/unstuck (for terminal lockup)

Have you ever.....

*found yourself in a job terminal that is now unresponsive? :mad:

*put your precious, hard-to-get looted item in the analyze terminal, and press the button, only to get no response, either way, and have to relog, only to find your item is now lost? :(

*press the manufacture button on an item and get no item built? :blink:

*try to dismantle an item, but the terminal locks up, and have to exit the game to get free? :wacko:

Well, Zackman may have found an answer here...  :)

To repeat Zackman's words here:

"I found out that this happens mostly when multiboxing.

I was able to reproduce this by simply disabling certain packets in the server send to my client with the result, the client being immediatly STUCKED in the terminal!

What happens:
The client sends a packet to the server (eg. clicking a job) and then the client is waiting for a response for THIS VERY PACKET.
Server send back the answer, but if client has a packet drop here, the client is stucked.

Unfortunatly the server can not check the client being stucked, since the client is now stopping sending anymore terminal packet at this point.

This means we cannot fix this server-sided....but we can "trick" the client:
I added a new command now called "/unstuck".
Whenever you (player) send this command, the server will send a "Fake terminal packet" to the client and the client becomes immediatly responsive again (just tested it).

This will unstuck you from jobterminal and/or manufacture terminal.

!!It will unstuck you in a way that you are not losing the item in the manufacture terminal anymore!!
WOOTI....

Sorry it took a year...just going through all old bugs and came across this one...."

/Endquote

Thanks Zackman!! :D

YW :)

Just note that it will NOT help if you client dropped the connection to the server already, what could happen in the "worst case scenario" when multiboxing.

The reason is because the server will not get the "unstuck" command from the client which is technically not connected anymore.

:panic:  :w00t:

I have lost so much stuff to terminal sticks and have had to character log so many times it was really frustrating...if this fixs it then there should be a general back slapping party for Zak! THANKS FROM EXERYONE THATS A BUILDER AND LOST STUFF!  WooHOO!

Reminder (as i got a PM):

The command will NOT help if you have LOST the connection to the server due to Multiboxing issues (packets are directed to the wrong Proxy in your local environment).

Pointing that out again (like posted already): 

Just note that it will NOT help if you client dropped the connection to the server already, what could happen in the "worst case scenario" when multiboxing.
The reason is because the server will not get the "unstuck" command from the client which is technically not connected anymore.

Hmm, lost two items to the terminal over the weekend, /unstuck didn't work. - I was still getting chat dialog so hadn't "LOST" connection..

(yes i was multi-clienting)

Heya,

what happens is a bit tricky when multiboxing:

Basically the proxy still GET packets from the server but won't SEND anymore.

You can see this by still getting chat, but you will not be able to send chat anymore - that why you can't send the "/unstuck" command at this point.

Think of a "one leg loss" (the send leg).

I was investigating this bit ago and traced it down to some problems also caused by the very nature of UDP port assigning and some mechanism we are using.

We have to wait for the proxy update, but TB is busy with RL currently.

Just so you know that this is where it becomes problematic when using more than one client on the same machine the same time.

Better is to have the 2nd (and 3rd..etc) client running in "isolated" VMWare machines, so the diff. Proxie's can't "see" each other.

I wonder if it will help assigning 2 IPs in your network card and tie each client to a separate IP.

Any thoughts?

Assigning 2 Public IP's, may be... (by two different external IP provided by your ISP) but definitely not two internal (or LAN IP's)

And even that does not work if you don't have two seperate NIC's...

Edited by SiSL