Perplexed and a bit sad

Question....I have no idea about the Walking Nightmare device because I have not had one of these.

Just a question on if this can work in the code.

If the 20% or whatever it is suppose to be for Warrior classes is the issue but other class can obtain it...is there a way to use something like a case statement where if is is a NON Warrior class it drops the benefit to 12% or whatever is being argued about? IE Case/IF (class=Warrior,20%,12%) (I programmed many eons ago that is my basic showing here...or would this be to mathematically intensive to recalculate every time a weapon is fire let alone five? 

If this could work then it could work with other devices that have similar benefits with different percentages for each class.

If you say too intensive then that is that...just a thought.

And again Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for bringing this game back from the grave. I am a causal gamer and could care less if I cannot reach lvl 150 in a week or two.

I am assuming then also once new content is added and people blow through it in three days and start to complain devs are going to do a fix to adjust levels to go up 10-20 etc then new content then add the panda class etc to keep people happy, or am I creating an image that could not possibly happen? j/k

JustUs

The nerfing of the job terminal suxxed big time.  not like it was a breeze to get 6 satellites anyway with the terminal being camped and getting locked up at the terminal where the only fix was to restart.  If you guys don't like hearing what we the players think well too effing bad.  If the xp was out of wack it should have been readjusted when the game went live.  Doing it now just seems like whats good for the goose is not good for the gander.  I agree with Zap and Gropos 100%

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have to agree with the original poster. I loved  the changes of adding more sectors and more interesting missions (some may call them a headache) but loved them none the less. As I have not played in a long time I can not comment on the current status of the EMU, but I left simply because of many changes that were called balancing but were nothing short of class breaking changes. In live my main was a PW and even when I had multiple 150s in the emu a PW was not among them (PP and a JE were my main alts).

After playing a PW as far as I did it was nowhere near live with all the nerfs that they incurred. Even when I found out that raids had been made activate-able (which I was a high supporter, if not a founder of the idea) I loved that as it eliminated squabbles between guilds based on the "we get it today and you get it next spawn" issues which also eliminated a superiority complex large guilds seemed to have over smaller guilds.

Such as when my smaller guild started beating the controller every spawn after being told by the larger guilds "you are too small and do not stand a chance against it". We tried being nice and asking to get a chance at it and being added to the rotation but were denied or ignored, so if we wanted in there was no other way than to prove ourselves. Tbh it was out of spite we did so and also to prove ourselves to the big 3 that even with smaller numbers, we were skilled enough to do it.

All games have a balance but not at the level I felt here. Live had alot of issues that needed addressing but making a different game that looks the same is alienating many of us old school folks who loved live even with the flaws it had. 

Just as in the discussion on activated raids Kyp said "be careful what you wish, as you may get a per toon restriction on doing the raid". Instead of that it seems (from what I have read) that the easy route was done of making the drops uber rare for the item. I had 0 issue with per toon timers, but making the items uber rare was not even in the discussion, which is why I agreed as most modern mmos have per toon timers that you can even participate in a raid (I know that is not possible with ENB as it is older) but it should be possible to make looting restrictions per character based on a timer if you had looted a mob previously.

Edited by shadowxsx
  • Upvote 1

My .02, the EMU has a very difficult situation to deal with, imo beginning with overly entitled players. Huge accommodations were made for the lack of content and lack of a playerbase to keep people playing in the stress tests. However, those entitlements have been in place so long that they are now considered the norm. 

This means that every change that impinges on those ST-induced entitlements causes a huge uproar in people who think that something is being taken away from them. Well, it's true. Something that was put in to plug a huge hole in gameplay is being taken away and replaced with the normal mechanic. 

But that's like having someone give you 20,000 dollars every year for 5 years while you get a business started and then complaining when they tell you the 5 years is up and there won't be any more free money. Instead, your job will have to pay your way from now on. 

Yes, it's a change, but its one you knew was coming and were supposed to be prepared for, and it returns you to a normal status instead of the privileged one you've had all this time. 

If I have any complaints about the development side, it would only be that when an entitlement is taken away, a reward-based method of filling the gap should be put in its place. The entitlement was there for a reason, it needs to be replaced with something players can earn, not just removed for technical balance. If you fail to do that, then the screaming you hear actually has justification, and you shouldn't be dismissing it out of hand.

