How did you aquire your nickname?

We were talking about this in new player so i thought I would start this thread.

How did you get/aquire/create your nicknames in game.

Mines pretty simple I enjoy jim bacchus and his voice and was a long time gilligans island fan in the 70's.

So his most endearing character was his voice in Mr Magoo.

So I started off as Magoo and since I noticed quite a few and went hrmm..

So my first name is Scott and I've gone by scooter in the past and said it together one day and liked it.

So Scootermagoo is my online nickname I use the different front parts of the nickname for muitiple alts and various things.

So for 12 years now I've been one form of magoo or another.

EA Live I had Scooter(te) Evil(ps) Devil(pw) and now I have 7 named magoo's now because of the 9 alts I have.

So how did you get your nickname?

In EnB Origins I wanted to name my first character Terence, but it was already taken, so my JW got named Torrence instead.  Terrell also happens to be fairly similar, but I found I liked the JE better than the JW.  My other characters get similar names based on those two character's names.

When I joined EnB live the main time i played was night,so being female i chose the name nightbabe....when it closed i moved to city of heroes, kept nightbabe but people shortened it to babe, i made a sg called the pinks and my toon babepink was born, when coh closed i found this was active again and opted to go with the name lostpink...now i have lots of pinks (alts/storage)

Edited by nightbabe

Liucee is from a long long time ago.. in a galaxy far far away... And it derives from an RL nickname I have had since I was very young.. Lucy - Luci - Liucee (Derived for EnB for an Asian feel to match my Jenny hull) 

I have had others over many games, but this is one of my first Online names, dating back to 1989 and an old MUD called EotL. And I have other toons that are not named Luci at all.. all incognito to everyone because I am sneaky like that.

K-thanks-my-2-bits.  ;)

In general, I use the names of characters I've created in various short stories that I've written.  In EA Live, my first character that I created was a TW named Mordayn.  Before getting too deeply attached to him, I realized that Mordane Kathrada was fairly important storyline figure, so I abandoned that toon.

I typically divide the character slots in any MMO that I play between male and female, so my next toon was a female--a PW named Nythalia.  This name was derived from combining letters from my own name and the name of my fiancee at the time (I used this name in many games).  Because I liked the PW a lot, this became my primary toon in EA Live.  A few years after sunset, my fiancee and I decided things weren't going to work out.  I abandoned Nythalia as a character name.

I had also created a male PE named Curis.  I later found out that there actually is some historical basis for the word curis, or more properly, quiris, in ancient Sabine/Roman which was a happy accident as Bob Ross might say: it means spear, as well as Roman citizen.  Additionally, Cures was a major Sabine town.  The problem I later discovered is that curis is apparently a feminine noun, and Curitis/Quiritis is a surname of the goddess Juno.  So, it doesn't entirely fit the male character, but I had invested too much in him by that point.  I've also, as you can see here, kept that name despite the inconvenient circumstances surrounding it.  Curis' ship is called the Double Helix.

Nythalia was replaced by Vipsania, my new  female PW.  That name was pulled directly from history books, specifically from Vipsania Agrippina, the daughter of Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa.  Her ship is named Gladius.

Lastly, I have a female PT named Syliana.  There's no real background behind this name; it was just another story character I created years ago.  Her ship is called Avaritia.

I have a bunch of other characters that I don't yet play with various names.  I've been getting an increasingly strong itch to play my Terran Scout, Lithos, but he's still very young.

I'm a retired ship captain. Amethyst is from HMS Amethyst, the British Navy ship that escaped the clutches of the Peoples Liberation Army in China.  She was trapped on the Yangtse between Nanjing and Shanghai for over 3 months and overcame problems with food and water shortages, being shelled and shot at frequently, river chain-bars, and being grounded a couple of times.  HMS Amethyst saw action in WWII and helped sink a couple of U-boats.

I've had a couple of worrisome incidents at sea and I always remember Amethyst's never-give-up, never-give-in character - a quality they teach you if you are responsible for souls at sea.

