Can't really play since yesterdays patch (28/05/2013)

I've been into a very unpleasant situation since yesterdays patch.

I had some gating problems in the past where the client would hang on global map screen or downright CTD.

This has been resolved by clicking the Lock Port option in the Launcher after some GM/Dev advise.

I was able to enjoy this wonderful game (a big thanks to the Devs, past and present) until last nights patch where my situation has become worse than ever.

Now 9 out of 10 times when i try to dock/undock/gate my client hangs. I can see the sector empty and after a couple more seconds my ship appears on screen but i'm unable to click a nav, warp or do anything at all.

I have noticed that net7 proxy always hangs on "Stage 3 complete" and never gets to stage 4.

Whats even worse clicking the lock port option now makes my toon unable to login at all.

I always hang with the proxy saying "receiving initial login data".

Please help me get back into the game.

Thanks

I am having similar problems.  If I am dual-client it is even worse... All of the following is AFTER I have reinstalled everything and rebooted my machine.  I have this problem on Two different computers, one with WIN7 and the other with WIN Vista.Here are the things I've tried with no effect on the problem:

Enable "Prototype Reorder"

Enable "Packet Optimization"

Enable "Disable Mouse Lock"

Enable "Delete TH6 Files"

Disable "Local Cert"

Disable "Debug Launch"

Disable "Lock Port"

This allows me to gate most of the time without a crash, however the second client seems to have trouble with this. Client #2 (Follower in a group gate) finds itself at "Safe Spot" after gate.  i.e. Gating into Saturn from Akeron's Gate client #1 (Leader) is OK, client #2 reports on gating screen "Gating From Jove's Fury (where I logged in from) and is not at the gate in Saturn but sitting at Net-7.

Enable "Prototype Reorder"

Disable "Packet Optimization"

Disable "Local Cert"

Disable "Debug Launch"

Disable "Lock Port"

Game is sluggish with single client, CTD about normal when gating, once every 10 gates or so.... With a second client CTD 90% of the time now, one successful gate in 8 tries.

Disable "Prototype Reorder"

Enable "Packet Optimization"

Disable "Local Cert"

Disable "Debug Launch"

Disable "Lock Port"

CTD Single and Dual logged is high,  Also "Rubber Banding" is horrible, when I warp and then stop my toon BOUNCES 2K from the gate then will "Rubber-band" 2K Past the gate, then back again... two or three bounces.  WTH?  JE doing Warp+Prospect used to mean I would stop cold at a roid @ about .5K, now I stop "Bouncing" + or - 1.5-2K from the roid....

PLEASE revert to the previous Net-7 Launcher or help me find a solution, I know I am not the only one dealing with this now, even though people have been telling me it was my system or my ISP, if Efiltis is having issues as well then it is not isolated to me. 

EDIT: If I select "Lock Port" I can't even login.

Edited by Luciferish

This is no technical support issue, this is a bug report :-)

Joking aside, I have had the same issues.  The only combination that works for me is:

Enable all of the left hand side boxes ("Prototype Reorder",  "Packet Optimization",  "Disable Mouse Lock", "Delete TH6 Files")

Disable all of the right hand side boxes ("Local Cert", "Debug Launch", "Lock Port")

With that set up, I was able to login, but there are still 2 issues:

1. Group Leader gates fine most of the time. I still have an occasional hang while gating, single or group gating.  However, I believe it has about the same rate of hanging (or CTM) as before yesterday's patch.

2. During group gating, only the leader seems to gate correctly.  All other members have the following issues:

- It gates alright, but it is not in formation with the leader

- It gates to the target sector, but is far away from the leader/gate.

I believe if issue #2 is fixed, I can live with it.

The workaround I have now is to gate each toon individually (Warp in group, but gate one by one).

As I mentioned in the bug report I submitted, I don't know if issue #2 is due to boxing.  Someone, say a guild, should test this with different players.

