Talking about rl and war ect in new player channel..

injey

you know you can turn channels off... and I dont mean perma off... if there is a ocnversation goin on that you dont like just click it off for a bit and put it back on later... this is not a RP server... I mean so long as they were not flagrantly cursing...

• Downvote 1

you know you can turn channels off... and I dont mean perma off... if there is a ocnversation goin on that you dont like just click it off for a bit and put it back on later... this is not a RP server... I mean so long as they were not flagrantly cursing...

And another thought is to suggest that if there's a convo going on that's truly out of context to . . . wait for it . . . take it to the OOC channel. Sometimes, I know it's hard to believe, people will respond to polite requests like "Hey guys, not to be a jerk, but I come here to get away from that stuff so would it be possible for you to take it to OOC?"

For the record I'm not too keen on hearing talks about Religion, Politics, War, etc and that's usually my response. If the reply isn't what I want to hear then I'll usually just click the channel off for a while - these things rarely become permanent.

I turn noob channel off immediately after creating a new toon just because the dregs that reside there.

I'm not sure how many have noticed but there is a message that accompanies where the log-ins, loot message go that says restrict the new player channel for helping new players. General in game chatting take to general, anything not related to the game goes to OOC. Market should be WTB or WTS or even WTT or heaven forbid Giving away such-n-such messages.

Do I always follow, no but I do my best to monitor myself.

I try to leave new player channel on so i can answer questions, though after answering the same questions over and over again every fifteen minutes it gets annoying so i shut it off for a while. i also shut off channels when I see people swearing and generally arguing like 12 year olds, then turn them back on again later...

Yes, there is an OOC channel, and it "should" be for such things, but, people enjoy talking, and if the convo happens in another channel it really doesnt bother me, were all here to have fun after all.. if i don't like the convo i shut it off.. no big deal... if you take a step back.. and put into perspective what it is your getting mad about.. you may realize that it isnt worth getting mad, or even slightly upset about. relax, and enjoy.

Different servers from live seemed to have had differing levels of acceptance for OOC chat.

For the life of me, I can't remember what server I played on - but there, the Market Channel was strictly for WTS/WTB always followed by a /pst ... even longer discussions about where to meet or what parts to bring were quickly frowned upon.

The OOC and newbie channels were free-for-alls though, lol.

strange, galileo talked on market channel all the time just because.

I don't mean to be rude, but what exactly do you think is going to sort this issue out? If you want them to stop, it's best you tell the people in game, not post on the forums since not everyone visits the forums. Posting topics like these makes people lose respect for this community and it's easy to blow issues like these out of proportion. There's not anything us DEVs can do to solve this problem either. It's a community issue and we will only step in if it gets out of control.

I agree that these kinds of discussions should only be in group chat or ooc chat, but I don't think posting a topic like this is the best way to handle it.

• Upvote 1

i tend to agree with kenu here, you may have seen some of the ToS rules or other guidlines mentioned in passing here, then those go to GM's that may or may not enforece them, some are lax, others are zealots, so you have all kinds of things become terrible and bannable by a couple crazies. just this last week there was a fella that used the name Turdferguson that was forced to change his name (this as many of us know is a classic SNL reference), i've had friends threatend and harassed for using the word bastard once... these nazi enforcement tactics are not appropriate and there is no reason to give the nuts another excuse to exercise them.

don't get me wrong, i am disgusted on a daily basis by vulgar sexual reference, chronic drug inuendo, and totally incensitive violent depictions that apear in open chat channels. but i don't feel that making more rules will fix this. gental polite nudges in the form of private tells wil often cause people to mind their behavior a little better and we do have the ignore function now for those that refuse to be reasonable.

• Upvote 1

TurdFurgerson is just childish and I pointed it out. I did not know that a GM has seen and forced the change. Yes it may have been part of SNL, but it caters to the lowest common denominator of humor which most of the time is sexual innuendos and toilet humor.

TurdFurgerson is just childish and I pointed it out. I did not know that a GM has seen and forced the change. Yes it may have been part of SNL, but it caters to the lowest common denominator of humor which most of the time is sexual innuendos and toilet humor.

so do you just occasionally read chat and happen to harp on one thing you find offensive or just not log in much? the vast majority of the people i've run into on the server are childish/lowest common denominator/toilet humor kind of people, there is alot of lack of sophistication here, that is most people everywhere for future reference. the primary reason that i too like to avoid these topics is that i actually have a degree in political philosophy and have spent time analizing international relations and i've not yet heard anyone anywhere in public make any thoughtfull or nuanced commentary about any of it. so what do i do to avoid it? i don't bring it up myself and i turn off the damn channel when it annoys me.