It also happens to be my birthstone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Amethyst

Many of my ships are named HMS - Hood, Antelope, Tiger, Sheffield, Ark Royal, Victory, Indefatigable, Revenge, Conqueror etc.

The rest of my toons are normally the result of panic at Character-Create when my first ideas are rejected because someone got there first - damn cherry-pickers.

In any game i've ever played, i've always liked to play the Hero, rather than the villian.

However, there is a certain appeal to being the bad boy, and a bit mysterious.

It's that which inspired me to chose "Dark" for my first online game: Earth and Beyond

However, being a rather popular game at the time, "Dark" was already taken.

Thus the second K was born.

The surname "Hero" was added for my second MMO: Star Wars Galaxies

"Darkk Hero" has been my online handle ever since. B)

I wanted a name suitable for a true Jenquai (JE) believer. I studied Latin, and Vitaes is an old Latin form of Vitae, or life. Vitae is also a term from my favorite MMO ever, Asheron's Call, so I decided to simply go with Vitaes, as it looked more normal for a name. As for my PW, Doberman...well, after I kicked my mentally unbalanced bitch girl friend out of my first house, I wanted a companion that could take care of the place while I was working and give me a reason to get out and stay in shape. I got a dog, a Doberman. His name was Brutus, but I think someone had that name in game at the time, so I simply named myself Doberman. Kind of fits with the whole Dog Soldier Progen thing too. He was my good buddy for almost 15 years. He saved my property too. One night I woke up to find his paws on my chest, barking like a madman. Half asleep, I followed him to the back door. My shed and trees behind the shed were on fire. About 3 seconds later the half gallon of gas I had in the shed went up. I called the fire department, and they stopped the fire from reaching the house. I'll never be without a dog. Best and most loyal pet ever.

Very cool thread, never really thought about how everyone comes to the names for their toons...:)

Mine is  from Ursula Le Guin's A Wizard of Earthsea: a harrekki is a tiny dragon that people keep as pets in certain isles.  My TT is named Ayanosuke, which is from the anime Yotoden.  I used these names during live, so I wanted to keep them.

Good stories.... mine is a slight bastardization of the gaelic version origins of my family name.  I adopted the change in E&B live and have used it ever since.  It seemed a bit cumbersome in its original form.   

"Mac Ghille Mhuire translates as 'son of the virgin Mary's servant."  The origins of my family name.  An ancient Clan of the Isle of Lewis and Isle of Man in Scotland.

Both my play name and my dev name are old dungeons and dragons pnp characters i created.  Yep, I made them up.  Ryle is a play on the word Rile, since the character was an angry jaded paladin with a penchant for chaos that often got him in trouble, and Stanig was a sort of blending of Stan Big, a hulking half-orc that could only say those two words in common (referring to himself, and usually after he won a battle).

My Name goes way back to my childhood, way back in school.  in R/L My last name is Wood.  the kids called my Wood, Woody, (and a few that I wont print here {i am Self Censoring myself})  about the time i was in 10 grade the "Peanuts Gang"  cartoons were running for a while when they added a new character a little yellow bird named Woodstock,  I was wearing a yellow shirt at school that day someone called me Woodstock, (i was I like that one, i'll answer to it). I answered I like it, Ok  its Woodstock, so since the early 1970's Woodstock has been my Nickname, when im on any game that requires a user or character name I use Woodstock, I also use Yellowbird in some games because Woodstock was taken. And now you know the rest of the story.....

E&B back in 2002 was my first ever online game, so i wanted something that would hint of my place of origin while maintaining an aggressive meaning for those that understood or knew the Greek reference.

This was all long before the 300 movie that made me famous :P and there is also an actual meaning tied to the name, nightmare.

Rest of my Terrans i just translated the class to its Greek word, its not like anyone without Greek language knowledge would ever understand them. I was surprised to see Arx Emporos in game :lol:

Very good thread :D

My original "CB" handle was "Shadow" back in the mid-late 70's which I used a lot !!! Breaker Breaker :S

When the "Tinterweb" came about, and I got with AOL, I wanted to use "Shadow" also, but it was taken and AOL gave a suggestion of "Shadx1"

Shadx1 became Shaddex.

