2 New Players

Good morning, everyone.

My brother and I just downloaded the game and are going to give it a whirl after not having played since the live servers were up way back when.

I had a few questions before we get going:

1. Given the low-ish population, do you think build skills will be pretty useful for us to get our hands on some nicer items, or will recipes be very hard to come by?

2. Any random tips for people that remember almost nothing about the game other than having fun?

I'm sure I have more questions, but those are the two I can think of right now.

Thanks!

Welcome back to having fun  :)

Your build skills wont be useful to you because there are already established builders that can provide you with anything you need equipment wise.

It goes with out saying that if you enjoy the building component of the game there is nothing stoping you from doing so.

Building has changed since the old live you remember but i wont dwelve into that now.

As for your 2nd question just follow the missions that are available from NPCs in your starter areas and it will slowly come back to you.

Ofcourse New Players channels is always a good source of information within the game itself.

CU out there space sailor

Also in this version the Scout, Seeker, and Privateer are in, though they are in need of more equipment.  If you want to build, then use said skills, if you're not interested in building, use the points elsewhere.

When you want things built over the market, generally you're better off if you have the parts for the item you want built.  Use the Net 7 Portal database to find out what parts are needed for the equipment you want built.

As for tips, you can check out the 61 Cygni site, it has lots of info you may find useful (http://61cygni.site88.net) or it's mirror (http://61cygni.site90.net).

I also recommend Dodgers maps site for any navigational questions (http://enbmaps.de).

If you are in the build business, start all 3 Progen characters (PW, PS, PP) and have some fun (and frustration) with Agrippa.

Agrippa in itself is a challenge even for established builders.

Thank you for all of the replies!  They are very helpful.

If you could give a sentence as to how crafting has changed, that would help a ton!

I'm leaning towards a Defender, as I find the beam weaponry, cloaking, and reliance on devices pretty intriguing.

They seem a bit fragile with nice damage, but it seems like it would be rewarding to play well.

Conversely, the Enforcer strikes me as interesting, but I'm concerned (Probably unduly) about rocket costs for a new player.

I don't think you should worry much about the cost of ammo/equipment.   The revenue scale up with your level, i.e. the higher the mob level, the higher the value of the drop.

The TW does get to make his own ammo, and has Negotiate 5 to lower the costs of doing so (lower build costs, lower costs for components purchased from vendors).  TW learns build Weapons prior to their first hull upgrade at OL10.  The JW is quite fun to play, but the first priority when fighting with any Jenquai character is to get to EL25 and combat cloak.  With a Jenquai shoot your enemy from behind whenever you can.  Unless your enemy can see cloaked you can avoid much damage by decloaking only to shoot, use devices, or skills, and be cloaked when you're not doing that.  Not sure how well Energy Leech works, didn't much use it with my JW in E&B Origins, or emulator.