Items differentiation discussion and changes

I don't normally post a lot here, nor discuss project development in the public forum. I do read a lot of your suggestions.

A lot has been said and ideas tossed about regarding certain items and inadvertently selling important loot, etc.

Please note that the comments I am about to make are not saying people aren't paying attention. Just that certain things need to be pointed out maybe.

The client already has a visual cue to players regarding the type of item in your cargo. (See screenshot insert).

[attachment=2623:Items Discussion.jpg]

I'm sure you all are aware, equipment such as weapons/ammo have a red border, devices and core gear are grey, trade items green, components brown, etc.

Where we are currently addressing the issue is when several items of the same type now use the same graphic.

In the above image, note the Bullywere eye in top left has a grey border (device), yet aside from that is indistinguishable from the other eyeballs.

The others, all loot items (yes, the L9 is the Eye of Zethren-Ti) aside from level are difficult to separate visually.

We had looked at some similar graphics changes planned (feather, devices) before last Christmas, and what we could do to differentiate items.

Where we are currently is best shown in the bottom 2 rows of the image. The 3 devices in third row there are respectively the Jade, Cobalt and Crimson MegaHurtz.

All these along with the L8 Reinforced Solar Sail used the same icon and model. (L8 RSS icon, 2nd row, right) and previously were easily confused with L8 "junk loot" from the same mobs (the Communications Array, now black, bottom row center). Not anymore, as now they're color typed by function.

Those of you sporting Radas, Thordis' Lament, or Ayza devices have also seen changes we've implemented.

We decided to start there. We're far from done, as this has become a snowball rolling downhill, and has sparked ideas for ammo and other changes.

(Spoiler : is that L9 Chemical Archos ammo in the screenshot? oh my bad). BlackSun devices are in the works. InZen/Evoco as well.

And yes, the Eye. Currently that one is giving us a little trouble on some of the coloring, but expect a change soon. No trademark. Like a couple weeks.

Note that our scheduling on these changes is NOT fueled by your suggestions. (OMFG I just sold this bla bla). This is a side project to other content changes.

(ie. The renegade progen graphic changes in Endriago) And yes, with that content come other priorities for missions, which takes precedence.

We do this to relax from other stuff. Really, it's a hobby. 8-12 hours a day sometimes. Enjoy the pretty colors.

Thanks for the change to make items clearer. 

From the original game, I'm reminded of how the Loony's Special Gizmoblatsit, Chili-Popper, and the Progen Gene Maps look the same if you're not paying close attention.  Same for the Loony's Hunk O' Metal, Wreckage Slag, & Debris.  Fortunately those devices are a bit off in the future as they don't come into the game until JE and PE can get missions from Lyle McDonald @ Grand Ol' Homestead in der Todesengel.

Cool ! Soontm .

Don't know if its possible but to have a Image File sort for the Vault Sort tab in additon to

Type, Name, value etc etc...

Image, Type, Name, Value. double click. It would be most excellent to have all like ores sorted together.

May be an issue or two with Silver and the Power of the Elements type of mishaps.

post-1135-0-85300700-1369459189.pngSilver (i_pu171) Also Known as Power Of The Elements.

http://enbarsenal.com/item/view_item.php?&id=2087&type=11

Phorlaug, you can already sort your vault like that, you know. Sorting by category would put the Power in greys and the ores together in brown.

And yes Terrell, changes are already planned for genemaps, as those also resemble other junk loot items like Leaky Power Cells etc.

Thank you for all your work on this project.

We do appreciate the changes in graphics however subtle at first.

The Salamander now has a radicaly different icon from what i've seen. Is that the first 3D icon? :)

I suspect the manticore got changed too cause it shows up as invisible to me. Hope you fix that with next patch

Phorlaug, you can already sort your vault like that, you know. Sorting by category would put the Power in greys and the ores together in brown.

And yes Terrell, changes are already planned for genemaps, as those also resemble other junk loot items like Leaky Power Cells etc.

