Paramis Nebula "Effect"

Overtkill

Paramis Nebula Effect  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should this be turned off by popular demand?

• No, it adds to the game's mystery and flavor
    • Yes, I want more FPS please.

Hi,

I spoke with someone a while ago about getting a command in somewhere to turn off the silly nebula effect that was turned on a few months back. At best, It's quite annoying. They had said that Darkk was the dude who added it to game, and that they were going to check in to see in getting it added to the effects.ini file. Now that he appears to be inactive, will someone take the time to add this option?

Thanks!

Simple to remove if the DEVs so desire.

Sector Editor > Paramis > Set Debris Mode to 0

A command to disable this wouldn't work, as it requires an .ini change, not server code.

I for one like the effect.

It adds a sense of depth to the sectors imho, but to each his own.

Alternatively, you can disable this effect on your personal machine.

Have a DEV tell you Paramis' sector #, and navigate to that sectors .ini file.

Copy the debris mode entry's from a sector without them.

Make sure to backup before you do that, so you don't lock yourself out due to bad data.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a huge deal Darrk, its the way they are rendered by the engine on my GF590 on these big monitors. More distracting than anything as I spend a lot of time there. If they looked a bit more like the mining gasses (though not so dense), it would be a different matter as they'd be a bit more realistic. I have the sector lists from my dev days here, I'll figure it out from here on my end. I looked in there once before, but didn't think to knock out that debris setting as I wasn't sure what that exactly meant. (Didn't think that the setting was for the nebula itself.)

Thanks a ton for the info man! Greatly appreciated! I'll tweak it from here. :)

-Overt.

• 2 weeks later...

My Frames per second in this sector is around 35-40 FPS, compared to 60-70 in other sectors, which cases choppy movement... If someone were able to tell me what to change on my personal side to eliminate this I would appreciate that info...

Thanks.

I kind of like the nebula effect.  I could see how it could be annoying to some.  I'm reminded of one of the early Bora missions, in Tachyon, The Fringe, where you have to meet a crackpot who lives in a station hidden in a mined nebula.  That nebula was annoying since you really couldn't see though it and had to rely on your sensors to not hit anything.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread did inspire me to wonder, will we get to see this effect in future sectors such as Sho'da'kan Nebula or Eidenmist Nebula?  If so then the "flavor" aspect of the nebula can be elsewhere.  Eidenmist is mentioned in the maps in game resources, Sho'da'kan has a gate in Paramis.  Curiously I wonder if Sho'da'kan is within the confines of the Smuggler's Run system.

I have to wonder the overall relevance of polling the forums.. It seems to me that less than 25% of the player population even reads the forums.. Only the most active and involved players even look at these polls.. What about the rest of the players? 

• Upvote 1

I have to wonder the overall relevance of polling the forums.. It seems to me that less than 25% of the player population even reads the forums.. Only the most active and involved players even look at these polls.. What about the rest of the players? 

That's a good point.  I think we'd get a more accurate reflection of where the community, as a whole stands, if either the devs or the Player Advocate, would discuss this in game on the General Channel, multiple times over the course of a week or two.  This could apply to many more issues and not just the Paramis nebula effect.

I've seen the player advocate speak in open chat maybe 3 or 4 times in his tenure as advocate... even his posts to the forum are infrequent... But I agree there needs to be an attempt to reach out to the player base in a more total sense..

teh forumz is ebil!!! stay away! :P

Seriously, some people have busy lives and want to get as much play time in as they can. Others just can't be bothered to read em, and just play. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...