• Upvote 1

I think think the EMU is slowly committing suicide. It is not living up to the "spirit" of  live. Live had many flaws, but us that were hardcore loved it none the less (the only reason I quit was because of sunset). The total of ignoring live will lead to the downfall eventually of this EMU project.

Many things were expressed in the emu such as JD's wanting L9 shields, those were ignored as Live never had it or intended it.

There has been too much change in my book to call this EnB.

Much of the change (when I left in Jan) I liked, but the minor changes outweighed the good changes biased  towards modern games. EnB was never intended to be compatible to modern MMO games, it was one of the first 3d MMO games and making it equal to WoW character selection was never even in the DEV's mind as WoW did not exist.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Question....I have no idea about the Walking Nightmare device because I have not had one of these.

Just a question on if this can work in the code.

If the 20% or whatever it is suppose to be for Warrior classes is the issue but other class can obtain it...is there a way to use something like a case statement where if is is a NON Warrior class it drops the benefit to 12% or whatever is being argued about? IE Case/IF (class=Warrior,20%,12%) (I programmed many eons ago that is my basic showing here...or would this be to mathematically intensive to recalculate every time a weapon is fire let alone five? 

If this could work then it could work with other devices that have similar benefits with different percentages for each class.

If you say too intensive then that is that...just a thought.

And again Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for bringing this game back from the grave. I am a causal gamer and could care less if I cannot reach lvl 150 in a week or two.

I am assuming then also once new content is added and people blow through it in three days and start to complain devs are going to do a fix to adjust levels to go up 10-20 etc then new content then add the panda class etc to keep people happy, or am I creating an image that could not possibly happen? j/k

JustUs

With their responses it was a bending upward curve of too much dps and they had to lower it. Consider:

A warrior has several items that can add turbo, much of it stackable, the old CVE was warrior only and added 12%, through missions they made it so warrior could get that item to 20% but it made the item nontradable. So add that 20% to all the other stackable turbo and you are getting near 100% turbo, that's a net 2x more dmg than a base line warrior should achieve.

So a mob has say 200k shield and 100k hull, the warrior used to need a healer along, or a explorer to debuff the mob to tackle it, now with that 2x dps output he doesn't need the support, that in itself isn't a true game breaker, he worked hard to earn all that gear to do that.

But by the same token, there are very few turbo things explorers/traders can achieve, their dps vs. mobs fall ever shorter compaired to a warriors, a healer might stick it out since they can heal themselves and just kill the mob much slower than the warrior, but what of the poor explorer? They have to stop and heal and while they do the mob does, at some point the tipping point is met and the explorer can never do enough dmg to a mob to out recover it so the explorer can kill it, them having to retool the mobs to meet the new warrior dps would eventually make it so other classes could never get to some content, for the simple matter that they never close the dps gap via turbo.

So what to do? The warrior dps output with turbo is a ever widing gap, enter the Waking Nightmare device. How about traders/explorers be able to achieve at least 1 device that they too can have some turbo, forstall that gap... Good idea, new problem. 12% turbo for warrior on top off all the stack is ok dps vs mob solo, don't give turbo to other classes they don't have enough dps to bridge the widening gap solo, but 20% dps for warrior AND 20%,or 12% for other classes is 40% or 32%  net gain in dps  w/ warrior/other mix and even worse with full group, the mob is now underpowered! retool the mob? retool ALL the mobs? or tone down the warrior/others a tad? Give the warrior 20% but others 12%? You just defeated the intent of bridging the gap! They just got another 8% more added to the gap lol.

Enter the solution, don't retool each and every mob. The work for that is prohibitive. Whats more reasonable? Tone down the achievable turbo for a warrior a smidge while preserving the achievable turbo to other classes is what they decided. Yes the warriors that had that 20% for a bit will be upset that they are back down to 12%, especially since they traded a 12% item that was tradable for one that isn't. What can be do to salve their outrage I don't know, maybe a minor side buff could be added to enhance a bit like thrust buff, or equipment time etc. But it still preserves the intent to allow some access to other classes to a bit of turbo loving and forstall the widening DPS canyon.

