Darkdronen

Skill Cap Question

13 posts in this topic

I have a question that is something i want to know the answer to. Can you please Explain to us in detail how the SKILL lvl cap on all skills work such as terms used like soft cap/hard cap and tell us how the HARD cap helps the game. We are not exactly sure about certain items because of this hard cap/soft cap explanation and in all reality if there is some hard cap on some skills the items in game become completely useless because of it. So maybe if we understand how it works, we can come up with a solution to compensate for this issue.

Darkdronen, 

I split your question into a new post so we can better track it. 

A couple of points I can answer though probably not in the details you hopped. 

• Skills are, in general, capped at level 10. Which allows for some growth in skill capability beyond what you can do with skill points. 
  • Skill capability growth which is given as part of a device buff applies to the already earned skill capabilities only and doesn't offer skill capability progress (i.e. you cannot use a device to get combat cloak unless you have skill points in that level of the skill). 
  • Skill are handled different depending on the skill. Some are stronger (i.e. Psi shield), some occur quicker (i.e. cloak), some make you go faster (Navigate) and some do more damage. It is up to you to discover which. 

Does that help?

In regard to this question that is being asked. An example for weapon skills its at 9, there are items will boost that skill very easy. But if there is a cap on those skills whats the point to have those items, or even building them? That is something I like to know, I am sure in live there was not a cap there.

Regarding skills and item buffs. Is it possible to exceed L10 for lets say a professions weapon skill?

(ie: Player has maxed out their respective racial weapon skill (beams for me)) and then acquires a item (ie:Chimaera 9) that enhances that weapon skill?  (with my weapon skill at L9 and the Chimaera 9 buffing it by 4.39 skill levels in regards to accuracy)

Otherwise it begs the question why have such nice bonus's on an item that are for all intents and purposes useless?

I'm still not sure why skills are capped at lvl 10. There are items that make the skill go beyond lvl 10 and most of the time those items become unwanted because of uselessness. I understand that there is no point in using a device with a skill buff that a certain class does not have, but that still doesn't explain why the skills are capped at 10. Plus you can't prevent people from using items that buff a particular skill that a class doesn't have, it may have other buffs the person wants for his class toon. Also, i've heard an explanation that some people would spend points into other skills and keep them at lvl 4 or 5, this is not good because people will BE OL 150 and they normally spend points in skills that are lvl 7 max. All i'm saying is with the skill cap at level 10 you take out A LOT of items that push certain skills past the 10 barrier. Could ya put a soft cap on them all and put it back the way it was? It wouldn't hurt to do so.

I'm still not sure why skills are capped at lvl 10. There are items that make the skill go beyond lvl 10 and most of the time those items become unwanted because of uselessness. I understand that there is no point in using a device with a skill buff that a certain class does not have, but that still doesn't explain why the skills are capped at 10. Plus you can't prevent people from using items that buff a particular skill that a class doesn't have, it may have other buffs the person wants for his class toon. Also, i've heard an explanation that some people would spend points into other skills and keep them at lvl 4 or 5, this is not good because people will BE OL 150 and they normally spend points in skills that are lvl 7 max. All i'm saying is with the skill cap at level 10 you take out A LOT of items that push certain skills past the 10 barrier. Could ya put a soft cap on them all and put it back the way it was? It wouldn't hurt to do so.

It is because you can have less skill points for a skill and still increase it with your equipment...

Say like, you have L5 weapons but L8 devices that increase your weapon skill without having to put SP's or other skills... 

I know what they said at the time the reason they locked it at cap L10. It was the mathematics, that if things exceeded a hard cap then it would cause game unbalancing effects in their calculations.

As to why bother getting a device that adds skill more than 1 level if you are at level 9 now, the simple fact that it ups your base amount even if its capped, there are mobs with skills that lessen your skill in weapon x for a while, or interfere with your skill activation for a time. If the hard cap is 10, but in reality, you with your innate skill are 9 and have a device that boosts it 3-4 lvls, the mob debuffing you a lvl or 2 still won't lower you under L10 if you have a +3-4 skill levels.

Yes, I too would like hard caps off, but they at least in the past did it, and said it was so the balance didn't get away from them, hopefully in the future they can revisit that and maybe lift it, who knows?

I have always been curious about this as well. A 200% Aquila with Improved Beam Handling will add something like +5 to Beam Accuracy. A JD with Beam Skill 9 (accuracy at skill 9) will be able to hit a mob 10 CL above the toon or a CL 60 mob. With the additional +5 beam accuracy that should mean that a JD in theory would have beam accuracy of 14 or be able to hit up to a CL 64 mob without ever missing. If the Beam Skill is capped at 10, it pretty much makes the Aquila 9 useless for the Improved Beam Handling buff, unless of course you somehow managed to Level your JD to only have Beam Skill 5 and Device Tech 9. 

