Post 150 Raid Suggestions

Ulyydian

So you've reached 150!  Congrats on the major milestone.

Now whats next?  That's where you come in!

Give us your ideas for raids.

Keep it realistic please.

I also ask that you keep it short and sweet, a general overview with some guidelines / rewards.

We'll certainly contact you for more details if it's something we look at making.

I also have ideas for "individual arcs" that you will be able to do solo.

Please feel free to add anything for those as well.

Make some new raids that can actually be done within reason by the smaller guilds scale down the rewards if you think its necessary (I don't personally I think a fair game everyone should be able to get equipment around the same level)

On a side note I think the current raids need fixing it isn't right that a tiny % of the player base only has access to most of the raid gear in game as it stands (And nope most of it isn't tradable not to mention no one will trade the raid gear that can be traded in the majority of cases the raid system is broken beyond belief as it stands )

Just my 2 cents

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I like the idea of mini-raids as well as full raids.    Some items that are good but not awesome as rewards in them, new items that is, would be nice just in terms of equipment diversity.

Mining raids.  Would be a mixture of mining & combat.  You will need a mix of explorers, traders & warriors, but you may need to be explorer heavy.  What would happen is the following.  The players go to an instanced sector (like the fishbowl), it would be stocked with L8-L9 prospectables.  All types of prospectables except hulks would be in the first few rounds.  Clearing out the first round of resources would bring the first wave of mobs.  The Warriors would have the job of defending the explorers.   They need to clear out the mobs in a limited time, or the raid fails, while the warriors are fighting the 2nd round of prospectables spawns.   You'd likely need all 3 traders.  PT's would fight & heal, JTs would heal, buff reactors, clear debuffs (if my dispel idea is implemented), do some debuffing, and would act as ammo/ore carts as needed.   TTs would do what TTs normally do.  Explorers would divide their time between mining & combat support, so make sure you have enough explorers to cover both.   The explorers doing the mining also have to get their mining done quickly enough.  There could be a pause mid raid, where the traders can give the warriors their extra ammo, and receive ores from the explorers to free up space.

The last wave of bosses would drop nice rewards for all classes, while L9 hulks also spawn.  The hulks would have to be cleared, and the bosses in a given amount of time.  Items of value would be in both, but there would be enough things to go around.  The rewards found in the last bosses, would tend to be tradeable, though looting rights can be lottoed.  The items in the hulks would be tradable.   In both cases there would be items for all. 

The loot tables for the hulks could include all types of equipment, components, as well as the usual junk.   The Junk would tend to be L8+ and sellable for good credits, trade XP.  An uber in a hulk would be very rare, but usually 1-3 would drop on the last boss.

• Upvote 2

I like the idea of mini-raids as well as full raids.    Some items that are good but not awesome as rewards in them, new items that is, would be nice just in terms of equipment diversity.

Mining raids.  Would be a mixture of mining & combat.  You will need a mix of explorers, traders & warriors, but you may need to be explorer heavy.  What would happen is the following.  The players go to an instanced sector (like the fishbowl), it would be stocked with L8-L9 prospectables.  All types of prospectables except hulks would be in the first few rounds.  Clearing out the first round of resources would bring the first wave of mobs.  The Warriors would have the job of defending the explorers.   They need to clear out the mobs in a limited time, or the raid fails, while the warriors are fighting the 2nd round of prospectables spawns.   You'd likely need all 3 traders.  PT's would fight & heal, JTs would heal, buff reactors, clear debuffs (if my dispel idea is implemented), do some debuffing, and would act as ammo/ore carts as needed.   TTs would do what TTs normally do.  Explorers would divide their time between mining & combat support, so make sure you have enough explorers to cover both.   The explorers doing the mining also have to get their mining done quickly enough.  There could be a pause mid raid, where the traders can give the warriors their extra ammo, and receive ores from the explorers to free up space.

The last wave of bosses would drop nice rewards for all classes, while L9 hulks also spawn.  The hulks would have to be cleared, and the bosses in a given amount of time.  Items of value would be in both, but there would be enough things to go around.  The rewards found in the last bosses, would tend to be tradeable, though looting rights can be lottoed.  The items in the hulks would be tradable.   In both cases there would be items for all. 

