fighting.

It is the most fun option you can possibly re-impliment into this game.

I was told by someone that pvp was in the works and someone esle told me that there will be pvp in the future. I play with the hope of that day coming to past!

Just an idea, perhaps the winner of the battle wether its 1vs1 or teams, the death count and kill count is kept and first team or individual to say 5 kills each wins some small exp. 

Please please bring back PVP!

In the words of starcraft zealot:

I long for combat!

Andromidis what character(s) name are you playing in the Emulator ?

"Imperial Army", what were some of the players names in that guild? I may of played with a few of them.

• 6 months later...

Andromidis what character(s) name are you playing in the Emulator ?

"Imperial Army", what were some of the players names in that guild? I may of played with a few of them.

Rather hard to remember names but a few that come to mind are  Skynex and Dundee

So pvp threads have been bumped once again :)

So some points:

1.PVP must be a  Opt In, not a Opt out. You have to knowingly getting yourself either into a zone for it, or in a state of engagement, it needs a redundancy check "Do you know what your doing? If so press yes, if you don't press no"

2."Balancing" of the classes for PvP needs be only in PvP. If something needs nerfed or buffed for the type of PvP engaged, do so either in the zone or time of PvP state. Don't "balance" the classes to fit PvP and have PvE effected.

3.Items rewarded/earned for/from PvP are PvP. Don't reward someone a hellbore or uber shield etc. that they can then put to use in PvE. The rate of drop from raids/manufactured etc. needs it's integrity protected. We don't need a bunch PvP epeen unbalancing PvE.

4.I would *suggest* the old arena (or close as can be achieved) be brought back before other tooling, balancing or zone PvP be intorduced. This could both serve as a "tutorial" for what is and can be done PvP, and would be a good journeyman step to take for those that have tripidations about full blown PvP.

5.Taking others point on Toxicity from PvP bleeding into PvE, I agree that it needs to have chats etc. altered to stop all the bragadicio etc. bleeding into market and other chats. (I disagree however with Daath's assesment of "Testosterone fueled" rants. Being the oldest brother of 7 sisters, I can attest that the biggest rants and venomous statements I have been witness to have been "Estrogen fueled".)

As to people "quitting" over pvp this or no pvp not I'm quitting. If they 2 tracks are totally seperated and can't effect each other, and you still feel you have to quit over that...well then you are a unstable reactionary and aren't really the type needed around.

• Upvote 4

• 3 months later...

A lot of what was suggested by the players in our PvP threads is reminiscent of the Original games Arena, WITH the exception unlike the Orbs the "Metals Of Valor" can be accumulated and turned in for PvP specific equipment. "Medal of Valor" Stack, can be stored and are Non-trade.

From Original game.

invis.gif 2002-12-18

Patch Message for 12/18/02

Team vs. Team Play

The Nova Gladiatorial Games in honor of Anjuren Kahn are now in session! Do you have what it takes to stand with the mightiest Centuriata of the Republic? Can you handle 36 starships blazing through space in a contest older than the Gate War? Test your mettle, and find out where you rank! Seek out registration beacons in Glenn, Carpenter, and Slayton sectors to join the Nova Games!

The Nova Gladiatorial Games are separated into three divisions, so that pilots of varying skill can compete with others who are of equal ability. Participants can register in Glenn (levels 0-49), Carpenter (levels 0-99), and Slayton (levels 0-150) sectors, and will compete in 15-minute contests against up to five other teams. Each team can have up to six members, for a possible maximum of 36 players in each contest.

Players collect orbs throughout the arena by mining and using their tractor beams, or by destroying members of other teams and taking the orbs they've collected. Orbs can be deposited into goals, which are placed around the arena, which will then score points for the player's team.

There are several types of orbs, and each type is worth a different amount of points. Players can carry as many orbs as their cargo hold can handle (they don't stack), but should remember that while they are carrying many orbs, they become a target for other teams. (Players carrying orbs have a visible marker placed on their ship.) Orbs can be placed in a goal by flying near the goal, and the orbs are then removed and converted into points for the player's team. There are also a number of special occurrences (called "Kahn's Will") that will take place during matches, which make temporary changes to the rules and procedures.