It looks like it came down to a choice, have the warriors pissed some from a slight nerf, all the players pissed from a complete device pull, or a complete retooling of all mob dynamics and hit points. The last choice was to much heavy lifting to even consider, the second choice was unpalatable at best and ignored the attempt at fixing a ongoing problem, the first seemed the least invasive, looks like they went with choice number 1.

• Upvote 1

The mission was a lot of work for an awesome reward.

From what I understand, most of the upset has been caused by the changing of the item after it was introduced to the live server.

The best way to stop the rage and upset is to prevent it. IE: carefully review the mission and reward before patching it to live. Had the item been warrior restricted at the onset, there would have been none of the drama that resulted of changing it afterwards. I never got around to doing the mission or getting the item so I have no stake or bias one way or the other. It just seems a little more planning/testing/reviewing would be in order for future things of this nature.

I may still get off my slacker arse and get one someday even after the nerfage. ;)

• Upvote 1

The mission was a lot of work for an awesome reward.

From what I understand, most of the upset has been caused by the changing of the item after it was introduced to the live server.

The best way to stop the rage and upset is to prevent it. IE: carefully review the mission and reward before patching it to live. Had the item been warrior restricted at the onset, there would have been none of the drama that resulted of changing it afterwards. I never got around to doing the mission or getting the item so I have no stake or bias one way or the other. It just seems a little more planning/testing/reviewing would be in order for future things of this nature.

I may still get off my slacker arse and get one someday even after the nerfage. ;)

Good luck, you need a CVE device from voltoi boss to do it, and with the timer, camping and randomness of drop, it's an impossible acquire. I camped the boss spot for 4 days straight for 8 hr at a time and never even saw the boss spawn, let alone get to kill it, or even get the drop, and since I had fellow campers...I'm sure if it HAD spawned I would have had competition. That's the problem with lots of the content, those in the know (I wonder how they know without the rest of the player base getting a heads up *hint: inside info*) , get on top of something good and acquire the goods before it gets camped/nerfed/eliminated then complete the requirements and enjoy the rewards.

Later, when everyone else finds out about this formerly inside info content and tries to go for the great stuff, it's then camped/nerfed/eliminated and they don't get to enjoy the other stuff, they get left out and bitter. In the case of a nerfage/elimination the ones that had that inside track in the first place raise holy hell about it not being fair they got nerfed, (of course they never take into account they actually got to enjoy it, for whatever time they did, because they had an inside track, they want it screw everybody else!)

If you think I'm being overly pessimistic, kindly go back and refresh your memories over the myriad of past nerfages, you will find that much was nerfbatted over things being overpowered or to much of a good thing,  and who has that stuff taken..was it joeblow the average player? or marynoob the just started? No, it UberChuck the inside man.

I'm going to agree with Mattsacre on this.

From what I understand, and I've been reading this thread a fair bit to make sure I'm not misrepresenting anything, the Device people are complaining about was added by the EMU Devs and was never actually intended to exist in Old Live.

I get that people are upset for having spent the time to get the item, trading away something you could have given to another class that may have been able to use it and ended up actually getting stuck with something you can't even give away if you wanted to, all for the same Turbo buff (though I think the CVE has an extra buff of some sort on it if I recall right from other posts).

Okay, so I get that part.

Now, what I don't get is how people seem to think that items like this can be easily tested on a super small population test server before being rolled out into live. You just do NOT have the right volume of metrics to measure on that scale. Funny, if you think about it, how many major MMO's often release something new and exciting, and then two or three patches later nerf it because its just too much SOMETHING. EMU is not immune to this, it has a lot to do with the scale of the user base on testing server as well as how it actually functions when used all the time by what seems to be a rather large volume of players actually.

I think its normal for people to get upset when something is nerfed, but its usually only the people who got it first and desire the elitist status (and no, I don't blame you for that we all want bragging rights believe me I know). As anyone can see in my Sigs, I am nowhere near the levels to get a CVE and then run these missions to get the Waking Nightmare. So you know what? Since I never had the 20% Nightmare, I actually won't complain. Why? Because I don't care what it WAS like, I care what it IS like now and the fact I can use it on any of my Toons (should I wish to go for it more than once), not just a select few.

