JE Shield Increase

I know it has been a while since I have been on or spoken to the dev team regarding the JE shield increase but I would love to hear if anyone else would like to see the JE Shields increased.    I am so elated to be playing again and this group of people are like family to me.  Thanks for everyone's input here.  --Gwyn   

If you were around during Valentine event (Feb 14, 2013), the heart shield was distributed by the GM to everyone.  It is the perfect shield for a JE, IMHO.  I still kick myself for not asking for a higher level shield for my JE!!!!

Not sure what you are asking for here?  For the capacity of JE only shields to be increased? Drops of JE Shields to be increased? For JE's to be able to equip the same shield as someone else and get more capacity out of it?  As far as Jenquai only shields having less cap, they have both equip & activated deflect buffs, which I think is a balancing act with the cap.

Sevin

Not sure what you are asking for here?  For the capacity of JE only shields to be increased? Drops of JE Shields to be increased? For JE's to be able to equip the same shield as someone else and get more capacity out of it?  As far as Jenquai only shields having less cap, they have both equip & activated deflect buffs, which I think is a balancing act with the cap.

Sevin

I agree with this question in wondering exactly what's being asked for.  I don't think that a JE needs a shield with higher cap than any of the existing ones, at least not at this time.  Poor shields are supposed to be the Jenquai racial weakness, so I don't think that Jenquai should get better shields than they currently do, at least not as far as cap or recharge are concerned.

When it comes to actual combat with a JE, one of the first things you want to do as soon as you can, is level your Explore experience to L25 so you can get combat cloak.  During any fight using your JE, same for JW or JT, shoot your enemy from behind whenever possible.  Enemies cannot shoot backwards with beam or projectile weapons, only missiles.  This helps you avoid damage.  If you're not shooting or using another skill, you should be cloaked.  Use an engine with low signature for fighting.  Get a Coma device starting at OL20/L3 devices, and upgrade it each time you upgrade your device tech.  This device can be used to blind your enemies.   Put 3 points into your fold space skill.  Use it to teleport attackers away from your ship (L3 Teleport Enemy).

I will say this... Even during live one of the biggest complaints about any Jen class was shields.

Unfortunately I have to agree with the live DEV stance, that Jens were never intended to have (good shields/L9s) as they posses skills other classes do not. 

There are any number of damage decreases that reduce a specific damage type that Jens have, that are unavailable to other races.

I agree if  you base your view off of hull and shield strength that Jens are weak, yet look at the skill base and items they can use compared to other classes. Jens are the weakest class if you look at hulls and shields only, but even then during live in the arena I could kill a PW or TE with the right setup with my JD. I put on two emp beams and those classes kept raid gear, they were push overs (as they could not attack me)..

Edited by shadowxsx

I will say this... Even during live one of the biggest complaints about any Jen class was shields.

Unfortunately I have to agree with the live DEV stance, that Jens were never intended to have (good shields/L9s) as they posses skills other classes do not. 

There are any number of damage decreases that reduce a specific damage type that Jens have, that are unavailable to other races.

I agree if  you base your view off of hull and shield strength that Jens are weak, yet look at the skill base and items they can use compared to other classes. Jens are the weakest class if you look at hulls and shields only, but even then during live in the arena I could kill a PW or TE with the right setup with my JD. I put on two emp beams and those classes kept raid gear, they were push overs (as they could not attack me)..

And then my PS came along and killed you..leaving you scratching your head with a wtf? How did he do that? :)

Hmm its posting mine in your quote..whats with that? :s

Edited by Mattsacre

I agree that the shields are fine as is for 2 reasons. One a JE with the right gear can obtain almost 100k shields as someone said earlier and 2 they are meant to be the weakest combat class by default. With all their skills and talents they are the ultimate support class and as a result should be squishy imo

Yes, it is a class weakness.  If Jens get better shields then Progen get better engines and Terrans get better reactors.  Then everyone will have everything and we won't even need all these different races or classes.  :-)

I know it has been a while since I have been on or spoken to the dev team regarding the JE shield increase but I would love to hear if anyone else would like to see the JE Shields increased.    I am so elated to be playing again and this group of people are like family to me.  Thanks for everyone's input here.  --Gwyn   

Not needed.  And thats from someone who played a JD in EA Live.  Could solo kill pretty much anything, except the high level 57+ mobs that weren't meant to be soloed to begin with.  Not to mention JE's are suppose to be the weakest class when it comes to combat.  The only issue I've seen currently, with JD at least, is that in EA live, the max amount for psi shield was 16,600 with device equip buffs, now it's far less.  Now on the JE side, they have enviro shield, which adds a lot of outright passive defense against dmg. 

