Ransom/Scareware

Greetings All,

With the Copyright Alert System that went active this week, there have been a lot of new ransom/scareware malware viruses floating around the internet.  These programs come up, and seem to lock you out of your computer, and give a message saying "you are suspected of breaking the law" and lists some true articles.  Often times they use either the Department of Justice or a FBI seal to try to look authentic.

They are not, it's a scam.  They attempt to get you to purchase a Moneybookers deal, anywhere from $200-$500 and get you to send them the number you receive to "unlock" your computer.  Do not do this, as often times, it does not even fix the issue, as well as being out your money.

If you get one of these programs, the "best" way is to do restart your system in a "safe mode" and perform a system restore, to a point a week prior to when this pops up.  (In Windows, you perform this by hitting F8 during the boot up process.)  After this is done, highly advisable to still do a full system scan using any number of Anti-Virus software, or even the Microsoft Safety Scanner which can be found:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

This scanner only lasts 10 days, because they update the definitions within that time, and so force you to re-download it.  However, it is free to download, and is pretty good at catching some hidden bugs that other anti-virus' sometimes miss.

Again, this is just a warning, DO NOT TRUST these malicious softwares that are attempting to steal from you.

Here is a Pic of what one of these look like:

wspx81.jpg

LOL, the advertising logos under the submit button, that made me laugh, as if a goverment department would not have a direct debit or e-bank transfer.

It's like the lotto scams and the big company scams, what company uses gmail or hotmail as their e-mail address.

Just need to actually look at the e-mail/message and the scam stands out, and so laughable when we get them here in Australia

they try to reword to suit our goverment departments and they have no idea what they are called, guess the scammers don't use Google LOL

The logos gents are because it is a MoneyPak thing and those retailers vend moneypak in their brick & mortars.

Just FYI ;)

We faced this one down when it was new at work along with at least 26 other variations of the same message from FBI, NSA, FCC, ICE, and various other government agencies that they attempt to masquerade as. Its all a scam of course to get  you to send a MoneyPak code which acts sort of like an online money order.

yeah i had this happen 1 month or so ago...i was looking at some "artful pictures of the female body unclad" ..and FBI warning went up from the Monrypak  virus and I "swear" i dang near had a heart attack..in about 2 secs i recovered but it basically shouts "you are in violation etc" ...anyway this newer version of the monypak virus Avast could not clean it up ( even the newest version) it basically took down my Malywarebytes product (i had to reinstall)..spyware blaster it sailed on by.... I then did finally do a system restore and it worked ok...it was plenty evil little beasty...blasted thru all my anit-virus stuff i even downloaded AVG it also did not work..only thing that worked was the system restore...i'd just do that if practical and don't bother with wasting a day on the rest.....

my 2c worth

Searing

Edited by Dakynos
removed quote