New item suggestion

We are takeing suggestions on the creation of a new item.

It will be 100% quality when purchased (expect it to be very expensive)  and deteriorate with time and or useage, locked onto the avatar that buys it.

The item or item's(as long as they are feasable) will be selected by the dev team after a 30 day idea entry period.

please keep idea's  to the point  and no long explanations.

This is your chance to be part of the creation process so lets hear your idea's.

this will be open for suggestions for 30 days.

A Double XP Device, Level 1, used by All, say for about 48 Hours in duration, even a log out, meaning the timer would stop at log out, then start up once again while online again, it would encompass all fields while equipped, Combat, Exploration, and Trade bars 

• Upvote 4

WH devices... Single Use, would allow any player to WH to various sectors that are not on the normal JE WH skill.  i.e. Nostrand Vor Planet.  The use of this WH would have the same effect on trade goods as the JE skill, so it would not be useful for trade runs.. 1M credits a pop seems fair, L5 Devices to keep them in the mid-range of player levels. Also not able to WH to sectors that are secured by Faction/race gates.. i.e. a WH device to Io would have to be Jenquai Explorer only..

Nostrand Vor planet.

Ragnarok

Earth Sector

Margesi, Proxima

Zwihander

Mercury

Others may be added, the point of the devices is to get access to content in those sectors but not be overly convenient. The current gate network and WH wefts are fine if you are a JE and really know your way around, but these would make it easier to access missions in those areas and use of the content.  Many players do not even explore these sectors because they are so remote.

Some additional thoughts... Make the devices unique.. so a player can't fill their hold/vault with them.. one WH device per and it is individual WH not a group object... (Like RTB)

Level of the device can be used to restrict the level of the player able to use it.. up to L8, for obvious race/class restrictions.  i.e. an L8 device can be made for Cooper.

Edited by Liucee

Along the lines of what you have in mind... with a twist.

"Build your own device"

Currently we can build Fishbowl activation devices from multiple other devices/components that we have to build also.

I personally would like to see a vendor sell component devices that can be stuffed into a level 1 "master device".  Pick your options, spend some coin, build your own.  The master device could be race specific, allow only certain types of component devices to be placed in it, and have 4 or 5 slots.

Ideas for component devices:  +35 deflects, turbo, energy conservation, repulsor (for terran and jen, think faction), +recharge

to shields and reactors, plasma debuffs for progens.... etc etc.

Each race could have a mission, similar to Agrippa, that would allow that race to build component device(s).  They could be

tradeable, expensive to build, and possibly a limited life time before needing replaced.  There could be different levels of each component device, 4, 7, 9, with increasing effect and difficulty to build.

Something similar to this would be a boone to PW's that have limited device slots.  JT's could finally get some "useful" skills.  It would also lend itself well to different play styles or to different "motivations".  This is a much more ambitious coding challenge than a single device I admit, but it would have that much more potential too.

I do like the ideal of a one time WH device too.

--Oozr

Edited by Oozr

I like that idea, but L7 is a little too high. Maybe varying levels and buffs progress in level.

Works for me, 3-9 with the buff & duration of existence increasing with level.

I'd like a 5 or 10 usage of a teleport directly to any station from wherever you are---example if i was in carpenter i'd hit a temp worm hole device and i would get a choice of all the stations my class is allowed on ,pick one and teleport directly to it,carp-ant would be awesome...even kal to glory's orbit station would save time for my lazy self.....proply need to make devices for each class though to compensate for the class restricted zones................

Terminal Repair Kit
A device similar to a Terminal Controller or Terminal Override.

Will repair a Device, Engine, Reactor, Shield or Weapon's
quality from 1% - 5%.  Random chance depending on build skill.

Up to 125% for non-manufacturable items.

Up to 200% for manufacturable items.

One shot use just like a Terminal Controller/Override.

• Upvote 3

Terminal Repair Kit
A device similar to a Terminal Controller or Terminal Override.

Will repair a Device, Engine, Reactor, Shield or Weapon's
quality from 1% - 5%.  Random chance depending on build skill.

Up to 125% for non-manufacturable items.

Up to 200% for manufacturable items.

One shot use just like a Terminal Controller/Override.

Awesome idea.  Would be a good solution to the problem of one-shot items.

Edit:  For skills like E-shield, etc, that don't have an AoE effect, a temporary device, say lasting say 50 uses, that give an AoE effect to the skill, while the device is equipped.  It would be something useful for buffing up for raids.

Not sure if it can be done, but when the device is equipped, it counts down each time that the skill it's for is used, when it reaches 0 the device disappears.  That may be better than having it as a time duration device.    Said devices could be for specific skills

Problem with that is people will use it just to get non manu items to 125%, I know I would if I could. Just a little exploitable. Unless the quality increase goes back down after the allotted time.

Not necessarily, it depends on the restrictions on the device & it's availability.  If the device is a vendor device that only costs a few million to buy, I'd agree, easily exploited.  If it's a rare drop of a non-manufacturable device then it's probably not going to be used much, which may be too far in the other direction. 

