Spreading The Word..

So I'm guessing that by now some of you have noticed that numbers have dwindled some.

I'd just like to brain storm with you all on how to go about spreading the EnB-Emu around a bit.

I don't think a quick link to the download page in our facebook statuses is going to cut it.

I doubt there is any option for commercial advertising as Net-7 is non profit, and also lacks the money to fund such an endeavour. And if you're anything like my self, cash is not exactly in abundance to fund an advertising campaign.

I have a few ideas already, which mostly include frequenting every MMO based forum that Google can provide me with, as well as facebook groups, myspace pages and so on. I really think we could all be doing a little more in terms of pulling our weight with this project. My self included.

Social media is rife with utter crap going viral, wouldn't it be refreshing to see something that isn't complete garbage getting some well deserved press?

Also DEV input would appreciated, mostly in regards to if such an effort needs to be sanctioned first. Or whether we can just go right ahead with any ideas :)

Edited by FishJD

Well, what does the game have going for it? That would be the thing to spread around. I can't really answer that because I just started playing recently (the emulator, I mean, I played E&B back before EA shut it down). 

I think one of the biggest things would be the nostalgia. You could try the Eve Online forums, I know there were many people that went to play Eve after E&B shut down, so that would be a good place to start.

But I don't think trying to start a viral trend on social media like youtube or whatever would do much good. It's an old game, with old gameplay, afterall. There's certainly an audience for old games with old gameplay (look at gog.com), but I've never seen any old games create much of a fuss in social media (probably the kind of audience that likes these games aren't too much into social media anyway).

I understand what you are saying but you're missing the point. I didn't mean that it should go "viral" like that chocolate rain video, or "what what, in the butt". Just that with how easy it is for things to become viral. Surely there is a way for us to drum up some interest. I don't believe that the player base we have now is absolutely all the people in the world that would possibly be interested in playing this game. I only found out about the emulator going "live" because I just so happened to Google in on the very same day. 

Your post makes it sound like the only people that would be interested in playing this game are people that have played it before. I do not believe that this is the case and I think that if more people knew this game was out there, then they would definitely play it. The game play is still far better than any browser or tablet based game. You make it seem like it's a completely pointless endeavour. But it would not surprise me if you're one of the many people out there up in arms because you can't "access the content" due to a small player base in the near future.

Also if you read my post more carefully you will realise that I did not say that the only options would be social media sites, just that they were initial ideas. And the whole point of this thread was to generate new and better ideas. 

There are plenty or reasons to get involved with this project. It's more than just about opening the client. It's about being involved in a community that is actively able to make positive changes. It's about being part of the lore and history of the game, and indeed creating the future for it. I cannot think of a game out there, where players are being asked to write content and story lines for development.

It would be nice if we could get someone on twitch tv or a similar website. The only issue i see is the person that used twitch could be making money for advertisements or donations. I'm not sure if this messes with net-7s non-profit status or if its even an issue since the person would be a third party.  

• 3 weeks later...

I think Twitch TV would be great. There's another old game that's being run by a player community. The game company after shutting it down gave the code to some loyal fans. The game is Neocron 2. And its running better than it ever did.  And unlike EA the game company gave up the code and it's awesome. Look it up I'M playing it along with this game. But a twitch TV channel with this game would be amazing.

I had written a lot of words to this, but that annoying [dev] thing in my name means I can't post them. Grr. Long story short, there are two reasons, in my view, why the game's numbers are suffering:

1. Development of new and fresh ideas is stiffled by internal dev beaucratics. People who want to contribute are not allowed to. Sometimes, rightly, because their ideas are just plain broken. Mostly, because their ideas need an inertia shift (https://forum.enb-emulator.com/index.php?/topic/9682-a-set-of-new-weapons-idea/?p=83524), but it's easier to say no than wonder "how could I make this work..."

2. There is nothing to do. The game can be 'won'. Think about these hugely popular games:

-Counter-Strike

-Starcraft/starcraft 2

-Leage of Legends

-EVE online

-The Battlefield and Call of Duty games

What do these have in common? They don't have an endgame. You 'win' EVE by unsubscribing. You cannot 'win' LoL, you can only win that game, but there is always another. The same is true for Starcraft. You may be the best today, but tomorrow? Counter-strike? Same deal, there's always that next game.

