Att: KPN and XS4ALL customers in the NL having gating problems (updated 04.Aug 2014)

Tnx all for responding, I agree its weird and not really tangible.

Tests yesterday with lowered MTU (standard set to 1500, i tried the highest possible and some lower values) gave me 3 good gates and then the problem appeared again to remain for the rest of the  evening.

As always all tested with disabled firewall.

Will test this weekend with a new router from a new installation, taking into account all recommeneded settings from previous posters and Zackman but tbh i'm not very hopeful of a good outcome....

Kind regards,

luke

Tested with a new router, exactly the same gating issue...i'm all out of things to try, it's a pitty :|

kind regards,

luke.

are you running on a laptop or home pc LukeSky?

Because if your running on a laptop try to go out and see what open WIFI points you got in the area. maby Mc Donalds or an star bucks they normaly have open WIFI spots. if that is working then try to find out what ISP they are using then.

• 3 weeks later...

hi i did try to set the MTU but it seems the versie of the kpn modem (V8) cant set MTU

And kpn says we cant help you with it, a other company did try it , but say its all locked in the modem and we cant change it.

So far i did spend 100 euro to fix but if kpn dont help the fix cant be set to the modem

And the networkcard dont have a option for it,

So ty for the time spend on it , lets hope with time it will get better

dit you already find a good solution for this problem Bonzo? i just recived the V8 modem my self aswell and also have those problems now.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry Jamoos, didnt check your reply there, I tested on 4 different PC's so far, WINXP, WIN7-32bit, win7-64 bit & win8-64 bit builds, from 2 different locations all WITH fixed cabling (i dont believe in Wireless ;-) ) , with 3 different routers so far...taking into account Zackman's tips .

so  i think i can rule out PC-setup and network equipment :lol: , just not too sure about network infrastructure in my country.....will keep testing sporadically but tbh i'm afraid i lost hope in a solution...

Luke

Luke,

this is mainly indicating, that the so called "POP" (point of presence) of the provider is simply configured to drop UDP packets first, when there is an overload.

ISP's are living from overbookings: Their business is gaining more, the more customers are using their lines. Normally the "good" overbooking factor is about X 8.

But there ARE providers (esp. big ones not expanding their infrastructure regulary) with factors about 20 and even more.

Lately, all the HD TV stuff is causing trouble, being routed through the same infrastructure. We are not watching TV (if even...commercial/add driven crap...) over "the air" anymore, everyone has a settop-box, mediabox etc etc. - so our pictures are coming basically from the net these days.

Make a test: Make a download from a fast site (qsc Europe or MS any "Service pack" will do) at night time(!) and write down the speed.

Repeat this test at 20:30 in the evening (when all the dudes are done with dinner, turning on their TV's and HD content) and see the speed now. Normally(!) you should not see any difference - but you will a medium up to hugh drop!

Why? Cuz the switches at the POPs are simply running at a constant overload.

I was kicking my provider here last month, they connected a new "village" around my town, and their new HD content was killing the lines. 

I am now on a fibre line from another provider and i have symmetrical upload and download at full speed no matter what time.

This is also the reason why a (eg.) friend of yours living in another area might have no problem at all with the line from the same ISP - the area is simply not overbooked.

Try a "social weak" area, where HD content offers (expensive) are almost not present - you will see way better speed and almost no drops of UDP packets ( UDP = low prio at every ISP, the first protocol being dropped under load ).

So the solution is:

Change your ISP, or your place you living at....sad huh?

Maybe look up a way "smaller" provider not using your current provider as a backbone - there ARE alternatives!

i hear yah Zackman ;-)  and i believe you are spot on regarding the overload issues.

i have no real problems playing other MMO's, but yeah they may handle their communication differently (TCP).

Alternatives ..yes like you said , my current ISP is the best for digicorders (movies/series, video on demand) , so take an extra ADSL-account (not used that much anymore in my area) with a competitor ISP  "just"  to play EnB, it's an agonizing choice - lol

kind regards, have a swell day ;)

Luke.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wanted to post what I am experiencing with the client lock ups when gating or using the station in E&B. Here's some system and ISP information:

• Windows 7 64-Bit
  • AT&T VDSL 45 MB 
  • Router Motorola NVG589
  • Wireless N & Wired 1GB Line
  • AT&T Uverse TV
  • United States - North Carolina

Should I attempt to change the MTU? If so, what to? It is currently set to 1500.

Thanks,

Edited by Xsaan

• 2 weeks later...

And you were correct. Once i checked "Prototype Reorder" the problem was resolved. :blink: Why isn't it checked by default upon install? If it was I wouldn't have wasted every ones time with it. Perhaps mention it in the install directions as well? I could be blind but I didn't see it mentioned at all in the install directions.