Players can use most of their skills and any equipment during the Games. Also remember that each arena has a different configuration, thus making the challenges more varied. Each arena also contains a handful of "Kahn's Weapons," which may cause various interesting effects during the match.

Participants will not lose experience during the matches, and their items will not degrade. Ammunition will not be expended, though you must have at least one unit of an ammo type to fire the comparable weapon. The winning team of every match will be awarded experience. Player ships cannot be looted if they are destroyed, though if the player is carrying any orbs, those will be ejected from his ship if it is destroyed.

To join a match, first travel to the Arena Entry Point in your chosen sector (Glenn, Carpenter, or Slayton). Once you get to the Arena Entry Point, you can get the contest rules and registration information by chatting with the Nova Arena Registrar. To register, follow the Registrar's instructions - ONE member of your group registers the entire group by targeting the green Registration Beacon. All the registrant has to do is target the green Registration Beacon and wait for confirmation. The entire group will then be registered. You can also cancel registration by targeting the red Cancellation Beacon.

Most of the suggestions are realy great, the sector PvP i liked a lot. But IMO we have to start from the beginning AKA the arena thing. If the arena have enough "customers" than later the DEVs can think about something bigger.

I know that DEVs have no time for this, because they have jobs, families, content to develop and of course they want free time.

I'm ready (and i am sure that i am not alone here) to help them test whatever they want so we can have the things faster and better. 

Liubosa

• 10 months later...

I would love to see pvp in a arena setting. For get all the medals of valor and rewards this would spoil the fun. Just have arena where you can pummel each other with no xp debt. PVP is also a great way to test out your builds and weapon load outs. We can talk dps dpm etc all day long but it is much much easier to test a weapon set up in 1 v 1 pvp as you can know exactly what the other player has. As for the comments on 2 jes dueling it out try any 2 jenqs period esp if both are using directional fold warp fire fold etc. It gets to be quite funny to watch.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, novaflare said:

I would love to see pvp in a arena setting. For get all the medals of valor and rewards this would spoil the fun. Just have arena where you can pummel each other with no xp debt. PVP is also a great way to test out your builds and weapon load outs. We can talk dps dpm etc all day long but it is much much easier to test a weapon set up in 1 v 1 pvp as you can know exactly what the other player has. As for the comments on 2 jes dueling it out try any 2 jenqs period esp if both are using directional fold warp fire fold etc. It gets to be quite funny to watch.

I was just thinking about PvP again, every time that the constellation of Orion comes to view in the winter sky.
To add to your Jenquai's doing Pvp a cartoon.

Jpvp.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 12/17/2016 at 11:51 AM, novaflare said:

LMAO

How hard would it be to turn on pvp ?

Turning on PvP IIRC, wouldn't, couldn't or shouldn't be hard, But I honestly don't know.
Guide lines for the PvP have to be set first, this includes: Damage, reward, loss and gains, and/or new sector(s) or server.
Some time ago the DEVs did a Vrix raid in the Jupiter sector, where the DEVs were flying Vrix ship(s).
This was in Stress Test #1 of 3. Its been so long ago that I don't remember if my equipment sustained % damage.
But I do know there were casualties.

The issue with PvPvE is:
1) The current game environment, balance and code has never been programed for sector (ONLY) PvP.
PvP server wide IS OUT OF THE QUESTION. That is one thing the entire EMU community agrees on.
2) A lot of the Emulator community can not stand the possibility of a EVE like scenario, with childish bolstering and head hunting. (I have painted a large target on my ship.)
3) A majority of the EMU community want to see the original Earth and Beyond content restored to it's former glory, before ANY PvP content is worked on or implemented.
4) Real life cost. Having a new server for PvP players for only half of the player base doesn't, in some eyes, this doesn't make economical sense.

I don't know if you played Earth and Beyond in EA live Novaflare. The Arena, when there was a battle ready to start there was IIRC a count down, just before the challengers 1 on 1 or group challenges entered the arena.
Again, I don't know how Westwood or Electronic Arts had the Arena set up, meaning, was the Arena on a different server or on a separate partition or separate drive on the same PvE server.

There are probably 2-3 DEVs that could answer that question more accurately than I.
I have just answered what the EMU community has said.