WoW and Diablo both suffer from the reality that it is entirely possible to max out your character and 'win'. Once you have the best gear, there's no point to playing. You've won. EnB suffers from this same problem. Once you have the best stuff, you've won. There's no point in getting anything else.

Well, quite a few of us have the good stuff and still play, not so much for the gear as it is for the friends. :)

Wish i could say this. I played back in live and never got to end game. Because finding good hunting area's has always been a mystery to me. I get stuck with combat in my 20's and that's as far as i get. And in this version of the game finding people to help out with this is difficult. I have tried to team up with people and get turned down all the time. It is like a friends only game now. So if this game is to go anywhere that has to change.

FishJD:

Totally agree with you, E&B deserves more press than what it’s getting.  I’m also sure that the Devs would like the fact that we are showing our appreciation by getting more people play it.  More people could mean more exposure, potentially more help for the Devs and of course more financial support.  How about if someone could put together an updated gameplay “music video” with parts of the intro video added. (I could do that but I wouldn’t be the best at it.)  We could then submit it to the various review sites under the premise/heading “E&B is BACK!”  We can also post the same video on Youtube, Facebook, etc…   E&B Origins got 4 of 5 in this review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqcl3STgj9Q, why can it not happen again?

I think one of the biggest things would be the nostalgia. You could try the Eve Online forums, I know there were many people that went to play Eve after E&B shut down, so that would be a good place to start.

Nostalgia is the main reason that I actually started play again.  I am, however, a bit more aggressive than I was in E&B Origins…(looks at OL of main and alts) only a bit.  :-p    Nostalgia is probably a reason for most of us coming back.  We also have to remember the people who have never played E&B before and are looking for something new besides “bashing a monster over the head with a stick” or blowing up zombies.  Eve would be another good avenue to take to spread the word of E&B’s sunrise.  I would think, however, that it would be a form of advertising or “soliciting” as it were and probably would not be advisable.  Could someone else clarify this for me?

Because finding good hunting area's has always been a mystery to me.

http://net-7.org/wiki/index.php?title=Mob_Farming_Spots <--I put good spots in as I find them. "good" meaning "I could easily solo here with a single char." Mostly, I haven't found good spots later (cl 25+) in the game, but leveling with 2 characters (one that can recharge shields, the other that can DPS or tank or...well, anything basically) helps a lot. Mob swarming is a big issue unless you fight with super low sig engines, or can cloak.

edit: That link won't work directly. You'll need to sign into the wiki with your forum login, then try it a second time. Forgot to mention that.

Wish i could say this. I played back in live and never got to end game. Because finding good hunting area's has always been a mystery to me. I get stuck with combat in my 20's and that's as far as i get. And in this version of the game finding people to help out with this is difficult. I have tried to team up with people and get turned down all the time. It is like a friends only game now. So if this game is to go anywhere that has to change.

I do most of my leveling on my own, and I have no trouble leveling. When it comes to combat, I usually four tricks to get the upper hand on the mobs:

Keep my TL and EL high enough to have at least +1 shield level compared to a level-balanced character of the same CL.

I use Solar Sail engines for low signature.

I don't hunt the highest level mobs I can take out for leveling. I settle for about equal CL mobs when solo and about +4 CL mobs when dual-boxing. 

I use player made equipment.

From there it's race/class specific tactics to get the mobs down. Combat cloak for Jenquais, kiting for terrans and tanking for progen.

My terrans is about your CL, assuming your signature is up to date. I wouldn't mind teaming up for an hour of hunting a few times a week. I have kind of a tight schedule with family and such, so I can usually only play 8 pm to 10 pm CET on weekdays. That would be 2 pm to 4 pm EST or noon to 2pm PST unless I'm mistaken.

• 4 weeks later...

hello all . 

just found out (on quite random nostalgic search) that the emulator went live , cant wait to give it another try! :)

so thanks for all the hard work from the devs and all . glad to see it finally happened.

anyhow to this subject , the emulator really could use some publicity , since my English ain't that hot i prefer not writing a post myself , but i would highly recommend posting something here:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=12

Team liquid although its mainly sc2 / dota website is a wonderful community which i am sure we could find some support there , 

and i am sure there are many other likewise sites , 

if anyone (with decent English) have the time to make a  post about what is enb and where to find information about ti i would love to spread the word and i am probably not the only one. 

Anyhow cheers , and see you once again in space!