Using skills at warp/simultaneously

Is there a limiting factor to being able to activate more than one skill at a time, or at warp? Or for that matter removing and installing gear at warp as well. If I remember correctly, it was possible to swap devices, shields, weapons at warp in Live. About the only thing you could not swap was an engine or reactor as both are required to actually be in warp. 

This also applied to using skills at warp. One was able to use skills like Supercharge Shields, Psi Shield, Summon or activate buffs such as telescopium, musca, sextant or any other self  buffs. There were limits to what could be used like cloaking, as there is a skill to cloak at warp, and using skills on mobs at warp - like Summon enemy for example. 

It was also possible to activate more than one skill simultaneously, and would increase the 'fun factor' immensely to be able to do so again.

Well....we would need some kind of a "list" what was possible in the o-game and some kind of screen shots or similar proofs - too many people post something as "canon" when it is a "wish" in real.

We could discuss this list internally and would report back.

I have nothing to contribute but my support for this idea. I'd seriously like to be able to buff group members on the way to the action, and I need to swap devices for that.

I also don't see any downside re balance, and in addition, it would fix the bug where you're on a planet, but can't reconfigure because you get the "can't do this while in warp!" message. At least for most swappables, anyways.

I don't have a screen, but I know you could use repair equip and hull patch during warp, I loved to watch those little nanite-drone things pop out in front of ship and tickle my hull with repair beams with the streaky lights of warp surrounding me. Id do it even when I wasn't injured just for fun to see it, however you couldn't do it much, since it took energy and your reactor wasn't charging during warp, you would end up at your destination juiceless.

When we got our hindends handed to us we usually were repairing all way to gate in cooper to finish up heal/repair, or all way through grissom, shepard heading to OMP to save on the tow/docking fee.

I remember that the repulsor field was addable while warping, but you had to hit it fast between retargets of navs if you wanted to add it to others in group, same with the enviro shield.

I'm almost certain (but its hazy) that you could shield charge like the repulsor/enviro, and heal as well, the targeted healing was the same way, hitting nav as you travel retargeted you, you had to be nimble. the area heal you didn't have to target, but it sucked so much juice you could only pull it a few times before your reactor was at bottom.

I'm remembering that devices that were buff in nature worked, as long as they weren't to reactor or engine, with the exception of the TT RR devices, you could hit others in trade group with that while warping for sure, I'd take noobs on the spice run for a while and refresh the buff on them with it through glenn just to make sure it didn't fall off and slow the group down. The shield ones were also, my PS would hit everyone in group with refuge/refresh buffs on way to combat area.

the reactor device buffs I remember you could hit while warping, but the buff wouldn't be on at end of warp, so what would be the point.

And of course you couldn't use debuffs, you zipped past any mob you would hit to fast to even target them let alone use it. I think that's part of why the spiderweb device was never really implemented.

Oh psi shield..if I'm remembering right it was like the other bubble types, you had to target and mash the button before you retargeted another nav during warp.

As to device swaps, you could to devices but not to the core items (reactor/shield/engine). Anything that buffed warp (RR+, lazerus) if you pulled it during warp you lost that buff and would slow down, but adding it while warped didn't speed you up until you stopped and reengaged warp. Some of the devices you could put in, but not use, like sting or laser or telescopium, until you dropped warp.

Weapon swaps, you could pull a weapon while warped but not install a weapon while warped, but you could reload ammo or switch dmg types, I did that a lot going to cooper/niff depending on enemy type and their resistances. Edited by Mattsacre

Compulsory Contemplation could be used, or powered up while another skill was running, without breaking the other skill.  Same if the other skill was powering up, Compulsory Contemplation could be run or powered up.   Cloak would drop if any piece of equipment was activated, or if any skill other than CC was powered up. 

Skills that power up, then last for a particular duration would last for their duration even if you powered up another skill.  You just couldn't power it up an another skill at the same time. 