I have on paper what and how the "Joint Maneuvers" or "War Games" or PvP would start, (Game content mission chain).
The Orion sector I have here in this thread will always be the preferred (By me and some others) PvPvE battle ground. Small enough to get around, large enough to get lost and not seen and a Race starting sector safe zones for leveling and practice. (Should a PvP character be born in PvP).

• Upvote 2

On 12/22/2016 at 11:12 AM, Phorlaug said:

Turning on PvP IIRC, wouldn't, couldn't or shouldn't be hard, But I honestly don't know.
Guide lines for the PvP have to be set first, this includes: Damage, reward, loss and gains, and/or new sector(s) or server.
Some time ago the DEVs did a Vrix raid in the Jupiter sector, where the DEVs were flying Vrix ship(s).
This was in Stress Test #1 of 3. Its been so long ago that I don't remember if my equipment sustained % damage.
But I do know there were casualties.

The issue with PvPvE is:
1) The current game environment, balance and code has never been programed for sector (ONLY) PvP.
PvP server wide IS OUT OF THE QUESTION. That is one thing the entire EMU community agrees on.
2) A lot of the Emulator community can not stand the possibility of a EVE like scenario, with childish bolstering and head hunting. (I have painted a large target on my ship.)
3) A majority of the EMU community want to see the original Earth and Beyond content restored to it's former glory, before ANY PvP content is worked on or implemented.
4) Real life cost. Having a new server for PvP players for only half of the player base doesn't, in some eyes, this doesn't make economical sense.

I don't know if you played Earth and Beyond in EA live Novaflare. The Arena, when there was a battle ready to start there was IIRC a count down, just before the challengers 1 on 1 or group challenges entered the arena.
Again, I don't know how Westwood or Electronic Arts had the Arena set up, meaning, was the Arena on a different server or on a separate partition or separate drive on the same PvE server.

There are probably 2-3 DEVs that could answer that question more accurately than I.
I have just answered what the EMU community has said.

I have on paper what and how the "Joint Maneuvers" or "War Games" or PvP would start, (Game content mission chain).
The Orion sector I have here in this thread will always be the preferred (By me and some others) PvPvE battle ground. Small enough to get around, large enough to get lost and not seen and a Race starting sector safe zones for leveling and practice. (Should a PvP character be born in PvP).

I skipped live even though i was one of many who had been in the beta so long had a free paid up account. I was just to burned out. But i remember gut busting laughs during pvp nights in mid beta stress tests. Other games ive been in used a pvp flag you could turn on and off and made you pvpable any where in game so long as the flag was on others used a request system and again you could auto accept auto ignore or set to chose (imo the best system used that i seen). In these games we would some times toggle our pvp to on then play a game of hide and seek were we would go and hide some where in a zone and give the hunters clues. If they found us they would get something some times game money eg gold creds what ever other times a weapon armor what ever and for killing us they would get more. It added allot of fun to the game. Then of course their is build testing usign pvp where you can know every thing about the target and your own char. So you could test how your new armor (shields) performed against x or how much damage your weapons do against x.

• Upvote 1

I only remember pvp in the arena. I played from Beta until they switched the servers off.

Just dropped by to say that a huge amount of work is required for pvp to take place.

It isn't just flicking a switch to make players viable targets.

• Upvote 1

On 12/23/2016 at 1:39 PM, RedKite said:

I only remember pvp in the arena. I played from Beta until they switched the servers off.

Just dropped by to say that a huge amount of work is required for pvp to take place.

It isn't just flicking a switch to make players viable targets.

True.
If there were loot tables and equipped item damage.

Stage one PvP
First set of code: Shoot player
Second set of code: Debuff player. (Skills and item debuff)
We could have a lot of fun with just this above.

Below is where the largest amount of code would come.
Stage two PvP.
Third set of code: Loot player.
Server would have to search for the dead players race, profession, items in cargo hold, and available credits -%lootcredits
If a player has nothing in their hold a default loot drop table for common and semi-rare (MAYBE !) items.

Stage three PvP:
equipped Item % damage.
Server would have to look at dead players items and calculate damage percentage based on damage received and type.
All of this including the PvE code ??

But hey, what do I know. :)

• Upvote 1