Good luck, you need a CVE device from voltoi boss to do it, and with the timer, camping and randomness of drop, it's an impossible acquire. I camped the boss spot for 4 days straight for 8 hr at a time and never even saw the boss spawn, let alone get to kill it, or even get the drop, and since I had fellow campers...I'm sure if it HAD spawned I would have had competition. That's the problem with lots of the content, those in the know (I wonder how they know without the rest of the player base getting a heads up *hint: inside info*) , get on top of something good and acquire the goods before it gets camped/nerfed/eliminated then complete the requirements and enjoy the rewards.

Later, when everyone else finds out about this formerly inside info content and tries to go for the great stuff, it's then camped/nerfed/eliminated and they don't get to enjoy the other stuff, they get left out and bitter. In the case of a nerfage/elimination the ones that had that inside track in the first place raise holy hell about it not being fair they got nerfed, (of course they never take into account they actually got to enjoy it, for whatever time they did, because they had an inside track, they want it screw everybody else!)

If you think I'm being overly pessimistic, kindly go back and refresh your memories over the myriad of past nerfages, you will find that much was nerfbatted over things being overpowered or to much of a good thing,  and who has that stuff taken..was it joeblow the average player? or marynoob the just started? No, it UberChuck the inside man.

Matt, I agree.

There are some misconceptions on the 'inside track' thing though. I won't debate that there may have been one for some folks, but I will say that this was never the case with our guild. We practiced and developed the teamwork and worked to aquire these trinkets. So, not everyone that gets these items has any inside info on how or where. I suspect most others have done the same.

As to the nerfage, st4/beta was full of them. It has to be done to balance things out. As much as I hated some of the nerfs to skills and items, I do understand why.  Then along comes 'live' and I figured we would be done with nerfages, but again there they were. Grrr lol

I am all for a balanced game thats as close to the original as possible in gameplay because thats what we all fell in love with, and the addition of missions and items etc is a cool thing. New stuff is always good. My only wish is for a little more planning before patching it to live. It hurts to be given a new toy and have it snatched away (nerfed).

I hope the Devs don't lose heart and give up, because they do some really cool stuff aside from making this game playable again. Kudos to them for their efforts! :)

Actually I know for a fact there were some "inside track" things in previous ST. There were deliberate exploits worked in that some were privy to, that the player base as a whole weren't, I'm quite confident that hasn't stopped in "live".

Weather this is an exploit of not (not really) it's a perception problem at a minimum. When content is dependant on timed spawning mobs it will always create a needless bottleneck and choke point to further content progression. Those that are "in the know" will go grab the content/materials before there is a glut of others attempting to do it once it becomes "common knowledge". Those that come ofter will naturally be frustrated in their attempts and be embittered.

Here is a personal example:
In Old Live (tm) the group combat xp was early on HIGHLY exploitable, there were whole guilds set up for the simple fact of power leveling others, there were people that actually paid RL currency to have these guilds power level them in game. They had people to 150 within a 8 days. They "exploited" a game dynamic that wasn't against TOS, they were "in the know", they had "the inside track". We (the beta team) warned the Devs this was going to happen, and they went with it live anyway. Now I, a "inside tracker" could have exploited that for myself, I didn't. I didn't group with anyone higher than my CL for well over a month and didn't join any guild for 2.4 months.

They adjusted combat experience (went a little heavy handed at first and had to retweak it) and there was a huge outcry. Who were the largest two groups that complained? 1. The PLing guilds, their whole meaning of existence now were negated (no tears from me on that) 2. The single, non-guilded players, they didn't even get to "experience" that xp boost others did and were forever considered in a "catch-up" mode for the rest of the life of the game. Those I actually had some sympathy for.

