Petition to change ISP providers

ISP Vote  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Would players like the Devs to consider changing to another ISP?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care

Forgive me if I'm ignorant here and it's not the ISP but it seems to me like 1&1 sucks. Their fb page is littered with unhappy customers and people who call them scammers etc, and the server this past month have been rubber banding, lagging, and been borderline unplayable for a good portion of time which results in like 20 restarts which also push back raids etc. With as few players as we have on enb it doesn't feel like we should be experiencing this much lag? Forgive me if im being ignorant as I know nothing of coding and internet tech speak etc. I know the common person thinks everything is as simple as get this and it all goes away and its not always that simple so I may be out of my depth here but.....

1) Any chance of a change of ISP if thats even the problem or are you locked into a contract?

2) What would the cost difference be for our monthly donations to switch to a diff/better isp? I think most people would be cool shelling out an extra 5 bucks a month for no lag.

3) If no different ISP can be had what can be done to remedy lag in the meantime? Why is this constantly happening and how do we stop it? If we even can.

4) What can we do to fix raids so if we do have to do like 20 restarts a month for login servers being down and major rubber banding issues etc it doesnt mess up the timers for guild doing troller, gobb, rd base etc? Alot of guildies are getting frustrated. Can they not be adjusted to continue doing the timer through a restart ? Or is that a client side issue?

Any info would be appreciated. Not sure if this is the right thread channel for this if not please move it. Thanks!

supported, lag for me is very bad at the moment, and this is only appearing server side and within the forums etc.

TS as well has become almost usable for me.

Plus it is not my end, I use a cable modem connection as well as ADSL and 3G modem, all three are laggy, and its only been 1) since the new proxy and 2) since 1&1 have been having issues.

Supported! At the moment the Game is Unplayable for me. Every Second time gateing i got stuck and i already changed my Network Settings recommended in a Thread before, but still no Change.I also tried two diffrent types of connection and still terrible lag. Therefore, please Change the Provider, Last time i played (about a year ago) it was almost perfect to play with my connection.

But whatever you DEVs do with the provider, keep up the good work with E&B! I'm loving this game!

Sincerly

GPMace

PS: Remind me that i have to Donate! I play this game so much, would be a shame if u run out of Credits.

• Downvote 1

The ISP that I work for has started to block several sites hosted at 1&1.

The primary reasons for blocking are several sites are sending spam.  Some sites are have been noted for viruses.

While 1&1 can not be held liable for what their customer do with their web space.  It is still a black mark on thier name to host these sites.

It would interesting to know requirments are needed to host this game.  Depending on what is needed I may have a host in mind.

I'm not sure if many (any) other ISP will take the emu business.  Although we are not breaking any laws we may be bending a few.  So 1 & 1 may be our only choice.  

Note: The opinions expressed by Mimir do NOT reflect the ideas and opinions of the management. 

• Upvote 1

Signed... Wholeheartedly!

I've been after this idea for ages. 1&1 hosting is among the worst providers, and among the most expensive. Like was stated earlier, their Assbook page is a bitchfest (same heard from industry channels as well). Maybe look into an actual game hosting company this time around. Seems we might get a nice dedicated Xeon server for what the hosting fees are with 1&1. From my experience, If the server a dedicated, they don't really much care what you do with it. In any case, I'd be happy to help you guys look around for a good host, Or at the very least, 'sniff test' the finalists. Its part of what I do for a living. Send me a PM if interested.

Thanks for reading!

-Overt.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

/signed.  if we want a higher player population, the ISP problems need to be resolved.  It is currently the #1 source of frustration that the devs cannot control, unless we change the ISP.

Now with that said, I would like us to pay attention to what ([url=https://forum.enb-emulator.com/index.php?/topic/9288-petition-to-change-isp-providers/#entry80514] Mimir said above - post #6[/url])

• Upvote 1

I would change ISPs after everything I have read.  BUT be aware there may be financial penalties for moving, more work for the devs, disruption, the question of whether other hosts will accept the EMU, and the grass-is-greener possibility that another host will be no better.  That said, I think 1&1 sucks big time.

+1 to new ISP. Anything to get back playing the game I love.

I have all but given up playing now. I now login once a week on a tues or weds after patch to see if there is any improvement. There isn't. My game lags up even though I do not leave the station. Imput into guild chat will initially show up but subsequent posts are then subject to longer and longer delays until such point that I can no longer post. This is after 4 or 5 posts max.

The ISP thing might be one factor, but until "upgrades" and mods are tested for function on slow speed connection then nothing will save this unless they unwind about 3 months of patches. My typical connection speed is 0.7meg (which would have been more than adequete to support the original game). I suspect the devs are like most geeks I know and rock with anything from 20-70+ meg lines. This may be one reason they cannot appreciate the carnage that is afflicting many who attempt to play the game now. I briefly logged in just now, 187 online.. says it all really.

Depends, will it improve the stability/lag situation, and can it be done so while allowing the emulator to continue, at a price that the project can afford?  If we can indeed improve our overall situation by moving, then we should.  The question lies in the tradeoffs in moving the servers, and will we ultimately be better off.

I don't know but I certainly can't see a new ISP doing any worse. We might even eliminate Megan hour with a new host and have better over all performance. No it won't fix crashed and a wide range of other issues but it should prevent constant DDOS attacks and possibly some or all lag.

Furthermore 94% of the voters say yes and many people I know are dropping like flies from this game because they spend more time at the login screen due to crashes and/or lagging than playung not to mention restart after restart and pushed back raids. It seems like more than the majority voted yes so how do we move forward with this as things aewnt getting any better.

Also any chance of a test server we can copy chars over to, to test future patches because it seems like many of them (like this past Tuesday) break more than they fix/change and I'd players with all types of PC's and internet speeds could test it a lot of the problems could be avoided.