The loot tables for the hulks could include all types of equipment, components, as well as the usual junk.   The Junk would tend to be L8+ and sellable for good credits, trade XP.  An uber in a hulk would be very rare, but usually 1-3 would drop on the last boss.

I like this suggestion. I'd like to add to it.
First off, I think the prospectables should start at a lower level and go up one level with each wave. For a raid with 4 waves for instance, it could be set up like this:
Wave 1: L6-7 Non-hulks
Wave 2: L7-8 Non-hulks
Wave 3: L8-9 Non-hulks
Wave 4: L9 Hulks
This would increase the number of ore types to prospect, increasing demand for traders to haul it back to port.
The asteroids should also be a bit richer in ore than normal fields, perhaps by a factor of 2 or 3, to make the ammount of ore gained somewhat useful.

I also think mobs should spawn in packs, not whole waves, triggered by prospecting, to add another element to the prospecting, timing. If the explorers go all out on prospecting, the warriors would be swamped by mobs. On the other hand, if they're to careful, the timer will run out and the raid will be over.

The timer should start when the first mob of each wave spawns. When the last mob of each wave is down, if the timer hasn't run out, the next wave of roids should spawn, and the timer should stop, to get a rest period for rebuffing, looting and trading to free up inventory for prospecting.
It could even be one timer, so you get more time on the last wave if you finish the first waves faster.

Controlling spawns by prospecting and making one continuous timer for all waves would also allow for smaller guilds/groups to do the raid. Basically, you get more waves the faster you are but as long as you can prospect the ore and kill the mobs, you can get something out of it, no matter how few or poorly geared you are.

Hmm good ideas here.  

I agree the raid loot is imbalanced as it stands with only a few controlling it.

However I can say that with the new specialization items coming out people are going to have a much better chance of getting those raid items while having good items themselves.  The only people who will cry about that are the "elite" who want to keep a lock on the raids.  I can assure you the locks will be broken.

Anytime you have a small minority controlling the end game content it causes all sorts of problems and makes the ones who would like to do it eventually quit because they can never do it.  This greatly impacts the game and eventually the elite get bored and leave and there is no one to replace them.  It's a death spiral.  This is one situation that needs a good swift kick otherwise problems only get worse.  I've seen it time and time again.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Uly you were around during original live. You know that raid content was "controlled" by the big guilds then too. I was in a small guild, we approached the larger guilds on Andro, and developed a repore (sp?) with them and not long after got invited along on raids with them.

Nobody at VGE is trying to lockout anyone from raid content! This can not be said enough! We have helped smaller guilds learn and do raids, we have had other guild members along on our raids, We have held open raids at FB on several occasions, etc. and I'm sure the same could be said for Static and BI.

We are a group of folks that enjoy raiding along with the other parts of the game, and we raid a lot because we have the numbers. It has absolutely nothing to do with being elite.

Sorry if I derailed things. Now back to the original topic.

• Upvote 3

Anytime you have a small minority controlling the end game content it causes all sorts of problems and makes the ones who would like to do it eventually quit because they can never do it.  This greatly impacts the game and eventually the elite get bored and leave and there is no one to replace them.  It's a death spiral.  This is one situation that needs a good swift kick otherwise problems only get worse.  I've seen it time and time again.

^ Finally someone gets it the point I have been trying to make for so long perhaps not tactfully enough...

I think making things more level as you have suggested is a extremely good move and if it happens will impact positively on the game .

Klyde whilst I disagree with your opinion its yours to make and if that is truly the case nobody will have any issues with any of these changes. Everyone's happy this way.

Edited by wireclub
  • Downvote 1

Hmm good ideas here.  

I agree the raid loot is imbalanced as it stands with only a few controlling it.

(1) You say a 'few' are controling loot but have you taken into account how many members are in each of the so called 'big 3 ' guilds , it took me 6 months to get a 'Spitter' and i am in one of the 'big 3'.

However I can say that with the new specialization items coming out people are going to have a much better chance of getting those raid items while having good items themselves.  The only people who will cry about that are the "elite" who want to keep a lock on the raids.  I can assure you the locks will be broken.