I was thinking of "Image" Sort.

BUT This would then put the Silver and Power Of the Elements next to each other because they Share the same " i_pu171 " Image. Because they are in the process of changing the images this won't be an issue by accidently selling the wrong item. :)

At first I was like: "THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! I WANT MY OLD ICONS BACK!!1!1!"

But then I played for a little bit and was like, "THIS IS SO AWESOME, NEVER MIND!!!!"

Thank you for the Items Differentiation Project!

OMG..  my basilisk and chimarea looks like a lollipop..    ehwww  12 years of seeeing the same icon for thoes items is gonna be hard to break and adapt to.

ok ok ..  i get  the color theme and i 100% agree on all chages to avoid good gear beeing misstaken for crap loot.

Just try to keep your heads cool tho guys.  I open up a vendor and all ammo is in damagetype color its gonna look like the rainbow invited my little ponys to a party.

Theres a line between of good use..  and change just for change sake. Me i dont like the colors much but mostly couse they dont "feel" enb to me.

So if you add colors couldent you at least stick with the original model icon as a base ?

It may be a personal thing is all..  but i like to see the stuff from original game couse thats part of what keeps me nostalgic. From now on its gonna feel like..  ok lollipop debuff time..  And not at all like the Chimaera.

So i guess im just trying to say..   Don't change things if they don't need changing.  Other then that am all for it.

Johnsilver

John : the 3d models -are- the same as the originals. However, with the color adjustments we had to rotate the item or enlarge slightly to accent the new design.

We're not just coloring the static icon file, the in space 3d model is done as well. This is most evident with the Rada series and Ayzas, as we turned the whole model to catch the lighting.

Unfortunately that is something we still can't change in the model, and are working within the parameters we have to give the best images possible in an icon format. (not easy!)

Some things look great in the tools at fullscreen, and then total crap when sized down, and get thrown out. (3 revisions on Blacksun design).

We're not changing things for the sake of change .. the Archos ammo was done to make it visual for people who run multiple types at once in their setup.

As far as the "lollipop debuff" syndrome goes, I suggest you hum "The Candy Man" while pushing the button for that little bit of yesteryear.

"Who can take a rainbow, wrap it on a theme, color some new models, and make all the players scream .. the Arthur Dent can .."  :lol:

As far as the "lollipop debuff" syndrome goes, I suggest you hum "The Candy Man" while pushing the button for that little bit of yesteryear.

Ahh its solved now..  I pop up some old screenshots in paint..   right before i plan to buff i open the picture and and look at the Chimaer'a..

Close my eyes as i alt+tab.. and press the shortcut.  So its all good now ;)

P.S

The song works really well for vendor shopping..  maby you can add it to station mix files :)

Edited by Dakynos
fixed quote

• 1 month later...

Pssst John, open your eyes .. it's morning :)

I'm back from vacation and looking over some of the discussions here. Some good, some bad, one thought : "You can't please everyone, every time".

Item differentiation isn't "babying" the game, nor is "Working as intended" to be misused as a blowoff for someone's inattention.

I can tell you how this particular project started, and it wasn't because someone sold something they shouldn't have.

It was how to visually differentiate ammo types and devices without having to mouse over them and wait for the popup while swapping setups.

From there, yes we are developing added concepts. RD loot versus Aa items would be another good example.

Here's this week's spoiler : [attachment=2660:EyeBall.jpg]

Generic eyeball loot will become white with colored irises .. specialty loot like the Eye of ZT, the Eye of Destruction, and Bullywere's Eye will be colored.

As we discover new things we can do with the models, sure, we explore new changes also. Note my Pitbulls are glowing purple (plasma beam).

We incorporate some of these into existing models, and some things we look at applying to new content (another thread had Terrell discussing extending some build lines, and while it may not be the ones he suggested or in the manner he may want, something of that nature is already underway). To say "leave working things alone and work on content" is limiting what we open up to see what's inside, how it works, and what we can change.