Every time something good came along content wise, I and others were time after time having it nerfed from under our feet, it was HIGHLY aggravating, lets have another example, Easter egg event: "in the know" folks knew what the rewards were going to be ahead of time and got on the content the moment it started, they were killing stuff left and right for eggs to get the goodies, they being already advantaged from previous gears gains etc. had a leg up on killing things us "lesser" players couldn't and got a much better crop of eggs and rewards, widening the gap between us and "them". Since easter event had a time frame, we never could get the goodies they got in that time frame. Because of the outcry over it being combat centric (you had to kill to get the eggs) the miners got screwed on that one, next easter they added eggs in ores etc. But by then, the warriors had all the goodies from easter last yr. and had moved on to ever better content and rewards, old Easter hunt was effectively a "ghost town" event.

Good points Matt.   When making content, one must not forget that some of us are traders and explorers.  Missions should have a tendency, over time, to be more profession specific, rather than more combat orientated.  The combat orientated missions shouldn't go away, but they should mostly be for warriors, while explorers have various types of mining projects, not sure how best to be fair to the traders on this issue, but they should get something.

Well considering Traders trade, why not look into setting up Trader specific missions that require they load up on goodies, take them to location X, deliver them, then take another shipment to location Z, and then return to their starting point to hand in. All the while, these locations would probably have SOME combat involved, like pirates wanting the wares or rival corporations wanting to steal the technology etc etc. In doing so, it keeps these missions from being a walk in the park (ideally, but we know some people can over-level and sneeze at stuff like this and win).

Rewards? Probably high volumes of Trade XP and Cash, perhaps gear as well.

All this being said, and I don't even play my one Trader class....

Poor Xitan, my Progen Privateer.

As I've said before, if anyone has information on exploits, cheating, or unwholesome relationship with any Dev please contact me immediately.  I will make sure it is addressed.  As far as holiday events, I could see how 'old hands' already having done the missions previously will essentially have advance knowledge of what to do unless changes are made every year.  I imagine certain elements will remain the same, such as a possible reward being a snowball launcher etc, and holiday specific items being desired (chocolate/eggs).

Good points Matt.   When making content, one must not forget that some of us are traders and explorers.  Missions should have a tendency, over time, to be more profession specific, rather than more combat orientated.  The combat orientated missions shouldn't go away, but they should mostly be for warriors, while explorers have various types of mining projects, not sure how best to be fair to the traders on this issue, but they should get something.

One of the things I recently instructed to the content team when creating missions is that they need to step OUTSIDE their personal comfort zone and consider each of the four major playstyles and create missions adapting to each of them.

• Upvote 3

The old healing the shear and mars construction projects were good examples of non combat content and alternative ways to get gear.

+1

Not to mention a additional positive resulted for all the other non-miner classes! Since the miners had to do some hard core mining to provide the sacks of ores the projects needed, they incidentally cleared fields and mined other ores as well, this created a glut in non-project needed ores, namely AMMO ORES. Since supply and demand forces went into effect... there was more supply, the price went down for ammo ores, the traders could get the ores cheaper.. they could build the comps cheaper and more plentiful, now the traders and warriors had a better supply of ammo comps and better resultant dps helped them out in their content pushs! :)

• Upvote 1

It amazes me that one "Bonus mission", and one "Bonus Item" I designed have caused this much heartache.

Perhaps it was good for me to retire.

My thought process was the CVE would remain difficult to loot, there-by ultimately making the Waking Nightmare tough to aquire.

Giving all classes 20% Turbo was acceptable in my mind, due to how difficult it would be to complete the 12+ stage Content.  The fact that the mob was a Raid trigger was to add to the difficulty in aquiring the item. However, much of the mission, loot, mobs, etc, were "tweaked" without my knowledge, therefore making the CVE simple to get, the Mission quick and easy to accomplish. This was not what I intended.

I was not without blame either. I took a 3-4 month vacation from the project, forcing others to "take control" of the Content I had worked so long on.

You may or may not know this, but all the Raid Revamps were my pet Projects: All new mobs, new Items, new Raid progressions, etc.

These were tested by GM/BETA/DEV groups on DEV server prior to being released.

However, testing with 2 groups doesnt compare to a Live play environment. After extensive testing, we deemed them ready for release.

