This is a reaching long-shot, but here goes,

In another MMORPG, I saw a dropped item, looted item, or free-standing spawned item that was found by a player (through their toon). This item's description said something to the effect of: "This item begins a mission." This allowed the player-toon to begin a quest off of an item's initiation. I gave rodent thought to this phenomena.

Can a pilot (a game toon) find, loot, or be given an item, device, weapon, or other system that is so mysterious (I hear sounds of Jenquai mysticism) that it sets off a mission line that cannot be completed alone by the discovering pilot. The pilot can space the mystery OR they can seek to muster a group of pilots to further probe the item's mysteries, a mission towards deeper truths of the item's history, significance, or destiny.

What this does is to allow the player-pilot to become a mission-giver instead of a station NPC. Is the Earth & Beyond Emulator capable of such? This lends itself to roleplay should the discovering pilot choose to muster a team in-character.

Just some Gouda for thought,

From the writer's desk at NET-7 SOL, this is the Pakkrat. Edited by Pakkrat

That sounds like a pretty good idea if it's doable.  I'd make it so that at least some of those could be done solo, and only require a group for the ones with the best rewards.  I wonder if, at the very least, it could be done in a form similar to a turn in.  You find the item in question, take it to the appropriate NPC, the NPC does a profession check, and sends you off to do a mission based on whether you're a warrior, trader, or explorer.  (each profession gets different mission requirements.)

Although it's foreshortened and brief mission, isn't a AA device turn in just that? You find something mysterious, go to npc to discover what it is and they take fee and you got a new device. There is the mechanic right there, there is no reason missions couldn't be keyed that way.

A sidenote. I took the Bartle Gamer Psychology Quiz during lunch today. Your Anchor-rat scored:

Explorer 80%
Socializer 73%
Achiever 27%
Killer 20%

"Explorer-Socializer"

Thirty questions and your Net-7 News-rat has been relegated to the corner where they keep the Carebears, Wallflowers, and Social Butterflies. The Tribunal and Presidium is less than pleased. I shall have to slay many InfinitiCorp Paladins and Jenquai Patrol Cruisers to avoid demeritus ratings.

On location at Arx Magister, this is the Pakkrat. Edited by Pakkrat