Mission NPCs and Refusal messages

Luciferish

Instead of the generic "Sorry, I don't have work for you, check back later" message we see can we get more information from these NPCs?

Something along the lines of:

"You are not ready for the work I have for you, you are not popular enough/too popular with XXXX (faction)"

"Your abilities are not great enough to accept the work I have for you (level)"

"I have no more work for you" (All missions completed that this NPC offers or there are no missions available due to class/race or similar.

This could be in response to a chat tree option of "So, do you have work for me or not?"

This would help greatly in the finding of content and what is available, what needs to be done in order to access the content, etc.  I know there are many missions out there and since there is no really good repository of those missions and what the requirements are it is often that players overlook missions from NPCs for easier to follow job terminals.

I know the idea sounds small, but with the number of NPCs offering missions this would take some time to implement but it would be a huge improvement over the guesswork currently required to find missions.

The mission requirements code doesn't allow for those options, Liucee. You either "fit" or don't, hence the default tree.

Example : a level 25 Jenquai Seeker visits an NPC who holds a L20 Jenquai Defender mission, a L30 Jenquai race mission, a L50 all race mission and a L100 pre-req L50.

This would require 4 possible responses :

1.) Simple No. (despite wrong class, but must be coded anyways for a lower level)    2.) No. (later, L30)    3.) No. (later, L50)    4.) No. (later L100, but you have to have done the 50 also)

The conditions are simply coded, ie. OL>20 + Race=Jenquai + Class=Defender = Yes or No. We don't track "which" causes the No or why the No should be Maybe Later. Answer = 1 or 0.

You would have us tailor individual default trees per NPC, with appropriate responses for their associated missions (sometimes 2 or 3 each for skill masters) and then modify those each time we add or change something either in the mission reqs or add a new module to the default on top of the mission trees we add ? How kind of you to plan ahead for our senior years. :P

We should finish it in about time for the Gold Box edition of the emulator.

The mission requirements code doesn't allow for those options, Liucee. You either "fit" or don't, hence the default tree.

Example : a level 25 Jenquai Seeker visits an NPC who holds a L20 Jenquai Defender mission, a L30 Jenquai race mission, a L50 all race mission and a L100 pre-req L50.

This would require 4 possible responses :

1.) Simple No. (despite wrong class, but must be coded anyways for a lower level)    2.) No. (later, L30)    3.) No. (later, L50)    4.) No. (later L100, but you have to have done the 50 also)

The conditions are simply coded, ie. OL>20 + Race=Jenquai + Class=Defender = Yes or No. We don't track "which" causes the No or why the No should be Maybe Later. Answer = 1 or 0.

You would have us tailor individual default trees per NPC, with appropriate responses for their associated missions (sometimes 2 or 3 each for skill masters) and then modify those each time we add or change something either in the mission reqs or add a new module to the default on top of the mission trees we add ? How kind of you to plan ahead for our senior years. :P

We should finish it in about time for the Gold Box edition of the emulator.

Well, then the mission requirement code would have to be updated. Just updating it to return the first condition not met and just adding it to the "Sorry, I don't have work for you, check back later" response would be an improvement. It would still be a lot of work to update the chat trees, but it wouldn't be as complicated. Just copy the updated "Sorry, I don't have work for you, check back later" response to all occurances. Then again, maybe dynamic text like that isn't supported in the chat trees.

That is what I was afraid of... I know that there are very big limitations in much of the code, but I had a little hope it was possible. Thank you for taking the time to explain the limitation to me, I do appreciate that very much.  It is too bad the original creators didn't see fit to make things more flexible, but I can understand the simplicity logic they implemented.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it if were possible for Knix's idea to be used it should.  Then you don't have to tailor every mission, just put in a script (if possible) that pulls the first failed check and displays the default answer, such as:

"You are too inexerienced"

I can't help (race)

I don't help (class)

You are too experienced
You lack (item/skill whatever)