Delete unneeded recipies from Characters

I would like to open this thread concerning recipes we get or have been able to learn without being able to build it.

In a discussion I had today in General I leaned that certain TE's got the Shooting Star prints.

As we all know this line or reactors are not buildable by TE's.

Same for the Roller Press component.

If removed from the mission as a recipie for all toons without the Component Build it would be no loss to the character.

Removing them would help clear out some clutter.

The floor is yours to add more like this

Lost, 

A very good point on the Shooting Start Reactor Missions. I have added a check at the start of this mission to verify that the mission taker has the build reactor skill. That particular issue will not repeat in the future. The change will be live with the patch next Tuesday. 

The roller press I will look into but we are considering doing something special with that. 

As for removing the prints - that is not so straight forward. I can bring it up at the next Dev meeting. 

El

Yep, but that was an accident by mixing up the blue and the red cable...  :lol:

Since the person lost both hands when that happend - there is no chance it can happen again  :P

I ilke this idea since there are still a lot of missions giving out recipe-rewards without checking race/class - therefore many toons have "dead" recipes.

+1

It would also be nice if we could remove unwanted prints from back in the early days of being a builder... I mean.. TT's go wild and print everything!  Then later, sifting though the long lists this creates can be very time consuming to find the thing you WANT to build. 

Yep, but that was an accident by mixing up the blue and the red cable...  :lol:

Since the person lost both hands when that happend - there is no chance it can happen again  :P

I ilke this idea since there are still a lot of missions giving out recipe-rewards without checking race/class - therefore many toons have "dead" recipes.

+1

It's a fine idea, but I would suggest first modifying those missions to add the race/class/skill check before removing the dead recipes lest this issue continue to fester.

• Upvote 1

It would also be nice if we could remove unwanted prints from back in the early days of being a builder... I mean.. TT's go wild and print everything!  Then later, sifting though the long lists this creates can be very time consuming to find the thing you WANT to build. 

Does total number of recipes known no longer add a bonus to build quality?

It's all part of the game. Don't want the clutter? Don't be a builder.       Build list clutter - WORKING AS DESIGNED.  No change required.

• Upvote 1

It's all part of the game. Don't want the clutter? Don't be a builder.       Build list clutter - WORKING AS DESIGNED.  No change required.

I simultaneously agree and disagree with this, and each revolves around the phrase "working as designed" or its variant "working as intended".  I'll focus here on why I disagree.

Adherence to the phrase "working as designed" is predicated on the belief that the functionality in question was designed well in the first place.  Even the best designers and developers are, at times, prone to making dumb design and development decisions.  The agency I work for is currently undergoing the installation and implementation process to replace the primary computer system of not just our office but for the entire county of which we are a primary stakeholder.  This project is massive, as it is replacing a system that has existed, been used, and been heavily customized for the last 30+ years.  The vendor that we have gone with has a deep experience in this field and has been doing this for quite a while.  And, still, pretty much every week during testing of the new system, regression testing of it when patches are applied, etc., I find an issue that I report to our representative at the vendor that we both find to be completely dumb and that we both wonder how it was missed or why it was designed that way.  In fairness, some of those instances were designed that way for a very good reason that neither of us had thought of, but on the majority of those instnaces, the designers and developers at the vendor are left wondering the same thing: "why did we do that?"

Just because something is working "as designed" does not mean it is working well, or that it is working as well as it could.  In the primary issue discussed above, there are/were missions that are rewarding players with recipes that the players' classes have no ability to build.  I've not stumbled across this yet, but based on DEV responses here I have to assume it happens, and I would say with all due respect to the incredible DEV team that these instances are quite likely the result of poor design and could be made better.  Elrick provided a perfect example of this above with his fix to the Shooting Star Reactor mission.

All of that having been said, I have no desire to see any work done to allow players to remove recipes received via the traditional method.  If it happens at some point, the great; I'm sure some people will take advantage of it.  But, I would much rather that time and energy be focused on correcting real issues and implementing new content.

My 2cr (even if it may only be worth 1cr).

-Curis

If the number of prints you have in your recipe book is one of the stats that determines the build quality of the things you build, where more prints favors better quality, why would a builder want to remove prints from their recipe book?

If indeed the additional clutter is mandatory for a better build I think the design itself needs a review but that me..

Having written that some L9 devices I wonder about:

* DV-BF-X4 "Diplomat"  Mk. IX (Trader only), I lack to see the point of this device as is. TT have max L8 Device Tech. Befriend is wasted on this device when used on a Jequai Seeker I guess. Replace "Befriend" with "Negotiate" would be an option though.

* DV-EN-X4 "Greasemonkey" IX (Trader only/Terran only), a TT would be able to use it IF it had L9 Device Tech. Kinda piontless

* DV-PSI-X4 "Profiler" IX (Trader only/Terran only), again a TT device without a use. Had de Terran Scout been given Repair and not Patch Hull it might have been usefull for this character type. But as it is also " Trader only" it has no piont.

* DV-WS-X4 "Roadrunner" IX (Trader only/Terran only) Loose the "Trader only" bit and a Terran Scout could use it.

* Satyr's Dread Derangement (Terran only), if only the "Terran only" bit was removed... This is mosly handy for beam users and the class weapon for terrans is not the beams.

Floor is yours once more.

(made some adjustements as I forgot the Jenquai Seeker has L9 Device Tech.)

Btw I am not trashing the hard work done by your current team.

I do believe we now have a chance to change things around even Westwood/EA overlooked back in the day.

Edited by TheLostDissiple