I don't have a screen, but I know you could use repair equip and hull patch during warp, I loved to watch those little nanite-drone things pop out in front of ship and tickle my hull with repair beams with the streaky lights of warp surrounding me. Id do it even when I wasn't injured just for fun to see it, however you couldn't do it much, since it took energy and your reactor wasn't charging during warp, you would end up at your destination juiceless.

When we got our hindends handed to us we usually were repairing all way to gate in cooper to finish up heal/repair, or all way through grissom, shepard heading to OMP to save on the tow/docking fee.

I remember that the repulsor field was addable while warping, but you had to hit it fast between retargets of navs if you wanted to add it to others in group, same with the enviro shield.

I'm almost certain (but its hazy) that you could shield charge like the repulsor/enviro, and heal as well, the targeted healing was the same way, hitting nav as you travel retargeted you, you had to be nimble. the area heal you didn't have to target, but it sucked so much juice you could only pull it a few times before your reactor was at bottom.

I'm remembering that devices that were buff in nature worked, as long as they weren't to reactor or engine, with the exception of the TT RR devices, you could hit others in trade group with that while warping for sure, I'd take noobs on the spice run for a while and refresh the buff on them with it through glenn just to make sure it didn't fall off and slow the group down. The shield ones were also, my PS would hit everyone in group with refuge/refresh buffs on way to combat area.

the reactor device buffs I remember you could hit while warping, but the buff wouldn't be on at end of warp, so what would be the point.

And of course you couldn't use debuffs, you zipped past any mob you would hit to fast to even target them let alone use it. I think that's part of why the spiderweb device was never really implemented.

Oh psi shield..if I'm remembering right it was like the other bubble types, you had to target and mash the button before you retargeted another nav during warp.

As to device swaps, you could to devices but not to the core items (reactor/shield/engine). Anything that buffed warp (RR+, lazerus) if you pulled it during warp you lost that buff and would slow down, but adding it while warped didn't speed you up until you stopped and reengaged warp. Some of the devices you could put in, but not use, like sting or laser or telescopium, until you dropped warp.

Weapon swaps, you could pull a weapon while warped but not install a weapon while warped, but you could reload ammo or switch dmg types, I did that a lot going to cooper/niff depending on enemy type and their resistances.

This ^^^ is exactly how I remember it also.

I would love to provide all the screenshots of swapping devices at warp or using multiple skills at the same time, but I fear they would be like Bigfoot - pretty rare, if they even exist at all. I know in my case, I never took screenshots of game mechanics back in the day in case I would need proof for a situation like this, 10 years later. So I think it may be asking a lot to provide proof of such things. I am afraid the best we will able to do, is to go on the good word of the player community who remember such things. I mean I could take a screenshot of "Error: Another skill is active" but how do you screenshot the opposite - if 2 skills are activated at the same time, there would be no warning text or anything, it would just work.

It could be done with common sense however, as in - does a cloaked toon need to hit cloak again to deactivate to cast a Psi shield, or can they just cast Psi shield  or fold space while cloaked. Not many things would break cloak to activate, not activating devices or others skills - except for cloak.

Weapon swaps, you could pull a weapon while warped but not install a weapon while warped, but you could reload ammo or switch dmg types, I did that a lot going to cooper/niff depending on enemy type and their resistances.

I, too remember it this ^^^  way.

Comments by Mattsacre, Klyde & Hobbs are spot on accurate with what I remember from my days on Andromeda. In summary, most of the non-aggressive skills were useable while in warp. The reference to "being quick on the button" was due to the dynamics of how the skill checks worked during EA live. While I do not possess the coding knowledge to accurately explain it, I can give you a rough idea of how it was done.

Check - Does player have skill?

Check - Does player have sufficient reactor?

Check - Is players target within skill range?

Check - Is players target valid? (incapacitated?)

Activate - Skill spool up timer.

Check - Is players target within skill range?

Check - Is players target valid? (incapacitated?)

Activate - Apply skill to current target.

It was the games natural acquisition of the next nav as you cleared the current nav that could disrupt the skill application because your new target (a nav) was invalid for skill application resulting in wasted power.