• Upvote 1

so do you just occasionally read chat and happen to harp on one thing you find offensive or just not log in much? the vast majority of the people i've run into on the server are childish/lowest common denominator/toilet humor kind of people, there is alot of lack of sophistication here, that is most people everywhere for future reference. the primary reason that i too like to avoid these topics is that i actually have a degree in political philosophy and have spent time analizing international relations and i've not yet heard anyone anywhere in public make any thoughtfull or nuanced commentary about any of it. so what do i do to avoid it? i don't bring it up myself and i turn off the damn channel when it annoys me.

As I stated before the first thing I do is turn off new Player chat. I leave on General, market and guild chats. Then I don't have these problems.

• 1 month later...

I agree that all countries should pull out of Afghanistan, build a chronosphere and bring back some of the Wehrmacht to quickly resolve the issue.

Also, since some people mentioned it and I, like many others are amused and feel they can expand on the art of it...please instate a toilet/sexual humor channel preferably for people like me with a physical age well above 18 but a mental age somewhat below it. It would cater our needs and it would keep all you mature players with families and all that maturity etc that we understand nothing about out of harm's way as they could simply turn off the channel :P

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Yeah. We get a fine mix of people from the hard left and far right, and most of us in the squishy middle.

Guess that old Emily Post dictum about avoiding discussions about religion and politics is based upon some shred of common sense after all. :)

Uggh, really you know you can change the size of chat so you do not see all the chat that is going on?

I don't get involved in most chats because I do not see them BECAUSE I am too BUSY playing the game. Geesh. If that is what you are complaining about then shrink the chat window and don't worry about it till you have a question?

Like others I try to leave chat open so when I do notice it, if there is a question and I know the answer I can respond to be helpful.

Back in the old days of live though, I was known to push some peoples buttons, just because I could. Yes Galileo was a very fun server to be on, and I remember many Off Topic chats that you could believe EVERYONE on the realm was into, not just a few people.

Sorry, all I'm hearing from OP is "Whaaa people are talking about the big scary world outside! Please make them go away!"

Guess what, the world isn't full of flowers and sunshine, and we can't always get what we want.

Just remember, there are men and women over there right now fighting to prevent crap like 9/11 and the Madrid train bombings from ever happening again to any country.

Why doesn't everyone mull this over for a bit. Because I do every time I hear taps play at night here on the base.

oldage.th.jpg

Sorry, all I'm hearing from OP is "Whaaa people are talking about the big scary world outside! Please make them go away!"

Guess what, the world isn't full of flowers and sunshine, and we can't always get what we want.

Just remember, there are men and women over there right now fighting to prevent crap like 9/11 and the Madrid train bombings from ever happening again to any country.

Why doesn't everyone mull this over for a bit. Because I do every time I hear taps play at night here on the base.

oldage.th.jpg

Calm down Scotty!

Not like anyone asked for more than Max Warp speed anyways!! :)

1. Add a feature request to implement custom channels.

2. Once it's in, create and join it.

3. Invite all your friends to join that channel, and subsequently turn off all the others.

4. Win.

Alternatively, as has been stated elsewhere, just walk away. Or in game terms, turn off the channel.

Imagine you're at work near the water cooler/lunch lounge/whatever. Co-workers are discussing random things (religion, war, sex, politics, whatever) so what do you do? Walk away? Tell them to move the convo elsewhere? Or tell them that it's inappropriate to talk about anything other than work in the workplace? Seriously...

• 2 weeks later...

IF someone regards anyone else in EnB as "dregs" or "lowest common denominator", then they don't understand the nature of EnB, imo.

Tyran - some people would turn on the toilet channel expressly to go in and say they don't like it %) heh

But seriously, how can anyone worry so much about chat in EnB? You can't even read the text against most of the sector backgrounds anyways. Other than keeping out swear words for the kids, it just doesn't warrant any strict GM or player policing. Chats need a critical mass of "watchers" to generate enough of the few "talkers" to have a variety of ideas and make things interesting. At this point, with ~200 on or less, I suggest that only happens in New Players, not OOC or General.

Worry less, test more :)