I dont have this problem but i seen a guildmate today when we gated as group in formation me (as group leader triggered gate and his both toons almost imediately greyed out (jumped to other sector) and my 4 Toons took a lil more time..

My toons came out at the gate good his toons were set to a safespot or crash..

His settings are all 4 boxes checked

My settings are all besides prototype reorder checked. tried Proto reaorder on and off no difference on me..

maybe that helps..

I have been compelled to speak out on the forums by other players who are experiencing the same problems as myself. Before Tuesdays patch something was already badly wrong. My toons if left in open space for 30 secs would just crash to desktop. Navigating and selection of targets was ok for a minute or so before becoming impossible. "engine recovering" was perpetual. Huge lag was experienced, the viewing angles of the ship were living a life unto themselves and "warp tunnel" graphic was permanent.

I logged into today, read the patch notes and eagerly booted up, checking the proto box along the way. Unfortunately the situation is worse now, the game is totally unplayable at the moment for me and I died from a lag situation. The one time I gated it was very fast though, no red circle on the galaxy screen, that itself appeared only briefly. 

It seems to me that we need to look at some of the recent patchings because there were far fewer of these problems a couple of months ago when the player base was 50% larger. I am not an IT bod so I cannot offer a solution to these issues but i will say that I think the whole "instability" issue has been slightly missunderstood by the developers for a long time, by that I mean that they are perhaps not aware exactly what many of the players are going through just to try to play the game, and perhaps because not enough were speaking up, or when they did they did so in the wrong tone and were not taken seriously.

"Stability" in terms of how long the server stays up is, to be honest, a matter of indifference to most people. Yes it's inconvenient if drops every 6 or 12 hours but if the gameplay inbetween is seemless then everyone is happy. Keeping the server up for as long as possible is nice but what has really been an issue since the project began is the issue of "locking up" during docking/undocking/gating/WHing. Even when the game was function "well" an average night of enb for me entailed running task manager 20-50 times to close my locked game and restart. I would stay in the same sectors when things were bad and mine just so that I could still play the game (This is one reason I have 3 JEs @ 150+!)  I know others that play enb and it is apparent that those who live big cities and have massive broadband pipelines have had far fewer issues gating than the out-of-towners on 2,4, or 6 meg connections etc. It is NOT the slow connection that was CAUSING the old issues of dropping whilst gating and in WH but whatever this issue is it seems they may be more succeptable to it. Such connections are plenty to run a game like enb and indeed once in a sector we could mine non-stop for hours without problems. As soon as I tried a WH, boom, it dropped (stuck at galaxy screen).

My concern is this: I do know that in order to solve an issue the devs must recreate it, however if they are anything like most crunch-heads I know then they probably all have the biggest fastest connections immaginable and therefore the issues that affect so many of us may not manifest themselves in the same way to them. I am told that the game accesses the login server everytime we change sector, if this is the case I suspect that finding a way to bypass this function will put an end to the issues that those with slower connections are having. As I said the dev stuff is all way over my head and I wouldn't even be able to say what is and isn't possible to implement to fix these issues. What we do need is more people coming forward with the issues to help give the devs better understanding of what is going on.

I am told that the game accesses the login server everytime we change sector, if this is the case I suspect that finding a way to bypass this function will put an end to the issues

I am not a devs and have not seen the codes, but it seems that accessing the login server is a must-do thing during sector changes.  I know from reading the dev posts that the client encrypt the messages to the server and decrypt the messages coming from the server.  That would require a re-handshake of the server encryption key every time the client gates/WH/dock/undock.

In brief, I believe the devs were aware of the problem, but could not find a solution around that.

I just started getting errors on launch. It says I have an incompatible version of net7proxy, latest version is 2.30

and then crashes with another message: Server failed to respond to login attempt.