A skilled player could use proper tactics to apply his/her skills in a variety of methods. This could open up a whole new dynamic of battle tactics that, in my opinion, closer reflect tactics used in E.A. Live.

One such example: A teammate was downed in a fight. Proper communication would allow a teammate to activate a jump start cycle while I (targeting myself) could spool up a Psi shield. If timed correctly (upon successful jump start) I could switch targets to the incapacitated player at the moment of their revival and apply the Psi to them instead of myself.

Under current dynamics the distance check and valid target checks are only made at the beginning of the skills cycle with no final check at it's end. ie: I spool up a Psi shield on a target who has just activated his warp engine. My target leaves my immediate area in warp and is 50-60k away at the end of the spool (outside the minimal range limit) but the Psi is applied anyway.

While this is only the most limited description of the possibilities, I hope it was adequate in giving you a generalized view of how things once worked.

I would also like to add one final thought for consideration: While screenshots are handy as reference material, they should never be considered absolutes, nor should they take the place of good ole fashioned common sense. EA made a lot of mistakes and failed to fix a plethora of problems that our current staff have surpassed with flying colors. This is no longer E.A.'s Earth & Beyond... It is Net-7's Earth & Beyond Emulator. In many ways you (the staff) have succeeded where they failed.

Edited by ShadowWalker

I want to say you guys did a MARVELOUS job on the skills in warp with the recent patch.  :D It makes this JD very happy.

There are a couple of items that still need to be looked at, specifically having one skill override another without having the Error: Another skill is active. Specifically all actions related to cloaking and being cloaked. 

A great example is having to uncloak before using any other skill for a jenquai. As Cloak is so important to Jenquai, any mental skills (Fold Space, Summon, Psi Shield) should not affect cloak in any way. Using these skills will not break cloak but work concurrently with cloak.

Cloak should break when a Jenquai uses any skill other than Compulsory Contemplation or activates any piece of equipment, with the exception of warp engines for L6+ cloak.  Not sure if whatever L135 skill the JT and JW get would have the exception that CC gets for JE.

@Zack, he is saying some skills should be used during cloak but like Terrel pointed out, that's not really how it is supposed to be...

In my opinion, similiar to "weapon fire" while cloaked, other actions should auto-break cloak (except warp in L7 group cloak and looting from a dead mob) such as when you try to mine asteroid / hulk (ofcourse not when viewing contents but clicking an ore or item inside container), cloak should auto-break, rather than wait for player to decloak first. 

Edited by SiSL

Well in my opinion - and canon, the jenquai race have evolved to develop their mental abilities, which most jenquai skills are based upon. Some of the skills on a Jenquai ship are ship systems - cloak, energy leech, shield leech, etc. However Psionic abilities a JD would use are psionic based, like Fold Space, Psi shield and Summon. These skill are activated by ME using my awesome mind, not the ships systems. So in this regard I should be able to use any Psionic based ability from my mind, without affecting my ships systems, like cloak. 

Again I suggest that jenquai should be able to use any Psionic ability concurrently with cloak, unless the psionic skill is an offensive one,like Summon enemy, summon enemy group, or teleport enemy.  (And to Terrell, I agree Contemplation should not break cloak, nor should the not yet introduced 'Disable' Skill for the JD)

Let's try and remember Jenquai are much different than other races and therefore require a different approach.

In short...

All devices & most skills should automatically de-cloak the ship, with the very few exceptions mentioned above by Algaron.

Edited by ShadowWalker

Ok, so Jenny are different than the other races, and because of this you feel they should have a overpowering advantage because of it from cloak, I can except that, BUT I would like your suggestions to give the other races a overpowering advantage in their niches of effects as well before we even consider such a drastic change.