Anyhow thanks for the information. When I posted this a current player in the game had told me to make sure it wasn't checked!! SO I definitely got off on the wrong path from the start.  It was a huge relief when I could finally gate and or dock without system lock up!!

Thanks again!

And you were correct. Once i checked "Prototype Reorder" the problem was resolved. :blink: Why isn't it checked by default upon install? If it was I wouldn't have wasted every ones time with it. Perhaps mention it in the install directions as well? I could be blind but I didn't see it mentioned at all in the install directions.

Anyhow thanks for the information. When I posted this a current player in the game had told me to make sure it wasn't checked!! SO I definitely got off on the wrong path from the start.  It was a huge relief when I could finally gate and or dock without system lock up!!

Thanks again!

because there are also people with us that dont check the Reorder because it works better for them.

• 2 months later...

Just to add - I HAVE done the following (using Win 8.1):

- Packet Optimization - ticked

- Prototype Reorder - ticked

- Disable Mouse Lock - ticked

- Delete TH6 Files - ticked

- Debug Launch - ticked

- UDP Port 443 opened in Windows Firewall

- Disabled IPv6 - latest change, awaiting results - after 2 system jumps it dropped me again

- Put Clean Socks on

The "freezing" of the Galaxy Loading screens are still  happening (15% of the time) when I dock/undock/gate, although it mostly triggers when I go through System Gates. After I Ctl+Alt+Del and I retry a few times (sometimes after character selection the connection also drops)  it stabilizes for an hour or so.

I am running on a Wifi - but this never impacts on other older online games I play, like Hellgate Global or BF1942.

Hope this helps  o7

Edited by Naughtious

Hi,

I am in the Netherlands too - KPN, and I am getting dropped at gates. Was there a solution found ?

I have tried everything but the MTU.

THX

the solution that KPN gave me was realy simple to fix this.

Get a other internet suplyer.or buy an older modem on marktplaats but this modem needs to be atleast 3 years old, and hope you got the correct one. 

(and this was the advise of KPN them self because there is no other way)

Get a other internet suplyer.

While that might sound harsh, it could be the only solution.

If an ISP is doing any firewalling/port blocking on their side you cannot change - and if they are not willing to lift these restrictions, you are trapped.

Get an ISP that guarantees no ISP-side firewalling / port blocking, letting all traffic pass unfiltered to the customer.

Of course you need to take care about firewalling yourself, just plugging an DSL modem directly to your computer without any firewall and thinking you are safe (esp. on Windoofus) is like visiting Thailand without condoms...

well i had loads of problems when i used KPN and XS4ALL from KPN i went to Ziggo/UPC i dit not have any problems any more. and from XS4ALL i went to zeelandnet and also no problems there ( on the cable or wireless ) so i can say its the ISP thats fucking.

After disabling the IPv6 - I got dropped once in 4 hours of play

Is this consistent with provider side firewall ? 

teredo (ipv6 tunnel) uses outbound 3544/udp port. it may be handled differently by windows when ipv6 is enabled/disabled.

On net7, 3544/udp should be one of the sector servers .

Just to confirm - this is highly likely a Wifi or  IP issue: KPN (public wifi)

Reinstalled windows, updated network adapter etc.

- Disabled firewall

- Removed Virus protection

- Removed socks

I am still getting connection drops at gates

A couple of days and I will be back on another IP, still with Wifi - hopefully will see an improvement

I'm in the states and I get connection drops at gates all the time too.  Seems to have started with the last patch they did.  I don't remember where I saw it, but there was something in the forums about that patch containing an improvement that might help with multiboxing.  I'm curious if that improvement is causing all the drops.

I also see lots of complaints in the online chat about people getting dropped, so its possible your issue isn't related to KPN.

Drops at gates are always network related, not patch related.

The UDP ports are changing at sector change - so whenever you drop means, the new UDP port cant reach your computer.

Everything from here is based on the local setup (Router, Firewall, ISP port blocking etc).

Golden rule:

If there is a server problem, everyone would experience it - without any exception.

Perhaps it would be an idea to gather some data on this issue - make some sort of poll or something, requesting the following:

- Your O/S

- Memory size 

- Your Service provider / type of connection

- your Network Card (do you have IPv6/4 enabled/disabled)

- Wifi yes/no

- Firewall type

- Anti Virus software

- Frequency of connection failures

- Location in game where disconnection occurs

- Do you have issues using other types of software that rely on an internet connection

I have seen this phenomenon occur after disabling Firewall and Anti-virus...

However we might discover some trend like it only happens on Wednesdays if you are wearing bright pink socks, and have just eaten an Apfel STRUDDEL...!!!

YAY \o/

Edited by Naughtious