Not needed.  And thats from someone who played a JD in EA Live.  Could solo kill pretty much anything, except the high level 57+ mobs that weren't meant to be soloed to begin with.  Not to mention JE's are suppose to be the weakest class when it comes to combat.  The only issue I've seen currently, with JD at least, is that in EA live, the max amount for psi shield was 16,600 with device equip buffs, now it's far less.  Now on the JE side, they have enviro shield, which adds a lot of outright passive defense against dmg. 

Agreed, not to mention L5+ does a small amount of feedback damage, and L6+ gives small reactor returns.  Incoming energy damage is exempt from those benefits of environment shield.  JEs can fight quite effectively, despite being the weakest class, with the right tactics, patience, and being selective of when to engage in combat.  Don't forget that the JE, like the other explorers, also has access to the GETCo "Animal skin" lines of activated deflect buff devices.

Tradeoffs. You will never see a Jenquai with a level 9 equivalent shield.  That is their racial weakness (progens/engines and terrans/reactors rounding this out)

Cloak, Psi Shield, summon, teleport, and evironmental shield make up for it greatly (especially cloak).

• 3 weeks later...

While many have pointed out what happens at higher levels, at lower levels you do indeed need a good shield, b/c you don't have Combat Cloak. This game is weird in that equipment from other races isn't just better for specific circumstances, it's way better than your own races' stuff. So the trick becomes finding someone else's shield that will do you. 

I find that the Terran Model X and Model Y shields are very good for Jenqs who can't get a Scale or Dragonplate at lower levels. They don't have specific buffs for Jenqs, but they are readily available, have very good capacity, fast recharge and Equipment Engineering (activated, put the shield on a hotkey) so you can swap gear quickly while your fighting reactor is in.

I honestly don't know anyone who even uses Jenq shields at lower levels. which is probably why nobody really has a problem with the way they are.

• 3 weeks later...

There are only 2 things jenny shields are good for:

1. Some have good active buffs. The shield cap and recharge are almost universaly sucky, so those that use them for buffs, buff then switch to the other shield.

2.Some have PM or semi-rare comps and are used to rip parts out of.

other than that I can't think of any other reason anyone would prefer a jenny shield :)

Oh wait edit: vendor food a #3 :)

Edited by Mattsacre

• 1 month later...

Someone mentioned JD being capable of killing 57+ during live it being "difficult". 

Frankly no idea there. Yet I do kill 58+ mobs on my Jenquai Grandmaster solo with patience.

I am a fan of the JE more the the JD when it comes to battling/hunting mobs.

Do I have 90K shields? not even close. 57k-ish yet I kill a L66 (the Comet in Niff) just the same.

Except for "Raid type"-mobs and "see cloaked" -mobs I do oke.

Tactics is key I guess.

Someone mentioned JD being capable of killing 57+ during live it being "difficult". 

Frankly no idea there. Yet I do kill 58+ mobs on my Jenquai Grandmaster solo with patience.

I am a fan of the JE more the the JD when it comes to battling/hunting mobs.

Do I have 90K shields? not even close. 57k-ish yet I kill a L66 (the Comet in Niff) just the same.

Except for "Raid type"-mobs and "see cloaked" -mobs I do oke.

Tactics is key I guess.

That's about right, if it can't see cloaked or get into your hull, from full shields, with one shot it's killable 1 on 1 with a JE, JW, or JT, with the right tactics.

Very true.  

As implied Jens were never really the aggressive race.

Patience is certainly a virtue while playing them.

However I find the JD extremely potent, perhaps even more so then the other warriors.

Careful use of the psionic shield can make it so you are nearly invul.

Also using fold space to push your enemy back and give you some breathing room can really help.

Combine all that with combat cloak and auto-crits and you have a real monster on you hands.

Biggest advantage I think is that lasers don't use ammo.

I've seen what happens when by mistake a PW or TW forgets to load up on ammo and runs out in the middle of missions or grinding.

They are very strong, but if they run out of ammo then they are toast.

It does come down to how you prefer your combat.

Up in their face, faceoff - PW

Range - TW

Stealth & crit - JD