Maybe you could give the progen inherent supershield skill, that tosses off all dmg for a time or an enherant resistance, or maybe they should get a increased engagement window, that all their skills/weapons get a boost to range as they level up. *shrug*

Maybe the terrans missles should get smarter and smarter and longer and longer range as they level up, maybe they should get better resists or longer engagement windows, maybe they should have increased production results from builds, they get a chance of getting more ammo per build or a increased mystery buff on builds. *shrug*

Just because you like the idea and the convenience of doing everything while effectively immune....don't mean it should be a done thing, it in fact might be a balance of game breaker, sorry if you take this hard, but if you are going to give one race a "super skill" you got to balance it so the other 2 get a "super skill" also IMO

Well to be frank to your first point, I am not sure what "overpowering advantage' a cloaked Jenquai would have, because while I am cloaked I am not doing any damage to the mob. I am doing no offensive damage. None.  The skills I have mentioned are evasive and defensive in nature entirely. We use our mind power to evade enemies, those skills are powerful, but in a defensive sense only. Remember those skills are needed to compensate for the tiny shield and paper thin hull, and they are no less important to the Jenquai than Progen or Terran skills are to them.

To your last point, it is hardly a game breaker, and what race is getting a 'super skill' exactly? And what skill would this be? Seriously there is no 'super skill' involved, superior mental powers sure, but hardly a super skill. The fact that I should be able to teleport myself out of danger, teleport a friend out of danger, or cast a Psionic shield around my ship using my mind, while my shipped is cloaked, hardly gives me an advantage. I will survive longer in battle, but that was how the race was designed. Evasive, stealthy and quick. I am just looking for logic in the application of how skills are used here, like how does a psionic ability manage to disrupt my ships systems causing it to come out of cloak?

The Jenquai Race was designed to be masters of technology and religiously mental, or is that mentally religious? Anyways these powers have evolved to compensate for their small ships, so they need to be working as intended, if fact they need work as I suggested to bring the balance back into the game.

• Upvote 1

Well lets see about "super skill", you are asking to be able to do the following: charge any non-offensive skill and apply while cloaked "i.e. immune", be able to use any non-debuffing device while cloaked "i.e. immune". You don't find this an "inbalance" to the game dynamics? :blink:

Let's say then that all healers can say to mob, "hold on, I'm healing...it's not offensive..so don't shoot me while I'm doing it o.k.?"

Let have PS get to say "hold on, I'm powering down to heal my shields and recharge my reactor, ignore that damage I was doing earlier would ya? You know power down isn't offensive so stop shooting me!"

Let the warrior say, "yes, I know I was killing you and your buddies, but right now my turbo buff has fallen off, so lets call a time out while I switch devices and rebuff, time out!"

I'm sorry, Jenquia may be superhuman in the mental department in your mind, but to the rest of us out here, we figure cloaking and keeping the energies flowing in the proper manner to maintain cloak is taking to much of their mental acuity to distract themselves to multitask into other things, that in fact, if they get distracted doing those other things, cloak falls off.

I don't get how you don't see just how much this would be an inbalance.. you are in effect asking for a "time out AND be immune while being so" function, cloak is a time out OR a immune function, not both.

I'm sorry but as puny as my JE's are, to do a cloak and then be able to do everything else while immune from reprisal seems overpowered as much as I would like the ease of it.

Edited by Mattsacre

I have to agree with matt on this. Maintaining Cloak should require extreme concentration so it would not be possible to divert yourself into other "mental" skills too.

On a more practical note, if the mob cant see cloaked, you can use psi and other non offensive abilities indefinitely since anyone from your group can refill your reactor with a martyrs or antlia and never break your cloak.

"Guys, now that we're under way to our home station with all this loot, I'm gonna set my autopilot and go back in the back, to my cargo hold and start Dismantle on all this stuff at warp. Don't mind that I'm gonna rip this stuff down en route and save the delicious components for myself since I am a Privateer and this is how I roll. It's only fair since Jenquai Psi-master over there was a skill-whore the whole Raid. Besides that's what the skill's for, right? So, I'mma grab me one of those floating Yum-O-Rum we found and be in the back, okay?"