(2) If 'elite' means i took the time to to join a guild that went raiding then so be it , no-one is stopping the whiners from getting together and doing a raid are they ? And 'locks' WHAT 'locks' even though the 'big 3' have come to an agreement about who raids what/when those raids are open to anyone if they can get a group together. And while i am ranting , a Cooper gate raid can be done by one group (Wireclub/Englishvirtue you cant get one group together to do this even ? ). FB raid = 2 groups , controller = 2 groups , BBG = 2 groups and some spare healers/js'rs help :) )  , RD base = 2-3 groups . So i am sure if you tried you could get enough players together to do these .

(3) They quit because they aint got the time to stop whining and and get off thier ass and form a group to go do a raid , people like this were happy when 'raids' could be taken down by an exploiting JD or a multi boxer.

(4) So what i am saying is don't go changing the raids to make them easier for the multi-boxers and solo JD's to camp them as they did in ST4 , concentrate on new content etc that will keep players happy .

<<<<<<<<<< Gets ready for the flack lol ;)

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

(4) So what i am saying is don't go changing the raids to make them easier for the multi-boxers and solo JD's to camp them as they did in ST4 , concentrate on new content etc that will keep players happy .

New content is a good thing.  I won't be one of the ones firing on you.  I think Ulyydian has a great idea with the role specialization discussed on the forums.  I know I'm looking forward to the MCP and other miner-orientated things, that have great rewards, but I'm game for a FB or two, I do have a L150 JE who can JS people.  

Hmm good ideas here.  

oh, finaly a dev see's it from the little persons eyes ....

The raids need fixing like it or not . Finally got a dev suggesting really good ideas how to do it. Fact is the only people that are going to have a issue with this are the one's who want to keep the control to them selves . Funny thing is I think they have spent that long saying it's fair and reasonable the current system they actually believe the lie them selves. I welcome this change it will hurt a tiny amount of elites the rest will realise it was for good of the game in time. And will help the casual player base which represents a much larger portion of the player base and who knows players may start coming back player base may start growing. It certainly isn't going to happen when its unfair controlled by the minority to a point it's just boring and you may as well leave. In summary these changes are a step in the right direction and honestly I believe its needed if this game is to have a future.

Edited by wireclub
  • Downvote 1

The problem's root is not how many players it takes to do x raid... nor is it really who has access to what equipment... The problem is Organization... Which in and of itself isn't a problem except that smaller guilds and single solo players are not able to organize two good sized groups to do a raid.. There are many obstacles they they have to overcome that large guilds do not..

1. People online at any given time willing, able and dedicated enough to do the raid in question.
  2. Communications (MOTD is a small example) through guild forums, guild channel and officers that are assigned to disseminate information help with coordinated efforts.
  3. Shared resources, raiding parties from larger guilds will always be better equipped than most solo/small guild players.  Because the raid gear flows in the large guild much easier than the general population. Something that would take a solo/small guild players months to assemble for equipment can be obtained within a large guild much more quickly.
  4. Leadership and Knowledge.  Find me 12 players not in major guilds that know FB outside raid well enough to actually feel confident at an attempt... Even find me 6 well setup dual boxed solo/small guild players that are willing... Large guilds have people in leadership positions that can lead these groups to success... It just won't happen on the solo/small guild level..
  5. Raids are built as Guild content.. To dumb them down to the point that a single 6 box player can take the raid out will be counter productive and defeat the purpose of the rewards of those raids.. These items are set to be "Uber" because of the effort, coordination and time required to organize and execute the raid successfully.  Not because there needed to be a more uber drop... Large guilds will ALWAYS win that fight...

So the counter argument that "Anyone can do the raids, they are open to all" is moot ... Small guilds and solo players have no chance against the combined efforts of a large guild..

Second most common counter argument, "My XXX Large Guild lets solo players and small guild members tag along" is also moot.. why? because I've been playing since what.. April of this year and I have 5 (Yes 5) well setup OL150+ toons... Raids INVITED to:  0 .. ZERO... ABSOLUTELY ZERO.. in 5 months... Why? Because none of the major guilds know my toons, I stay quiet and just do my thing... So If I am going to spend the effort to schmooze my way into a raid with XXX guild.. why not just JOIN it and have a blanket invite?  Thus the large guild gets larger and the people who choose not to deal with large guilds are in the cold...

