Items differentiation discussion and changes

*Wonders aloud what Loony's Hunk O'Metal, Chili Popper, & Loony's Special Gizmoblatsit will look like.  In EnB Origins Hunk O'Metal looked like scrap metal, the other two looked similar to the old look for gene maps.

I was looking at the Mahjong tile sets that are in game and how they are arranged.  It seems a bit haphazard in the way they were implemented.  Are we going to see this done in a more sensible way in the future? Complete set? All tiles having turn-in value?  Same would apply to the animal figurines, lovely artwork with little use.. Perhaps have the animals be faction turn in items as well? Perhaps for Chavez v.s. RD?

Also the white dragon tile is.. blank?

EDIT: I see what the dragon tile is now, I forgot that the white dragon was essentially a blank tile with a boarder on it as it is in most sets, I actually went and pulled out my set to look at the ones I have so I could see it.. :)

Edited by Liucee

I'm going to reply to this in parts Liucee, because you're touching on different aspects of content with this question.

First, the tile selections that are ingame as loot items were never really linked to any content as such, and were "junk" loot. We merely replaced the graphics on a per item basis to separate them from other groups of items using the same visual asset. There were no complete sets as such. We actually added new assets to complete the dragon, winds, honor and flower sets, which may be used at a later date in addition of new content, and this was done simply because I wanted to make sure the full "premium" set was available. For the moment though, we did not undertake adding ALL the tiles because of the numbers involved, so the base suited sets remain incomplete. Basically, if you were to use a deck of cards as a reference, the face cards are all in, and the aces.

Second, the porcelain figurines were also an incomplete set. That we also filled out to encompass all twelve zodiac symbols. Again, possibly linking to future story development and to give us options to move in this direction later, but for the moment, I can't answer as to when, where, why, or how, because we haven't anything on the planning board for them. Not Yet. The changes we made to both these and the "premium" tile sets were only in the interest of completion.

Also note that you may not see all the additions we made so far because the items haven't been assigned to actual loot drops. ie. the 3 new figurines previously not ingame.

Last, The white dragon tile. In some sets, it -IS- actually a blank. Others have it as a square on the tile face. We chose the nicest one we could find  :)

I can understand the effort involved and I love the new looks... It would just be nice to see all of the other tiles other than the ones currently used for turn ins to get some purpose.. "Junk Loot" is great, but useful loot is better, especially when it looks like (actually is) part of a grouping of loot that has a  purpose. 

Thanks for the clarification, at any rate.. :) keep the changes coming, these little details mean a lot for the feel of the game...

I would like to see a Chavez turn in of some sort too, but I don't think that's going to happen, since the Chavez & RD are diametrically opposed, and the devs intend it to be difficult to be on good terms with both.  Wouldn't surprise me though, if later, killing V'rix ends up raising Chavez as it raises most human factions.  (a person could dedicate one character to thrashing RD, then trading the faction raising drop to his or her other characters to raise Chavez)

I do like the work on item differentiation, thanks devs for doing so.

There's nothing stopping the possibility of such development happening, nor was I excluding it. The related content was never there, can and may still be developed.

Merely was pointing out it wasn't in the works at the moment, because of the previous holes in the table. The two we filled -might- work into something. No promises.

Kind of a chicken and the egg thing, which came first, the collectable loot set, or the storyline and the mobs that drop them?  :D

There, I've gone and done it.  My JE, Ame, sold his Tooth of Destruction which is no different to Alien Antennae.  Irreplaceable (?).

<cries>

Thanks for all you have done to date - and all you are about to do....

Second, the porcelain figurines were also an incomplete set. That we also filled out to encompass all twelve zodiac symbols. Again, possibly linking to future story development and to give us options to move in this direction later, but for the moment, I can't answer as to when, where, why, or how, because we haven't anything on the planning board for them. Not Yet. The changes we made to both these and the "premium" tile sets were only in the interest of completion.

Hm... back on live, I can't remember if this was someone else's idea or I adapted it from another thought, but I remember that the backstory behind the Jenquai Seeker was supposed to be that they were looking for Jenquai artifacts that had been looted during the Gate War. I suggested that maybe this could be something like the Gene Maps for Progen. There could be a turn in point for Jenquai Artifacts that had been found, and the player turning them in would get a little Explore XP. Except that since the Jenquai as a race are intended to be explorers, ALL Jenquai could turn in artifacts, whether they were Seekers, Explorers, or Defenders. This would be an alternate way to augment nav points and Job Explore XP.

Carrying on with this idea, "sets" of this kind could also be turned in for Explore XP. Just a suggestion, but it could be combined with a faction or mission reward, down the line.

This week's patch completes changes to the Tada-O ammo series (Spit, Zet PL, Oya, Berserk, Menace, PL-X6, Panic, Fright, Scare, Startle)

We re-classed the ammo by levels (some of the icons were assigned wrong), changed the Oya to fully use one of these sets (was using 3 different icons).

Then we did .. something completely different.

[attachment=2756:Tada-O.jpg]

What you see in the bottom row is the result of 2 months worth of brainstorming to transform the Ten-gu Bile ammo types.

You now actually have Spines and Fangs in the ammo rack, colored for damage.  B)

Enjoy!