Irreplacable items

Vote for One Shot Solutions  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How Should One Shot Items be Handled?

• Solution 1 (Allow printing, keep no-trade)
    • Solution 2 (NPC Repairs - for fee, mission or combo)
    • Solution 3 (Retake mission to replace)
    • Hybrid - Solution 2 when 1 wouldn't work
    • Other (Please post & Explain)
    • Keep it as is

Later in the game there will be items that you can only get one time, and if you get them destroyed or their quality is dinged you can never replace them, no matter what.  Examples of future items, assuming that they are given in the same way that they're given in the original game are the Loony's Special Gizmoblastit, Loony's Hunk O' Metal, and a choice between the Tail Tucker, Chili-Popper, and White Lightnin'.  (not absolutely certain on that 3rd device, but I think it's the 3rd choice).  These devices are usable by 2 of the 3 explorer classes, with the Scout being the odd explorer out. 

Since the mission chain that rewards these devices is not-repeatable, one cannot replace these devices should they take quality damage, which would tend to discourage them from use, outside of mining gear or light combat. 

I have my doubts that most PE or JE are going to use their Loony's Hunk O' Metal as anything other than a travel device given it's buffs of Additive Turbo Warp (equip) & Additive Turbo Warp (Activated), while I think the possible solutions I propose should still apply it's less likely to be needed for this device.

For the Chili-Popper and the Loony's Special Gizmoblastit, these are likely to be used in combat or mining for the buffs they bring, and of these devices are probably the most vulnerable to being damaged.  In EnB Origins, when I went to fishbowls with my JE I would leave these devices at home due to the permanence of damage to them and the total inability to replace them.

I didn't choose the Tail Tucker or the White Lightnin' but I'd apply them here too.

These are possible solutions to what I see as wrong with these devices:

Solution 1:  Instead of giving these rewards as irreplaceable devices, rebalance the devices so that they can be manufactured, and give the prints for them instead of the devices themselves.  Keep the no-trade restriction that's on all the devices that I mentioned, so that the PE/JE cannot sell them to people who didn't the mission.   It will also give PE/JE some incentive to raise their build device skill, and they can replace them if they break so they'll be more willing ot use them in situations where they're likely to get dinged.  Given the nature of the devices, I'd expect they'd have some ABC parts involved, and maybe require a rare ore or two in some of the components.

Solution 2:  An NPC who for the doing of a mission will repair irreplaceable devices to their original quality regardless of who awarded the device.  Either for doing a long mission, or for a hefty fee. 

Solution 3:  If the NPC who gave the mission to get the device is going to be around permanently, give players the ability to return to that NPC with the item in his hold.  Then re-do the mission, or mission chain that rewarded the device, in it's entirety.  At the end you get replacements for the device(s) rewarded, provided you have the devices in your hold.   Note that in the case where you got a choice of device at the conclusion of the mission, you can only replace the damaged device, with a new version of the same device.  If you chose, for example, a Chili-Popper, you could not switch for a Tail Tucker or White Lightnin' but you could get a new Chili-Popper.

Solution 3 would not be available if for the DigiApogee  RMU prototype devices, if they're given the way they were in the original game, because the NPC that gave the device for his mission was temporary.  (you got rewarded the one equal to your current Device Tech at the time you completed the mission.  Device was tradeable and usable by all classes.

There may have been other irreplaceable items in the original game, but those are ones I personally remember from the game.  I also picked these devices to mention, as we're not far enough along in the storyline for them to be available so it shouldn't upset anyone if this was done, before the items come into game.   Personally I like solution one the best, since it's one I'm sure can be done. 

• Upvote 1

I'd forgot about the NoS, though my JT does have one, but it would be nice if solution 2 would work, for that one, or others that are already in game.  Just don't make the repair mission non-repeatable.   Can the waking nightmare mission be repeated? 

Maybe then there would have to be a mix of some sort, if it can be done.  For those devices, or other pieces of equipment, that are already in game and cannot be replaced, solution 2 would work.  It would also apply for those characters who get irreplaceable equipment where their class wouldn't have the requisite build skill.  For those things, like the Lyle devices I just mentioned, that aren't in game yet, and they would be buildable by the classes they're intended for Solution 1 would work. 

I do think it would be nice for those items to be repaired in some way, if they cannot be replaced.

Amethyst what do you think of the potential ideas in general?  I'd not include those items that are non-manufacturable, but can be replaced by looting another one.  Only the ones that are one time only.  Solution 3 would also work, provided the NPC that rewards the equipment is not a temporary one, who will leave after a time.

To add onto #2 you could also make it a random percent 'fix', so that the player might have to repeat the mission several times to get it completely fixed.

If there's a mission I'd suggest one that causes the player to go find a broken part, and then pay the repair fee.

On solution 2, which seems to have the best popularity so far, perhaps the devs would put said NPC on F7, and simply compile a list of those items that are irreplaceable.  In order to get the quality repair mission, the irreplaceable item would need to be in the player's hold, and the NPC would be able to recognize the item from the list. (since turn in NPCs can recognize hold contents, I'd think this would be doable)  Since there will be items that cannot be replaced, but can't fall under solution 1 because either they're already in game, or some of the classes that receive the reward in question wouldn't be able to build them under their normal build skills.  I'd guess Solution 2 is the best overall for those.

For those irreplaceable items that haven't been put in the game yet & the classes that would get them as rewards would be able to build them under their normal skills, perhaps Solution 1 should apply.  Could either be a disk, or them simply automatically put in the character's recipe book.  The player would then have to level up the requisite build skill, to make the item in question.

I'm unaware of other equipment that falls into this category, but I think those solutions could apply to them as well, though Solution 1 is broader than solution 2.   Generally we're talking about non-manufacturable equipment rewards from non-repeatable missions.  If someone can get a new one simply by finding a drop location and defeating the right mobs, those items would not fall under this idea.

Personally I'd like to use some of both Solution 1 (where it can reasonably be applied), and Solution 2 where it cannot.

I'm not sure how to add a poll after the fact or if it can be done at all but if it can, can a mod please add a public poll with the following options.

What should be done for the issue of irreplaceable items?

1.  Solution #1

2. Solution #2

3. Solution #3

4. Hybrid using solution 2 where solution 1 wouldn't be feasible.

5. Some other choice.  (please post your idea)

6. leave it as is.

Edited by Terrell

Added poll.  If this were to happen, I personally would go for Solution 2 with a part needed, and the NPC far away (not F7).  This is currently an item you can't replace, so if you can fix or replace it, it needs to also be difficult.

I like solution 1 (or Hybrid #4).  First, you would have to get the parts to build it the first time, thus making it harder.  Second, you would want your build skill high to get a 'good' build (still could be limited to less than 200% if necessary, not sure what quality is on most of these).  Third, you always risk loosing a part when dismantling an item and may need to replace a part.

It seems that there is quite a credit sink built into solution 1 also.

In solution 1, allow them to be printed and manufactured same as any other manufacturable device, but I'd expect that the devs would have to adjust their stats so that said items aren't overpowered at 200% quality.   If anyone has a screenshot of a Loony's Special Gizmoblastit from the original game, please post it.