Ultimately, I want to Project to succeed. I hope that the Community can move past this hiccup, and see this to completion. It seems much of my Content has been very polarizing, and I hope you won't hold the rest of the Staff to blame for this.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

One of the things I recently instructed to the content team when creating missions is that they need to step OUTSIDE their personal comfort zone and consider each of the four major playstyles and create missions adapting to each of them.

Excellent thinking Kyp... Hope it is actually implemented.....

Most modern games level is not an issue, look at Borderlands 2. If you discover a mission that is well below your level you can still do it, even if it is considered "trivial". Doing said mission is only worth the mission rewards per the level it was intended, there is no scaling. Such as a mission that you get a good gun for the level of the mission, yet if you are max level you will still only get a level 19 gun and rewards, even if you are max level 61.

Edited by shadowxsx

It amazes me that one "Bonus mission", and one "Bonus Item" I designed have caused this much heartache.

My thought process was the CVE would remain difficult to loot, there-by ultimately making the Waking Nightmare tough to aquire.

Giving all classes 20% Turbo was acceptable in my mind, due to how difficult it would be to complete the 12+ stage Content.  The fact that the mob was a Raid trigger was to add to the difficulty in aquiring the item. However, much of the mission, loot, mobs, etc, were "tweaked" without my knowledge, therefore making the CVE simple to get, the Mission quick and easy to accomplish. This was not what I intended.

I was not without blame either. I took a 3-4 month vacation from the project, forcing others to "take control" of the Content I had worked so long on.

You may or may not know this, but all the Raid Revamps were my pet Projects: All new mobs, new Items, new Raid progressions, etc.

However, testing with 2 groups doesnt compare to a Live play environment. After extensive testing, we deemed them ready for release.

Ultimately, I want to Project to succeed. I hope that the Community can move past this hiccup, and see this to completion. It seems much of my Content has been very polarizing, and I hope you won't hold the rest of the Staff to blame for this.

Don't worry Darkk, the chokepoint of the spawn timer on the mob for the CVE makes it a near impossible to acquire. Even for the lucky few that even get the damn thing to spawn and even get luckier to actually get it dropped is a even smaller player pool. That alone assures its rarity for the later 12 steps. But if you really meant to tie it to a raid trigger spawn, that was a BAD mission structure. That would have made it hyper rare due to the 3 guilds having that mob 24/7 camped. In fact that would have really meant only a 3guilder could actually acquire it incidental to doing the raid...really, really bad planning :)

Like has been illustrated in other posts, the only ones that have been able to acquire it in reality were the "in the knows", I'm guessing its those GM/BETA/DEV you alluded to that had the inside track on that, since they tested stuff first, then after them it was their circle of friends that were tipped off about the content. Once it became general knowledge about CVE can get you a waking nightmare for other toons, other than warriors to get turbo, the result was totally predictable, not just warriors camp it now, every freakn other class does as well, making it at a minimum 6x more camped, just like the material for the SSR 7-9, They are camped 24/7.

But don't feel bad Darkk, we do miss you btw!  And many of us truly  look forward to experiencing your content (if we can even get to it due to choke points and 3guild ownerships). we want this project to succeed, in fact roaringly so! :) Just hope that a bit of order can be factored in with some more activates for those raids, so that the rest of us not in the 3guilds can do the fantastic stuff, at least before so many leave that a new sunset ensues :(.

So is your post a indicator of return? Or just a benevolent 2 bits input?

Edited by Mattsacre

Hey Darkk glad to see you back. at least in here. This was not your fault.  could say it's everyone's fault at least a little.  Those who went back and changed what you setup.  Those who whined to get them to do it. and so on.  Time to put it behind us and move on.

It ain't your fault, it ain't the mission, and it ain't how easy or hard it is to do the mission (depending on you point of view).

It is taking something back that has people pissed, IMHO.

My Traders and Explorers love and use the WN, my Warriors have one less vault space, cause that is where it sits, since the CVE has a positive buff, no negative buffs and installs faster, and the WN no longer stacks, turbo-wise.  If the WN had been 'balanced' to 11% or 13%, we all would still be using it, since it still stacks.

It is what it is *shrug* and I play the game as it is handed to me.  I am glad the game is here, I am thankful for all the hard work put into it, no if's, and's or but's.

Many Thanks :)