As for items like Vindis Beam Focus shield with a Beam Skill buff (add to actual beam skill not accuracy) of 2.5 at 100%, the JD would have Beam Skill 11.5. Now each level of beam skill adds 25% more damage for 200% at Skill 9, skill 11.5 should add at least another 62% to 262% damage. Again if the skills are capped at 10, thats the Beam Skill buff on any item pointless. 

You need to differ "skills" and "abilities".

A skill is the "base licence", the ability is what you do based on the skill LEVEL.

Cloak:

Cloak is a skill, but only at higher skill-levels you can cloak while moving, cloak your group memebers etc - this is the "ability".

While skills like "beam weapons" are capped at 10, abilities doesn't necessarily need to be capped at 10.

"Beam weapons" is doing nothing, just allowing you to USE beams at a certain level - but there are abilities tied to that skill like "beam damage".

There are many abilities in game, not capped at 10 (eg. shield recharge, scan range, reactor recharge etc). They are reading "increase your skill by 3.53 skill levels" <- only THESE buffs might(!) be capped - if at all. Note that these buffs are the minority.

The buff you will see way more often (and these are the majority of buffs) are the ones reading "increasing XY by 30%".

There will be a "diminishing return" formula somehwere in the future, basically lifting all caps but making the gain "degressing" at high levels.

For instance you would gain (just an example) like 15% at level 5, but only additional 1.9% at level 10 (example values).

Scan buffs come in two different flavors.  Increase range by X%, and Increase scan range by X units (meters).   The former type favors explorers, since they only count the base scan range in their percentage calculation, while the other is profession neutral and apply equally to anyone able to equip the equipment in question.  It's offset a bit when it comes to debuffs to scan range, as far as X% debuffs, like X% buffs will be bigger when your base scan range is 5.0Km which all explorers get, vs. 3.5Km that all other professions get, debuffs will work in the same fashion.

The above post makes perfect sense now, but please implement this soon. The whole problem i noticed with hard cap on ABILITIES is there is no "i can get the best item to boost that ability the highest" incentive anymore. So i do understand the diminishing return solution but i think we need more explanation on how increase your skill by 3.53 skill lvls affects the abilities and how certain buffs like for example: increase beam skill and increase beam handling which both of these basically increase beam accuracy. As for other skills, like Hull patch,  the highest can be 3.99 skill increased but does that mean the hull patch ability can be increased by 3.99 lvls?

The above post makes perfect sense now, but please implement this soon. The whole problem i noticed with hard cap on ABILITIES is there is no "i can get the best item to boost that ability the highest" incentive anymore. So i do understand the diminishing return solution but i think we need more explanation on how increase your skill by 3.53 skill lvls affects the abilities and how certain buffs like for example: increase beam skill and increase beam handling which both of these basically increase beam accuracy. As for other skills, like Hull patch,  the highest can be 3.99 skill increased but does that mean the hull patch ability can be increased by 3.99 lvls?

No, beam handling and beam skill are different!.  Yes, beam handling increases accuracy. No, beam skill don't. Beam skill adds level of beam access and a % increase to base damage. Beam handling is how good you manage to hit, and miss, and has a minor effect on how often you will make a critical hit (2x dmg).

As to hull patch, if you read the description, you will see that it heals hull for a base amount @ level 1, there after it increases the amount healed based on each level attained. At upper levels it has additional effects live target other players, area of effect, group etc. So the device that adds +3.99 lvls makes you have 10.99, yes as it is with a hard cap, it only counts to 10 and that .99 is "wasted" level. But that +3 part is important, it increases that base amount healed by X times over and above what L7 would have been.

Example:  (not real numbers just an example) L1 heals say 100 hull hp @ 10 sec., L2 heals base amount 3x @ 10 sec. (so 300hp), L3 heals base amount 10x @ 10 sec. (so 1000hp) AND targetable to other player. L4 base amount etc........L7 all additional buffs and AoE and base amount by  100x (10k). now add that extra 3 lvls you are going to get say 150x base amount (15k).

Mattsacre, if you look on net-7.org 2 items only do improved beam skill and the description says increases beam accuracy. The other one is the vibrant beam lvl3(not in game) and it says Up beam skill which therefore then increases beam skill directly by 2 lvls. My whole point in this is the extra .99 of the 3.99 is waste but VERY important cause it makes the player CHOOSE which items to use that has hull patch skill. So if for example the hull patch skill is 4.50 that extra 1.50 lvls is half the 3 lvls added to lvl 7 HP skill.

So if the cap is lifted then items become more desirable to use such as a prismatic dragon wing lvl 9 engine that has close to 6.XX shield recharge skill.