So it boils down to this.. Solo players and small guilds have to accept that they will not get any of the non-trade loot out of large raids without help of the Big 3... The Big 3 own those raids, not because Solo/small guild players CANNOT as a function DO them.. but because the numbered items above prevent it... Big Guild XXX isn't STOPPING them.. Just that it can't be done..

What we need is more "Smaller" or "Mini" raids that can be done with a moderate number of people.. The big raids GOBB, FB, Cooper Gate, RD Base, Controller... Are for the Big Guilds... Missions and mini-raids can and should be done by the smaller guilds... the only reason they are NOT doing them is because they don't KNOW about them... or don't KNOW how to do them...

So please stop saying "My Guild lets people join" and think that mitigates the problem.. It doesn't.. When I see "GENERAL: Guildleaderx: Hey My guild is doing XXX raid, need OL 150+ TT, JE, JD, and a PW for a group, PST" happening EVERY RAID.. then the Big 3 are NOT open to other players joining their raids..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd like some solo missions - grouping not allowed - that is aligned to race/profession with race/profession rewards.  I still think the new toon-types are under served with equipment.

I loved the halloween style raid - grab a figurine, queue up and get some interesting loot.  More please.

Make the Bunyip relevant.

There are still several items not dropping (as far as I can see) so add more MOBs, and perhaps clues to where loot tables and mobs are added.

More missions along the lines of Tsu/Jinx, and Humboldt.

More depth for the explorer class.  More to find.  Hulks are great but some kind of random spawns.

More builder rewards - some missions with prints along the lines of Oni, Terran Advantage, SSR, oh and yes, SS8 and other bogeril wonderfulness.

Open the other sectors.

Invent new sectors.

Invent new MOBS - absurdly difficult.

Complete some of the missing build lines - what are shards for?

VRIX!

Huge credit or time sinks like the capital ship project, expensive vendor equipment.

• Upvote 1

So the counter argument that "Anyone can do the raids, they are open to all" is moot ... Small guilds and solo players have no chance against the combined efforts of a large guild.

Second most common counter argument, "My XXX Large Guild lets solo players and small guild members tag along" is also moot.. why? because I've been playing since what.. April of this year and I have 5 (Yes 5) well setup OL150+ toons... Raids INVITED to:  0 .. ZERO... ABSOLUTELY ZERO.. in 5 months... Why? Because none of the major guilds know my toons, I stay quiet and just do my thing... So If I am going to spend the effort to schmooze my way into a raid with XXX guild.. why not just JOIN it and have a blanket invite?  Thus the large guild gets larger and the people who choose not to deal with large guilds are in the cold...

So it boils down to this.. Solo players and small guilds have to accept that they will not get any of the non-trade loot out of large raids without help of the Big 3... The Big 3 own those raids, not because Solo/small guild players CANNOT as a function DO them.. but because the numbered items above prevent it... Big Guild XXX isn't STOPPING them.. Just that it can't be done..

What we need is more "Smaller" or "Mini" raids that can be done with a moderate number of people.. The big raids GOBB, FB, Cooper Gate, RD Base, Controller... Are for the Big Guilds... Missions and mini-raids can and should be done by the smaller guilds... the only reason they are NOT doing them is because they don't KNOW about them... or don't KNOW how to do them...

So please stop saying "My Guild lets people join" and think that mitigates the problem.. It doesn't.. When I see "GENERAL: Guildleaderx: Hey My guild is doing XXX raid, need OL 150+ TT, JE, JD, and a PW for a group, PST" happening EVERY RAID.. then the Big 3 are NOT open to other players joining their raids..

You are right and you are wrong at the same time in your conclusions / assumptions.

Before you even organise a raid you usually have to acquire the items needed for that raid, for example in order to do tada-o / Fishbowl you need to gather defresser phlegm, glamor goo, mantichora spines, feathers, barrier of ooze shields, quartz crystals, grail water etc

It will take a big guild maybe a day with a few people on the hunt for those items to be looted/mined so they can do the raid.