I did have a wee problem with Windows 8 but it did an automatic repair and generally seems to be working....

ok I found a solution to my problem, at least to a great extend. :D

I had a feeling it was networking related so i thought long and hard (unusual for me i know  :P)

What if the new proxy/packet system was somehow messing with my router? Crashing every single time was excessive even for a dial up connection let alone an ADSL line.

My first thought was to put my PC into DMZ but i really dont like that option

Then i turned to SPI Stateful Packet Inspection. Fortunately my router has options about SPI and various components of it.

So i turned SPI off and i was able to gate multiple times without a crash  woot!

Then i started re enabling components one by one.

Finally the one option that seemed to matter for me was packet fragmentation.

I really don't know the consequences for leaving that out but i guess no one will DoS me anyway lol

I still suffer the occasional crash but at least i have a solid foundation for further investigation now.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

• Upvote 1

SPI is a firewall function... Since I have already disabled or killed everything remotely like a firewall between me and the servers for E&B I don't think this will help me any.. :( I am still crashing often enough I don't even bother to do anything that involves gates...

Well my guy that died yesterday is now well and truly helpless. I cannot JS myself because reactor is dead. I can't tow because attempting to do so just drops/locks the game. When I run task manager to close the game and then restart it I appear in the same place.

Question for the Devs:

In the STs when logging in after a lock-up the affected toon would then be in their destination sector, ie although we couldn't see it the too had transferred to the new sector BEFORE the game locked. Why was this changed? At least with the old system you were limited to one lock-up/crash per jump, now there is the very real possibility of sitting on the wrongside of a gate/WH stuck in a constant loop of "attempt gate/run task manager to close game/reload game/repeat step one!"

I know some seem to be able to play, there are still 200+ showing in game and I guess they can't all be stuck, but very many are having big problems and this dosen't seem to being acknowledged. I was very suprised not to see an update when I tried to log in this evening and quite suprised that no devs spoken on this thread yet. Something in the last two patches has caused enormous problems, it can't be that difficult to undo what was done surely?

SPI is a firewall function... Since I have already disabled or killed everything remotely like a firewall between me and the servers for E&B I don't think this will help me any.. :( I am still crashing often enough I don't even bother to do anything that involves gates...

Try puting your PC in DMZ, that means outside of routers protection and into the wild,  and see if there is any change to your sitiuation. I have noticed that routers sometimes have buggy components like port forwarding or firewaling even though you set the options correctly.

When i did that i immediately saw a difference and went from there.

Just don't leave it there even if it helps with your troubles.

Could it be when the dev's worked on the client to make handoffs smoother it kind of tweaked out a bit to much .i am getting a lot of bounceing on laptop(which is wireless ,and a 10 to 15 lag on desktop(hardwired) .. just a thought.

I have been having the group gating and winding up in odd places myself since that patch.  It doesn't happen in every sector, but it was happening in Lagarto a lot.  It sent my PW next to the Appian gate as a safe spot...tried to get out, but I was sheared to death.  So...that was fun.

Cut the devs some slack please.  We don't have a rigourous test team like an established game shop does, and everything must be done in trial-and-errors, since we don't have the client source codes.  I am confident the SDevs will fix it!!!!

For now I just gate my toons one at a time!

ok i missed a added note on the launcher ,click on the  prototype reorder. it helps a whole lot and makes the back the way it was ,gating is faster ,and smother .so sorry i ranted earlier .but that post was added later on the launcher :) just saying !!

Try puting your PC in DMZ, that means outside of routers protection and into the wild,  and see if there is any change to your sitiuation. I have noticed that routers sometimes have buggy components like port forwarding or firewaling even though you set the options correctly.

When i did that i immediately saw a difference and went from there.

Just don't leave it there even if it helps with your troubles.

