Emulator Kulture

Hi. I would like to take a moment to comment on the culture of this emulator project and its player base. As it stands we, as a community, are stuck in an interesting rut. The same rut we were in back in 2009. What is that rut? 'Make it like live!' 'No! Live had conceptual problems! Fix them! So it better!'

Any attempt at compromise makes both sides unhappy as it is neither a fixed game nor the game we loved. Hence, great animosity builds between player and developer, between have and have not.

How should this be addressed? Well, one productive way is to take action. But if interest in my wiki and the lack of data on the 61cygni site are any yardstick to go off of, that is a real problem for the community.

See, many people enjoy playing games. Few people like creating them. Why? Because people like being accepted as a sociological trait, and when you create content someone *always* thinks it could have been done better, hates it, etc. content creators are powered by a love of believing others are having fun because of their work, rather than a desire for acceptance.

Personally, I like fun. I wrote the code for recharge sheiks, shield inversion, combat trance, and a few others back in the 2009ish timeframe because the emulator was simply not fun to play without them, and progen warriors *need* combat trance. A lot. It's like a JD without combat cloak.

So, what can you do, the player who isn't having fun? You can create content good enough quality (it isn't that hard) for the community to consume and either become a device yourself, or submit your idea for a dev to pickup and implement. Currently there are tons of concepts, but not a lot of fully fleshed out concepts where the coding changes, dialogue, nabs, etc are done by the person with the idea. This is a community project, be a part of the community and contribute.

If you can't make content, but find it very annoying to locate content when you want it, add where you found that content to the wiki (http://net-7.org/wiki/) so others can find it and enjoy it. It's a lot more fun to try out all the content when you know where to go look for it.

Never feel powerless. Your power is in your hands on this project. True you can't login to the sector editor and remove the manes from your favorite mining spot.

What you can offer to put in ore fields that are meant to be worked by groups of players, where mobs overwhelm you of you don't mine fast enough, and mobs must die at a certain rate to keep asteroids spawning. Leading to a feverish race to mine, trade excess to trader characters for holding, and kill. Of course, you will also be expected to debug and balance such a thing.

So you see, in the end, all you have to do to fix the problems in this emulator is do something constructive about them. Don't like the content, offer TO DO THE WORK to make new content you will enjoy.

Less QQ, more do-do

*note: I did not clear this post with any of the other devs. I have the word dev in my name because of the wiki I wanted and contribute to. Do not take my thoughts as the thoughts of the dev team, but rather as my own thoughts, honed by being in Dreddit, TEST alliance in eve, and therefore a member of the HBC. all told, a culture of about 15000 Internet spaceship nerds.

Good post! :)

If I had the time and skills I would volunteer, sadly I have very little free time, and even less developer skills. Which, by the way is the main reason I don't gripe about stuff that happens.

Kudo's to all you Devs who spend your time working on the game we all love.

DEVS (Kenu), I am always here. I can make/design items, write content (Missions).

Free time I have, the yearning to learn I got. (Until the fish start biting) :)

I have a lot scratched on paper.

Patiently waiting for the Reactor Optimization Buff code for items. 

There are quite a few things in this iteration of the game that never existed in original live.  The most glaringly obvious one being the Ghost of Blackbeard raid and associated missions.  So it is in fact both creation and re-creation.

There are quite a few things in this iteration of the game that never existed in original live.  The most glaringly obvious one being the Ghost of Blackbeard raid and associated missions.  So it is in fact both creation and re-creation.

Also of note are the numerous sectors that were not in original live. :)

Another patch day, another round of complaining. I'd just like to remind everyone, if you don't like the status quo, offer to help change it. :) And by change I mean actually do work, not just write words on the forums. Code things, make art, learn to use a mission/mob/sector editor, etc.

• Upvote 1

Just read the patch notes..

besides the touchy subject of turbo whats there to complain about?

So far I've seen comments against turbo and EXP on jobs being lowered and giving more credits instead. Mining remains a constant complaint, as does the complexity of many quests.

Well imo it was far to easy to level with jobs. 

I was doing XT -> tarsis last night. 72,000 XP per trip.. that's a lot of XP for 6-7 mins of play time..

I'm sure mining will get fixed in due time. Patience and cool heads are needed :)

Had a rather vigorous debate tonight in Market/OOC with several players.  What I think people need to realize is basing things off of our beta in relation to overall balance is a flawed ideaology.  Beta was about as imbalanced as you can get.

Job terms were changed to closer reflect original live, and also to tone down heavily the sheer amount of xp they give.  Alas, you cant please everyone and even now some are still mad about it, but the change is here to stay.

You can still grind jobs for leveling, it will just take twice as long as it did before.  And, as an added bonus, if you choose to do them you will be quite a bit richer when youre done.  That 6000 credits does add up.

Stanig: does Nego 7 increase the payout as the skill description implies?

I'll be able to afford to buy missiles now  - WOOT!

Edit:

<-- 100 posts!11!! :)

I have no idea, someone test it for me?  If not, if the skill description says it should maybe we can ask Zack about adding that on.

Yes it does...

You get 19% more credits from Job description with Negotiate 7...
Edited by SiSL

Another patch day, another round of complaining. I'd just like to remind everyone, if you don't like the status quo, offer to help change it. :) And by change I mean actually do work, not just write words on the forums. Code things, make art, learn to use a mission/mob/sector editor, etc.

Well I was try to ask in game what will be nerfed next. Only response I got from developer they threatened me with personal nerf of my warp speed (without smiles).

I think best way for players (if they want stay in game without problem from developer side) is SHUT UP and dont comment anything.

So this is probably my last post about anythink what can "angry" developers.

Hope all they are happy now nobody try to touch 'their' toy. :(

Well I was try to ask in game what will be nerfed next. Only response I got from developer they threatened me with personal nerf of my warp speed (without smiles).

I think best way for players (if they want stay in game without problem from developer side) is SHUT UP and dont comment anything.

So this is probably my last post about anythink what can "angry" developers.

Hope all they are happy now nobody try to touch 'their' toy. :(

Yea. It takes a while for technical people (most of the development team, if not all) to learn to see the constructive idea in the ball of whining. It's like...are you married by chance? What if you got home remodeling the kitchen for your wife and she complained incessently about how the granite countertop leaked Radon and was going to kill everyone and cause deformations and birth defects in your children. All your hard work would feel wasted, would it not?

But the skill that takes a while to hear is that the complaint is about a gas leaking from a rock. Simple solution: Seal the rock. Another simple solution, find a friend who needs a new kitchen, sell them your pre-built stuff, and do it again with marble. Or maybe install a vacuum hood over the granite to suck the radon outside before it can migrate anywhere. All of these are ideas, just like the playerbase gives after a nerf.

So then you replace the countertops with marble and your wife complains about how expensive it was. lol. Can't win. But now the counter is done, and she can enjoy her new kitchen. This analogy to a wife is very much how it feels to be a dev after a patch day. It really feels like you can't please anyone. That is why I don't tell anyone to shut up. I tell them to start helping. If you think 4-5 devs are ruining the game, offer to join the dev team. When its those 4-5 devs vs you and 20 others, you will win by simple numbers. Of course, it is also possible to sit back and realize that maybe you are the 1%, and you are alone in your opinion.

Understand I am not talking down to you. I am commenting on the issue of whining as a whole from everyone, and explaining why I issue 'calls to action' in the face of unhappy players. It really is the best solution. Thanks for donating btw.