Perhaps it could be a rare drop device, that's manufacturable, but has a high difficulty to analyze/build.  So say you're an experienced device builder, one of the best on the server, maybe you'd get a 30% chance of getting the print if you can get your hands on one compared for higher percentage of easier to analyze devices.  Make it one shot only, give it a high cost to manufacture, probably 2-3 times average for level, and require at least one difficult to come by part.    Require 1 part that's both non-manufacturable & loot only, 2 vendor parts, and 3 ABC parts.  (ABC parts are parts that can be made by a PT, TT, or JT, but not vendor available)

How much quality you get, is affected by the quality of the device.  If it's more widely available, then it could always be limited to one off devices.

Problem with that is people will use it just to get non manu items to 125%, I know I would if I could. Just a little exploitable. Unless the quality increase goes back down after the allotted time.

What's wrong with that?  That's the point.  So a 100% item can be improved to 125%.  As Blacklung said though "expect it to be very expensive".

Just want to note a number of examples here are actually consumables, not an actual reusable device.

Stuff like XP boosts, wormholes, and the quality things would not be feasible in a reusable device because it would both be exploited and unbalanced. Also a 25% quality boost to non-manf items would unbalance things quite a bit along with any skills on that device because they would also be increased. Especially for things like weapons that increases the damage they do.

If we were to try and replace consumable credit sinks with a reusable item then it would have to be amazingly expensive because people will not buy it as often as one time use items.  That would also put it out of range for most except the hardcore and the big 3.  The more expensive the item the fewer that get it.  That would be catering to ONLY the upper 1% and ignoring the needs of the 99%.  

Also things like making trade runs real quick would also further increase the xp gap between combat, explore, and trade.

Currently most everyone does trade runs for exp, this would increase that even more and make the other two forms moot.

I had an idea for a twist on an XP boost item. How about an item that when activated on a mob has a chance of replacing one item dropped with an item that yealds less credits but more XP than the replaced item? Chance would increase with item level and quality.

It may be hard to code, but I think it would be cool.

• Upvote 1

Really need something with Plasma Debuff for Progens , maybe Activate Weapon Turbo that Stacks ?  Inc Weapon Range , Everyone Needs all 3 of those.

Maybe a Return to Home Station Device  Can have 3 or more with different Stations ?

Some thought needs to go into Progen items created in the future... Due to a lack of device slots on PW, they need to get activated buffs from other items, so when you design new items intended for PW use, consider the needs of the activated patchs.  PWs have to haul a number of devices and swap them out periodically.  They have limited cargo slots, limited device slots and needs of several buffs due to the fact that they pull agro from half way across a sector.  Please keep this in mind for their sake. 

• Upvote 2

Also don't forget in designing devices for warriors, that they should still need the support of traders & explorers.

Oh, I agree 100%.  But there are many that are on devices that they swap... this could be reduced, freeing up cargo capacity for ammo/loot and reduction in the PITA aspect of Progen Warriors.  PS/PP don't have anywhere near the problem as PW does..

What's wrong with that?  That's the point.  So a 100% item can be improved to 125%.  As Blacklung said though "expect it to be very expensive".

Haves and have nots... Those who have the credits and the uber gear will be able to make it more uber. I just don't see it happening.

Ulyydian said...Just want to note a number of examples here are actually consumables, not an actual reusable device.

Blacklung never said it had to be a reusable device.  He said "We are takeing suggestions on the creation of a new item.

It will be 100% quality when purchased (expect it to be very expensive)  and deteriorate with time and or useage, locked onto the avatar that buys it.

Ä non-trade terminal controller fits that bill.  (Just trying to make the coding easy for you guys ;))

Ulyydian said...Also a 25% quality boost to non-manf items would unbalance things quite a bit along with any skills on that device because they would also be increased. Especially for things like weapons that increases the damage they do.

I could not disagree more.  It goes without saying you cannot increase an item's quality beyond its intended max.  So yes to 125% for a Barrier of Ooze because other people have them.  No for a Nitrous Oxide.  There is no unbalance here.  I tried to keep my idea simple because Blacklung also said "please keep idea's  to the point  and no long explanations."

Ulyydian said...If we were to try and replace consumable credit sinks with a reusable item then it would have to be amazingly expensive because people will not buy it as often as one time use items.  That would also put it out of range for most except the hardcore and the big 3.  The more expensive the item the fewer that get it.  That would be catering to ONLY the upper 1% and ignoring the needs of the 99%.  

Again I disagree.  Blacklung said "It will be 100% quality when purchased (expect it to be very expensive)" puchased means (to me) that it is accessible to *all*. 

Oh, I agree 100%.  But there are many that are on devices that they swap... this could be reduced, freeing up cargo capacity for ammo/loot and reduction in the PITA aspect of Progen Warriors.  PS/PP don't have anywhere near the problem as PW does..

Something that could help the PW, on this front is their own PL version of the Defender's Pride.  A weapon designed for them, with buffs that would be PW friendly (skill set, race trait wise). That would be a good permanent item, and of similar availability to the DP.  Could be "average to good" DPS wise for a L9 PL.  The TW could get similar love in ML form to be fair to all warriors.

• Upvote 1