If we hadn't already tried to stretch the limits there, you wouldn't have any new sectors. Or missions. Or maybe an emulator.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

This month we are focusing on some loot item changes, as well as stretching one or two other previous concepts.

The portal kind of played spoiler on us today, but here's the full screenshot with what's new and upcoming :

[attachment=2712:Tiles.jpg]

Mah-jongg tiles are now ... real mah-jongg tiles. Finally.

The two series of tiles are differenced by a cherry border on the premium set that turn in for RD faction.

Item descriptions have also been modified in consequence.

And Solar Sail engines are now really engine models. Visually referenced to the old model by the dome design.

This change grew out of the earlier Rada / Thordis modifications. More to come in the next few days, stay tuned 

LOVE the tiles. Thanks for doing these.

Some more for TLC.....

cyberdrenaline rush?

tooth of destruction?

crystalline apparatus

deadly barrier?

golden tooth

intolerance

duct tape

barrier of slime

barrier of destruction

the titans heart

barrier of ooze

vibrant power emitter

crystal force emitter

ward of muck

This month we are focusing on some loot item changes, as well as stretching one or two other previous concepts.

The portal kind of played spoiler on us today, but here's the full screenshot with what's new and upcoming :

attachicon.gifTiles.jpg

Mah-jongg tiles are now ... real mah-jongg tiles. Finally.

The two series of tiles are differenced by a cherry border on the premium set that turn in for RD faction.

Item descriptions have also been modified in consequence.

And Solar Sail engines are now really engine models. Visually referenced to the old model by the dome design.

This change grew out of the earlier Rada / Thordis modifications. More to come in the next few days, stay tuned 

BAHAHAH! Love the tiles. Looks the same as the app I have d/l on my tablet :D

Amethyst, several of those are already on a "hit list" of items to create new visuals for. A couple weren't and I've added them.

Currently we're still hammering on a couple of others that are RD related, and have 3 or 4 more on the boards to finish up.

Hope you guys like the tiles.

If you space them and look at the model floating you will see the 2 sides and the wood grain and different colors.

The 64/64 postage stamp sized 2d asset you guys see does nothing for what they really look like.

Please.

Enjoy.

OK. If you can't tell your tokens apart from the rest of your crap after this one, you need glasses.

attachicon.giftokens.jpg

This one was much overdue.

I DO need glasses. I operate on one eye and a half after serious eye surgery last year. And, yes, it is easy to sell similarly iconed objects without a lot of care. No probs if you can loot again. Serious problems if you cant repeat a mission.

I can hardley read chat, never mind check up on an item description. Props to the graphics crew.

This week's roundup : After today's restart, Progens should have shiny new tokens, all the Mahjongg tiles have been replaced, and those of you with Black Spit ammo in their cargo holds or vaults have come over to the dark side. Oh, and a one-off for Amethyst, have a look at your new duct tape.

[attachment=2723:push.jpg]

Obviously you can see that we're working on that projectile ammo group, so there's the next change to expect.

While we do that this week, I can maybe get a few more missions completed and cranked out.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

This week, we're changing some of the RD loot graphics to get them away from likenesses to specialty items.

The tired old prism icon, generic loot image for whatever needed an icon, overused and abused for many different things

[attachment=2730:PU06.jpg] has been replaced. No more confusing your junk RD loot with your CVE or AA devices.

Here's a peek at the change :

[attachment=2729:figurines3.jpg]

Expect those ammo changes I mentioned previously in the coming week. Cheers for now.

This week, we're changing some of the RD loot graphics to get them away from likenesses to specialty items.

The tired old prism icon, generic loot image for whatever needed an icon, overused and abused for many different things

attachicon.gifPU06.jpg has been replaced. No more confusing your junk RD loot with your CVE or AA devices.

Here's a peek at the change :

attachicon.giffigurines3.jpg

Expect those ammo changes I mentioned previously in the coming week. Cheers for now.

Those look nice, thanks for the work on them.