Off Emu issue with Windows

I know this is off the topic but I am hoping someone has an answer before I say *&^% it and do a wipe/re-install.

I keep having some odd issues with windows.

1 is as I am typing something I get a search window upon pressing a certain key stroke. It is random and as I typed my original question I ended up on the topic with no way to go back to what i had typed.

2 If I cut/copy paste a file I have to either refresh or hit f5 to get the change to show, and if I try to recopy/cut paste explorer crashes.

TBH it seems to me windows is corrupt and nothing short of a wipe/reinstall will fix it.

Yet I hope someone may have an answer that is not a total pain such as a fresh install that it appears I need.

I have ran almost every AV, malware program available and nothing shows up. I am not sure but at this time I think I have something along the malware line that is affecting me that is coded so to not seem bad or something along that line of thought.

Edited by shadowxsx

Hrm.. easy thing to try would be another keyboard if you have one.. as it almost sounds like sticky key syndrome..

Tried a different KB already and same issues.

Even if sticky keys are an annoyance when active,  that does not explain the explorer issues with having to force a screen refresh to show a pasted file. I tried resetting folder options and all the things I found online about the issue, but nothing has helped.

Only thing I can think of is corruption or some kind of malware that is causing the issue , so was hoping for an answer that did not involve a reformat. I have a restore file I made with arconis but it will be a pain in the tail end reinstalling everything.

Plus I was having similar issues before I bought this new KB ( logitech g510 gaming KB). Though the longer i do not do a fresh  install, the worse the issues become.

Edited by shadowxsx

Yeah well I was kinda clutching @ straws on the KB :P

What have you tried so far? 

If you boot to safe mode does the problem still occur?

What about a clean boot? (using msconfig and disabling all non-ms services)

Yeah well I was kinda clutching @ straws on the KB :P

What have you tried so far? 

If you boot to safe mode does the problem still occur?

What about a clean boot? (using msconfig and disabling all non-ms services)

i have tried so much that clutching at straws is all I have.

If I run SFC /scannow I get no errors (basically it can not find an issue)

I have nothing that says "fix me" . As it stand I either live with the annoyance or do a wipe/restore.

I was hoping that someone may have had a similar issue and found a fix that does not involve a wipe/reinstall.

I have tried AV scans (various ones)

Spybot S&D, ad aware, hijack this. Basicly everything I know  (worked in tech support for years so I am not a noob ;) )

I am at a loss, it may have been a windows update that caused a snafu somewhere,I am on Windows 7 pro x64

well I've got 3 lines of thinking on this.. although sounds like you have tried all if not most of these?

1. application issue. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

2. driver issue - as in network drivers (download up to date drivers boot to safe-mode - uninstall network drivers, reboot install drivers)

3. user settings - probably folder setting issue -> create a new user on pc and see if issue still occurs..

I will try creating a new user, already booted into safe mode and I keep my drivers up to date.

If it a profile issue I do know the only change i made myself in folder options was to show hidden files.

Well it is apparently it is a profile issue as everything works normally under the test profile.

Hmm... Any Ideas on what it could be that is profile specific?

Already reset folder options to default and that did not help.

Edited by shadowxsx

A trip to the google machine might be in order tbh.. had a quick look seems to be a few solutions..

Iconcache.db might be a good place to start though...

Well not sure what it is but now for some reason safe mode is working normally. This issue seems adaptive and even trying fixes I have found online either complicate issues or show strange results.

I do think at this point it is some type of program causing the issue, but I am unable to pinpoint the cause.

I have disabled startup items, all known items and even unknown programs though services and msconfig. The issue still persists

Even as I was typing this I had to randomly use the remove format option as it went bold, underlined, or (the slanted typing)...

Edited by shadowxsx

Is your keyboard USB? Do you have any other USB devices attached? If so remove ALL but your keyboard and mouse, do a shutdown and restart (Not a reboot).  See if you are still having the issue.  If not start plugging in your other devices one by one. If all get plugged in with no issue you fixed it. It sounds like one or more of your USB devices is sending bogus info that is being interpreted as keyboard data.

Just a thought

At this point I do not think this issue is not a keyboard issue,Now this issue is becoming rather apparent to be some form of malware related.

I have things in the uninstall section of the control panel appearing at random (playtopus last removed example). at this point I really do think this issue is not a simple issue to fix.

Wish it would be a simple fix but as programs that are well known as malware are now appearing at random, I think the issue is some type of malware program dropping things into my system.

Now I have things that are disgusting appearing that I have found that I NEVER would ave even looked at, So it it some form of virus or backdoor.Guess my only option is to do a format to get what ever disgusting individual off my computer and internet.

Edited by shadowxsx

• 1 month later...

Well after all the hassle I ran malwarebytes and it found 3 things (2 not even installed as they were from "only GOD knows when back") and one off the wall named thing that I can not even remember as it was so off the wall that even a google search turned up no results.

Now everything is mostly working, but the auto refresh works mostly except on desktop. As the cut/copy paste issue was from trying to do the same thing to a nonexistent file.

But today I got scared, I was sitting here and heard a noise like something fell. After looking around and seeing nothing that could have made the noise, I look at the display on my keyboard and it shows my cpu (quadcore maxed, the date all 9s, my gpu temp maxed @ 255 C, fan 100% and memory 255%). Well at first I thought that something with my video card died as it has been running a little hotter than norm. I took it apart and found a mess of buildup on the heatsink so cleaned that, removed the old thermal compound and added some arctic silver. Put it back together and put it in and it worked for a few minutes and the gpu was 24c cooler at idle, then the tower shut down.

As I have seen some strange things involving video card failure, I turn to that and call up a buddy and he has a spare PCI-X card he says I can use. So I run down there mad as a hornet at my 4th nvidia card failure in 6 years, get there take off the side of my tower and put it on his bench and see my CPU heatsink is loose (then laugh in relief). Even though I did not see any damage to my GPU board I assumed that the noise I heard was a capacitor blowing, but I was happily wrong.

Well as I did not have my arctic silver thermal compound with me, we re affixed the heatsink and it ran smoothly without a hiccup even though a little on the warm side. So the noise was my aftermarket cpu heatsink somehow coming loose, and all it took after getting home was reapplying some thermal compound and now all mostly normal (minus the desktop auto refresh issue) LOL.

Edited by shadowxsx

• 2 weeks later...