Talking about rl and war ect in new player channel..

injey

IF someone regards anyone else in EnB as "dregs" or "lowest common denominator", then they don't understand the nature of EnB, imo.

Tyran - some people would turn on the toilet channel expressly to go in and say they don't like it %) heh

But seriously, how can anyone worry so much about chat in EnB? You can't even read the text against most of the sector backgrounds anyways. Other than keeping out swear words for the kids, it just doesn't warrant any strict GM or player policing. Chats need a critical mass of "watchers" to generate enough of the few "talkers" to have a variety of ideas and make things interesting. At this point, with ~200 on or less, I suggest that only happens in New Players, not OOC or General.

Worry less, test more :)

Yes. 'nuff said.

I'd prefer EnB to be a more harmonious community, but lets face it, people running round he galaxy shooting things are not likely to be the most liberal. I'd prefer the hotheads, ranters, bigots, racists, griefers and smuts to go elsewhere, but being what they are, they probably wont. No-one minds a bit of banter, but the red rag is politics, war, religion - best left out of New Players and taken to OOC. When they wont shut up its a pity a couple of hundred people have to put up with a handful of intolerant people spouting their agenda.

So I have a few options. Ask the worst offenders to take it elsewhere, turn off the channel, ignore them, or block them. If its really bad then there are the TOC and the GMs. No point complaining in the forum (like we are doing).

Like most people (?) I'm more likely to help people who are helpful and use 'New Players' for its proper purpose, and less likely to help those whose main goal in life seems to be rant, bully, radicalize and generally be a toe-rag.

No no no no no... We're not going down tuis road, lol. I'm going to close this before people start arguing politics, etc.

Here's the thing: if people are discussing things you'd rather not have to see in new players, kindly ask them to take it to OOC. Most people should comply if you ask nicely. The only reason these things get started in new players is be ause that and market are the only two channels anyone has on. If they don't move their conversation over and become harrassing, then report them, along with a log of the chat. If they're interfering with other players' ability to enjoy the game, the staff will look into the issue.

Also, I just read Tyran's remark more fully, and I'm going to censor it, at least temporarily, because it contains some pretty offensive comments.

Edited by C Del