Ive been "Shaddex" in gaming since then, in every game I play.  I also use Shadow Squadron for my Corp / Guilds etc.

(Although Lately some other people have used it.  DJ Shaddex = Not Me !!!!)

Yuritau and Tiel and Rioria are names I got from keyboard smashing and pruning out a couple letters.

Miraya and Miroewyn I got from the KOTOR random name generator.

Saila and Liane are names I've stolen from novels.

Gerbie was a nickname I used to have in highschool.

Seriously. I got pissed that all the names I wanted were taken, so I just plopped my hand and fingers down on the keyboard out of frustration, and then Phorlaug was born. :)  pron: "Four Log" 

a.k.a.:  IV, Phor, 4, 4th (Phorth JS).

good stuff here, strettch is a nickname given to me by my older brothers when I was in highschool because I grew 8 inches over a summer vacation and used to tell people I was the same kid just stretched out.

my other toons: wolfaris is from my American indian heritage and means "of the wolf " loosly translated. Jack Tripley was a character in a play I was in during highschool ( I totally sucked). Naitram is simply martian spelled backwards.

these were also my names in live on peggy server. but strettch was most well known as a complete builder that rarely left the station, as wolfaris (JD) would gather anything he needed to print. wolfaris was my hunter and raid toon.

The names I use usually reflect myself in some form or fashion.  My nickname for the forums is a take on my real name.  Dana.

Some I've used are:  Manfromdenmark, Danemarkian, Danish, The Dane.

Names in game, I usually try and give a name that's suitable and original to the character I'm trying to create.  In the case of the names I have on the emu, I have Carta who is based on a hockey player I created in NHL 11, Revin is a take on Evin from the old EA live days, and Daen is taken from my name. 

From the Kyp Durron of Star Wars EU lore, the most powerful student Luke encountered when he restarted the academy.

Aha, I'd been wondering if that was it since I first saw the name.  (as I remember, it didn't turn out too well... didn't he steal a 'suncrusher' or something and run amok blowing things up?)

Back OT:

Again, a surname-based origin for me - my nickname in the RAF was 'Magic' Johnson (both because we share the surname and also a certain resemblance - I.e. he was a nineteen foot black athlete and I was a stubby white chap)

When I went online (MUDs initially) I tricked it up a bit to 'Majik' - that used to get me through most 'name already taken' checks back in the day, including original EnB when I joined beta.  (interestingly, as the t'internet has grown, it's increasingly already taken - shows how times have changed).

So for original EnB, when I started to roll alts, I just continued the magical theme - this was my sig from the original EnB forums:

sig2.jpg

So now that with all the accounts available to the emu, it's gone a bit silly, there's:

Majik (PS, my 'main' from original and so the first I ever levelled to 150 on the emu, but gets worryingly small play time currently)

Prestidigitator (TT)

Illusionist (JE)

Conjuror (PW)

Thaumaturgist (JW, not really started yet)

Magician (PP, newish)

Legerdemain (tbc)

Supported by some vault characters: Wand, Potion, Cauldron, Pointyhat, Spellbook, Grimoire, Talisman, Sigil...

My main was Prestidigitator in Eve (very useful as I meant I was never normally called as primary target in fleet battles (yes I was CLS/ASCN) cos the enemy fleet commander would chew on his own tongue pronouncing it)

Prestidigitator was also my main in CoH (Virtue) - which got a bit sticky as after a few years the devs introduced a 'lore' NPC character with that name too.

I have to say I'm kinda happy with the theme - it nicely ties my characters together for people I interact with, without being namePS nameTT etc.  Also, I like that it's the most powerful force in the universe explanation-wise ("how the hell did x happen?" "oh it was just magic or something").  And the only thing (apart from the green stuff) that mister-ultimate-godmoder Superman was vulnerable to too! :D

Edited by prestidigitator