Now, we all know that Privateers don't have this skill, save for the hint of it during character creation. But to the topic of skills at warp, I could see such a skill being quite handy, game-breaking maybe, even if it was to make things interesting in favor of the Privateer. Yes, Dismantle probably doesn't work this way, but my point is that there are a few imagined ways we can make Terrans and Progen overpowered as well. If you want to invoke story cannon, here's a naughty:

While the Progen are masters of genetics and personal development, they have always been largely dependent on Earth's corporations for systems. That is, until the advent of the Collegia Forgemasters out of Nostrand Vor. Add to that, the inclusion of Agrippa Technologies contracts for the development of Progen systems meant for Progen use, (see the PDA description of the Collegia in the Faction tab). Hence, with Dismantle a Privateer can rip down plenty of systems, thus reverse-engineering anything not Progen-restricted. Add that to doing it at warp 5600+ (because I can travel that fast), and you have your fast-moving chop-shop in space.

"Pakkrat, that's not the point of this thread," you might say. Yes, if we're to give story-based or canon-based justification to the Jenquai in their Skills (a.k.a. psionics), let us remember to do the same for the Terrans (who also have Psis), and Progen (who are also masters of cybernetics). What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Be careful what you wish for. The other two races are listening. One of them is very good at reverse-engineering anything the other two can come up with.

On location at Nostrand Vor, loading up the Aromatic Chocolate, this is the Pakkrat.

Edit Note: If it seems I'm harping about a missing skill for the Privateer, it's because I am. Threads about skills and their use are redundant until all classes are up to date with the skills they are supposed/advertised to have. Before you tap the Developers for more coolness in your Skills or Skills at Warp, perhaps catching all up to speed with their missing skills has priority. It does in my canon book.

-P Edited by Pakkrat

Ahh I see, the point is nothing can be fixed because nothing else is fixed.I posted this thread because it was how Jens are supposed to be, not Terrans or Progens. Not asking for anything new here, but since skills have not been brought up to speed because of 'balancing', people tend to think this is how it is meant to be now. For all these many years the Jen skills haven't been up to where they should be. If anyone has a problem with their progen or terran skills than make a suggestion in your own thread, not come to my thread and whine. Perhaps a few more people need to read original storyboard and backstory. But whatever, my head hurts from banging it against this wall.

Well you know the definition of insanity right?....  The repetition of some action that has garnered no desired result, despite all evidence to the contrary of the desired outcome, repeating that action expecting a differing outcome.

So you are saying you are insane? Hello :excl: ...that pain in your head is telling you to stop hitting the wall...with your head!

We are telling you that doing other things while cloaked is a game breaker....that giving Jenquia that ability isn't "bringing them up to speed" skill wise, it is putting them into plaid drive. It is not, despite how you feel, "how Jens are supposed to be". You are indeed  asking for "anything new" by asking for being able to do things other than stay cloaked while cloaked.

And the snide quip about them coming to your thread and "whining" about the other class skills? I thought better of you.

They are making a point, you are asking for something that is over and above anything that was ever in the game before, that if put in now would have drastic results to balance. They point out that before something so drastic even be considered going in, there are other considerations that need addressed, namely missing skills (you know that JE still don't have cumpulsory contemplation skill yet right?). What if  your wishlist was added, then those missing skills after, how would one effect the other?

Before you start a bone fire, it is always advisable to get the surrounding flammables removed, the area outside the bone fires intended confines soaked with water and emergency services if not present at least alerted. Don't add functionality that was never in before until all base line functions are in, truly you will save a lot of potential headaches that way.

You want to crawl before you walk, walk before you run, then run, and possibly contemplate flight, before we go giving jenquia non-existant skills that makes them soar, lets get everyone to the walk stage shall we?

Oh and stop hitting your head on the wall!, no matter your skeletal structures integrity, the wall will always win. Try a jackhammer or explosives, they work much better, we are tool users after all, that's what the opposable thumb is all about!  :)

We are telling you that doing other things while cloaked is a game breaker....that giving Jenquia that ability isn't "bringing them up to speed" skill wise, it is putting them into plaid drive. It is not, despite how you feel, "how Jens are supposed to be". You are indeed  asking for "anything new" by asking for being able to do things other than stay cloaked while cloaked.