It will take a small guild or solo player maybe a week to gather all those unless you have no work and you spend hours upon hours playing E&B.

So lets say for the sake of argument that within a week the big guild will be able to do 7 or more raids against just one for the small one.

There are 3 larger guilds since we all seem to agree on that but there are also guilds that are neither small nor big and have the resources to pull off some raids themselves.

So when the small guild / solo player goes to hunt them someone else is there already, OMG  "The Big Guilds Control The Content".

When the small guild / solo player finally completes the FM2K device and manage to gather enough people to go for a raid there is already someone else doing it, OMG "The Big Guilds Control The Content".

Enough said.

As to not hearing an invite in General for a raid from major guilds, you already said that they have more people than they can handle so its only natural to try and keep their members happy first before considering general population.

But the small guild/ solo player can put the effort to gather the resources needed and then ask for help in General. I've seen it done and probably you have seen it too. Furthermore people from the major guilds that offer to help do so without even the expectation of loot.

And we do offer advise and help when asked.

Granted there are not enough mini raids so a smaller group of friends can do them but there are some eg Mordana and there should be more.

Now if you want to reap rewards without putting any effort thats an entirely different discussion.

On topic

How about mini raids that are specifically restricted / designed only for one race.

A mini raid for Terrans with progen only tradeable loot.

A mini raid for Progens with Jenquai only tradeable loot

A mini raid for Jenquai with Terran only tradeable loot.

Encourages players to learn to play other races/classes or really excel at their favorite. It may also generate a market for trading above loot.

• Upvote 1

So lets say for the sake of argument that within a week the big guild will be able to do 7 or more raids against just one for the small one.

There are 3 larger guilds since we all seem to agree on that but there are also guilds that are neither small nor big and have the resources to pull off some raids themselves.

So when the small guild / solo player goes to hunt them someone else is there already, OMG  "The Big Guilds Control The Content".

When the small guild / solo player finally completes the FM2K device and manage to gather enough people to go for a raid there is already someone else doing it, OMG "The Big Guilds Control The Content".

Enough said.

Granted there are not enough mini raids so a smaller group of friends can do them but there are some eg Mordana and there should be more.

Now if you want to reap rewards without putting any effort thats an entirely different discussion.

On topic

How about mini raids that are specifically restricted / designed only for one race.

A mini raid for Terrans with progen only tradeable loot.

A mini raid for Progens with Jenquai only tradeable loot

A mini raid for Jenquai with Terran only tradeable loot.

Encourages players to learn to play other races/classes or really excel at their favorite. It may also generate a market for trading above loot.

Well first of all, my argument isn't that "The Big guild control the content" as you say... It is simply to say that there is a reason people think this, and you reinforced my point.. Organization of resources and people are the major challenge for solo/small guild and "Raid" content.. Several people have taken this to mean that the "Big Guilds Control the Content" when in fact it is simply a perception... When you have 800 people in a big guild the chances of finding them at a spot you are going to hunt are very high...

And I agree that there should be work involved and that it should not be super easy for solo/small guilds, the challenge is part of the reason for the content... I just think, as you seem to, that there needs to be more content focused at the small guild/solo play aspects that have rewards that are worth the effort for those groups of people to organize and do it. 

Mordana raids are very nice.. They are not too hard, good rewards, challenging and there are four of them with different rewards.  A careful and patient player can solo them, a multi-boxer most certainly could do them alone.  I'd like to see more like this, but more importantly we need to have the "How TO' part out there, so people can find them, prepare for them and DO them.  If the content is unknown to the player base, how can we expect them to FIND it?

Mordana raids are very nice.. They are not too hard, good rewards, challenging and there are four of them with different rewards.  A careful and patient player can solo them, a multi-boxer most certainly could do them alone.  I'd like to see more like this, but more importantly we need to have the "How TO' part out there, so people can find them, prepare for them and DO them.  If the content is unknown to the player base, how can we expect them to FIND it?

More often than not when a question is asked in chat channels be it for a mission, a loot drop or some kind of assistance it is answered. There aren't many with the intention to withhold info for their own designs.