Putting my computer in line with my connection is not possible.  My connection point to the ISP IS a router, behind a NAT... A DMZ is a bit different in that it involves two routers and a firewall to build a DMZ.  Direct connect to the world is not possible and ill-advised to not even have a NAT in there.. I am bare to the world in every other way...  Also I am a in a house with not 1 but 7 devices that connect to the internet, so in I were to bridge my router and pull the IP directly to my PC I will not be able to use anything else in my house.... Not gonna happen...

Cut the devs some slack please.  We don't have a rigourous test team like an established game shop does, and everything must be done in trial-and-errors, since we don't have the client source codes.  I am confident the SDevs will fix it!!!!

For now I just gate my toons one at a time!

I wish that worked for me, I am still unable to reliably undock/gate a single toon..:P  But I understand the Dev issues, being that nobody is getting paid I can wait until the next patch and just hope the tweak it such that I can play again.. :)

Im in the same boat. The game is playable but barely and its becoming increasingly annoying to the point i dont even want to log in anymore. I can't do much but sit in one zone with all my toons and just kill the same mob all day etc because of all the crashes. Obviously that gets boring after awhile. I'm confident they will figure it out and fix it I just hope it doesnt take weeks otherwise a roll back would or something would greatly be appreciated =/

Im in the same boat. The game is playable but barely and its becoming increasingly annoying to the point i dont even want to log in anymore. I can't do much but sit in one zone with all my toons and just kill the same mob all day etc because of all the crashes. Obviously that gets boring after awhile. I'm confident they will figure it out and fix it I just hope it doesnt take weeks otherwise a roll back would or something would greatly be appreciated =/

Just logged in to see if the issues were fixed on Tuesday. No mention of it the patch notes save for a mention of a group gating issue (which is the least of the worries), sure enough I sat on galaxy screen for a minute or two before appearing in earth station. Attempting to say hi to my guildie buddies in chat showed straight away 1 minute of lag, which was soon 5 minutes of lag, followed soon by an indeterminate amount of lag (I switched off, bored waiting). What is really disturbing is that there seems to be no acknowledgement of these issues that are affecting so many. Why no Dev comment on this thread? I hear Lannister when he says "cut the devs some slack" but right now I would just like to see some dev acknowledgement that these issues actually exist. "Denial" is a strong word to use but all that's needed is an undo of 3 or 4 patches and get back to playing the game. The game is losing players guys, when I did log in I noticed 157 players online. There's enough people leaving because their win buttons got taken away, if the hardcore who play regardless of content leave because they can't even physically play the game anymore then this thing will be finished inside 6 months. For my part I shall keep trying to log in, and checking the forums and patch notes eagerly awaiting the fix, I'm not about to give up on it yet. Many already have though..

It seems that there are more than a few people with this issue.  My story is very similar to a number of descriptions above.  Until this patch, I was able to play just fine, with no latency issues on all my toons.  Since the patch I have experienced exponential latency the longer I'm logged in - until I am unable to do anything in game except re-start my computer to get the client to shut down.   Today's test was the worst yet (6/6/2013).  Today I was able to log in, select toon, and wall around station, look at inventory and even change out a module (although with slight 3-5 second latency).  Unfortunately I was not able to leave the station and hung up in un-dock for about 30 minutes (while I surfed through the forums) before deciding to restart my computer, yet again, to get out of the client.

Totally understand the Dev testing, updating, installing thing.  I'll continue o keep checking to see if this issue has been fixed.  I waited 10 years for this game to come back - I can wait a little longer for this issue to get cleared up.

I get to the log in... put the password in then  to character selection and click on my avatar and then....nothing...its like it freezes and in one case I had to re-boot puter...any chance of fixing soon...got 4 days off and haven't been able to play till today cause of work..lol...now I get a break and cant log in....tanks for all the work being done on the game...

• 2 months later...

I'm trying to disable the "Mouse Lock", but it's not in my Launcher Options. Only has 2 options on left;

Packtet Optimization

Prototype Reorder

I have version 1.9.9 - What should I do to disable the mouse lock for multiple instances?

Edited by twnaru