And the snide quip about them coming to your thread and "whining" about the other class skills? I thought better of you.

They are making a point, you are asking for something that is over and above anything that was ever in the game before, that if put in now would have drastic results to balance. They point out that before something so drastic even be considered going in, there are other considerations that need addressed, namely missing skills (you know that JE still don't have cumpulsory contemplation skill yet right?). What if  your wishlist was added, then those missing skills after, how would one effect the other?

Before you start a bone fire, it is always advisable to get the surrounding flammables removed, the area outside the bone fires intended confines soaked with water and emergency services if not present at least alerted. Don't add functionality that was never in before until all base line functions are in, truly you will save a lot of potential headaches that way.

Well just couple things.

I wasn't asking for anything new - I never do. I ask for things the way they were in live and yes in live you could fold space while cloaked, of course I don't have a screenshot, it's like taking a picture of an alien. I did try to explain that 'cloak' is a function of the ship systems, not a Jenquai's mind. Cloaking is not a Psionic ability, but that didn't register with the naysayers so meh.

And yah about the snide comment, I never mentioned anything about any other class skills, and let's just say it seems to be the MO of some players to post that this class shouldn't have this or that ability because their pet cat doesn't have it so why should anyone else? I prefer that people stick to the points brought up in the OP, not bring out straw men. That being said, my apologies.

As for extra skills like the JE's Contemplation - that skill and the yet undeveloped JD skill 'Disable' will take some coding to complete. I am not asking for the moon, just the removal of how current code is handled. I do not ever remember "Error: Another Skill is currently active" flashing across my screen back in the day. If I tried to use one skill while another was activated, it would override the current skill and cycle up the new one. 

I shouldn't have to uncloak to cast a PSI shield. In my eyes, THAT is a game breaker. My only wishlist is to make the Jens like they were. It's not a complex exercise to remove the code that limits it. Out of curiousity, how many skills on your Progen give you an  "Error: Another skill is active"?

At least 3 on a PP, and at least 4 that I know of on a PW, I would imagine a PS is 3 if not more, i'll have to check.

PP: if you try and heal while shield inversion is on you get that, if you try and invert while healing that happens, if you try and menace while any other skill else is going on it does that.

PW: same as PP, if inversion is on you can't do any other skill, same with grav link,  enrage is also a single skill at a time thing, so too the shield sap, you can get real dead real fast if you have another skill locked/charging if you try to sap at the same time.

PS: menace would be a single skill at a time thing, so would be repulsor shield, grav link would be a single at a time, and most importantly since you insist that you can do other things while cloak is on (you are miss-remembering btw, you couldn't do that in Old Live (tm), you could charge up compulsory contemplation, but cloak dropped when the skill hit) PS can't do any other thing while their version of cloak is on :Power Down is for sure a single skill at a time thing. If you use a device it breaks the skill, if you try a other skill it tells you another skill is in use. 

On all of that if you try and use another skill while one is on or charging up you get that Error: another skill is in use prompt.

So if jen's get to do everything none offensive from cloak, do PP get to invert and heal at the same time? (that was possible for a very short time...it was awesome for factioning btw), are they going to get to have invert on and then menace a mob while doing so and chase the mob?

Are the PW going to get to hit grav link, and while its charging up, enrage, then hit invert and have them mass agro all at same time? When their shield gets inverted down are they going to have to turn the skill off then hit sap like they do now? Or are they going to be real awesome and get to sap through a inversion without disruption?

Are the PS, going to get to do all that in their skills  the others do and even do everything non-offensive without interrupting power down? I would truly love to be able to hit a refuge/refresh/restore device while under powerdown, or even a warrior heart buff to speed up reactor recovery after getting to hit all their buff devices while in power down mode..of course power down, that implies you shut down things to look like a hulk, if you go powering up devices isn't that contradictory? Of course it would be fair if they let the Jen do so wouldn't it?

Edited by Mattsacre