As i already said, in several different threads,  this is a multi player game, so communicate with others and the truth shall be revealed. :D

But if all you do is gripe and distance yourself from the rest of the player base, thats on you and you alone.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh, I know.. if someone asks and >I< know I always help them out.. I am certain that the big guilds aren't holding out on everyone, some of the best advice and help I've gotten has come from people in guilds.. All I am saying is people that are not in a big guild, not familiar with high end content and not sure what is left after 150 don't even know the mordana raids are there, nor do they ask about them... It is rare that I see players out there in KV going after them.. They just think they are odd spawns of mordana  not an escalation to a boss-like mob.  They are hard to kill and hit very hard, so many players just don't mess with them.

I just had an idea.
How about another base raid, this time mission activated.
It could be played two ways, each with it's own mission.
One mission would be an intelligence mission where you would gather intelligence and possibly sabotage a station to perpare for a hostile takeover. The final step of the mission would trigger the attack and you'd have to help take out the stations defences for the hostile take-over (and raid) to be successful.
The other mission would be a counter-intelligence mission for the station, leading up to the discovery of an imminent attack on the station. The final step of the mission would trigger the raid, which would be an attack on the station where you'd have to defend the station from the attackers. 
With a bit of coding it might be possible to set this up dynamically, to trigger more and harder mobs with better loot if the mobs are finished faster, making it suitable for anywhere from one to three full groups.
If you wanted a bit of competition, you could even combine the two and have players fight for both sides. A special boss mob could spawn at the end of the raid for the side that kills the most mobs.

• Upvote 1

Excellent points by all, especially Liucee.

He summed up my points I was trying to make earlier.

The plain fact is the big guilds are very snobbish by nature.

I've watched the chat, I've talked to them myself.

Anyone not meeting XXX criteria they don't want, period.

We need more stuff for the little guys or be able to get them into the bigger stuff.

You can't design a game for only the top 5% because a game will fail that way.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In other games there are varying difficulties of raids based on skill level with appropriate drops based on the challenge. The mechanics of the lessor raids are similar but more forgiving for less geared players or smaller groups. In essence you learn to do the difficult raids in baby steps. Would it be possible for us to use something similar in current raids or separate triggers that are easier to make for easier difficulty? 

In response to the ignorant comment by Ulyydain "Anyone not meeting XXX criteria they don't want, period." is false. I know because I joined one of the big three by simply asking in new player channel if anyone was recruiting for a guild. This is hardly the acts of an elitist bunch that accepts only xxx.  He also claims, "The plain fact is the big guilds are very snobbish by nature. I've watched the chat, I've talked to them myself." He is making a generalization. There are probably individuals in the big three that are snobbish, but it is not fair to judge a large group of people  based on the perception of a few.

We do need more content for all sizes thats a given, but we need to keep in mind that the best gear should go to the individuals and guilds that put in the time and effort. That could be anyone or any guild, but lets avoid the "easy button" for those who do not wish to put in that time and effort.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

In other games there are varying difficulties of raids based on skill level with appropriate drops based on the challenge. The mechanics of the lessor raids are similar but more forgiving for less geared players or smaller groups. In essence you learn to do the difficult raids in baby steps. Would it be possible for us to use something similar in current raids or separate triggers that are easier to make for easier difficulty? 

In response to the ignorant comment by Ulyydain "Anyone not meeting XXX criteria they don't want, period." is false. I know because I joined one of the big three by simply asking in new player channel if anyone was recruiting for a guild. This is hardly the acts of an elitist bunch that accepts only xxx.  He also claims, "The plain fact is the big guilds are very snobbish by nature. I've watched the chat, I've talked to them myself." He is making a generalization. There are probably individuals in the big three that are snobbish, but it is not fair to judge a large group of people  based on the perception of a few.

We do need more content for all sizes thats a given, but we need to keep in mind that the best gear should go to the individuals and guilds that put in the time and effort. That could be anyone or any guild, but lets avoid the "easy button" for those who do not wish to put in that time and effort.

A dev is asking for ideas, wants to be more inclusive of players not in guilds, makes a couple comments to that effect and you smack him down for it... You expect this dev to produce for you?  Did you create this account simply to post this rather... odd bit of logic?

• Downvote 1