RD Faction and Feathers problems with the game.

I'd like to open a letter to the dev's and gm's.

I run Builder's Inc.

We as a guild have always been happy to assist the GM and Dev's in content work and assisting in testing things for you.

We have a problem and the problem is the rd faction and Sharim faction, and the ability to dock at Jove's and various other issues.

As one of the 2 largest guilds in the game were finding it increasingly difficult to play the content of the game.

We can't raid without feathers and the people trying to get the feathers are losing to much faction for the rewards.

We have people that are getting to the point where they cannot dock at Jove's and it's very difficult to get your Sharim trader faction.

You have the rd base raid in the game but anyone that helps kill it gets a 10,000 point faction hit what does it do to sharim faction?

I realize you guys are trying to force us to make a choice.

But do you not think that this is a problem?

Here is the problem people are using up 10,000 + rd faction and not getting a feather.

In EA live the feathers could drop off of any RD in any sector.

You are forcing people that want to play to sit idle because they can't afford the faction and no easy way to get them back.

I'm am guessing you guys are wanting us to play but the way it's setup all the hunters and builders can do is blow all of there faction to gain access to the fish raids.

Is this how it's intended to be play?

People are getting ready to do something else because they can't raid and your healer killing settings is making the healers want to quit playing?

Is this working as intended?

Do you guys want to drive your player base off and have the regular players quit?

Is this working as intended?

I'd like to work with the Dev's and the Gm's to correct the problem before people that are playing quit from boredom.

I know that is not what is intended..

I would like to solve this before it becomes a problem worse this.

Is the mining and field nerfing for rd faction and hulks working as intended?

Is it really working as intended?

You guys are driving off the players because you have stuck them in a box.

You can't turn around without running into working as intended problems.

Can we get together maybe in a sunday meeting and speak with you about the problems before it's to late to bring back the ones that quit?

We made such a good start but now it's getting like it was in the middle of st4 when people quit from not having much to do.

I would like to add to Magoo's statement; i did not play in live, but my husband (strettch) did, he loved the game, he would play on his days off, which were 4 in a row & he spent most of his time off playing a game that he truly loved & enjoyed playing, he was also involved with the team to get the EMU going, played through all of the stress tests & into live; now he does not play; why? because he does not enjoy the game, it frustrates him to see a game that was enjoyable, "easy" to play, not Easy as in no challanges, there were, but now you have made it impossible to level by doing what you are suppose to do.  a miner cannot mine, because of the "guardians" in the ore fields, a trader cannot build, because you made building into "crafting" & warriors cannot fight because you have made the mobs "intelligent".

I have been playing since October of 2010, my favorite race/class is JE, I enjoyed the mining, I could go out to any ore field & mine to my heart's content without worrying about having to fight.  But since this game has gone to "live" I do not enjoy mining; I have gotten my JE up to OL 150, but this was done doing jobs, mostily explore jobs, why, because I could not do the combat, and trade jobs are quite frankly boring as hell.  this was not enjoyable to me at all, at least in the stress tests, I could do combat with my JE if I felt like it.  in ST4 I had one of each class/race up to 150 & they were all done by doing what they were suppose to do, i hardlly did any jobs at all, why? because i could combat grind with my warriors, mine with my miners, & build with my traders. 

another thing that irratates me is the multiboxing outlook that you have; most times I do not multibox my own characters, but once in a while strettch & I would "group" to do some combat, now it is almost impossible to do because you have limited this function somehow; you say it is on my end, my router or some such; but the truth is nothing has changed on our end;  in fact when i first started playing this game i was on a wireless connection & was using XP operating system on a $150.00 computer with no extra graphics card & had absolutly NO problems with multifboxing.

in my opinion, you are turning this much loved & enjoyed game into one of those that i tried playing & quit because they were so frustrating, where everytime i logged on to play something was changed so much so that it was like starting a new game.

wanting us to go out & find the new content is all well & fine, but most of the time it is content that is hard to do if you are a solo player & sometimes it is so confusing/frustrating i end up forfeiting missions because they are impossible to figure out.  also alot of the drops are changed, & harder to get.  people have "lost " their comraderie & have turned into credit hungry tyrants. the arguments that go on in all of the chat channels is enough to give me a headache. 

ANYWAY, that is my two cents; read into it what you will.

Edited by dragonrose

Hmm I personally don't see the problem with feather drops, I get one every 1000 faction hit or so, of course I haven't played in a week now (don't plan on logging on the game server anytime in the near future either) so maybe drop chances have changed.

I've noticed a decrease in the frequency of feather drops myself, as have several of my guildmates. Some sacrificing as much as 10k faction over the course of 2-3 days with no feather drops. I've burned as much as 3k faction myself in a single afternoon without seeing one. While I understand the desire for these raids to require a fair bit of work to make happen... on the other side of the coin screams frustration and aggravation to those who spend hours to accomplish it without adequate reward for the time spent.

Edited by ShadowWalker

Actually Stanig the players were told the changes didnt take hold, so they actually didnt go into effect until last week.

To Rose, sorry to here Strettch isnt playing anymore, but I do agree with one point the bickering and drama is why I quit playing, I am am now just around if something needs testing.

Actually there might be problems with station factions Stanig, after this patch, Net-7 was red again that Zack had to sector reboot right after the patch... 

Paramis is still yellow while QAR is green (you have changed it also to Red dragon once) 

Somewhat every patch they might be double checked if they are still that faction...

Edited by SiSL

I agree with the posts above, there is not much fun in playing anymore, as a mostly solo player, all i can do is jobs to level, both explore and combat, cant do combat cos either the mobs are to high or to hard to kill, which leaves me explore jobs to do, all day long, dosen't give me much insentive to log on each day does it, the job terms are still not working properly, it refreshes then says, job expired or job taken by another player, when no other player is there.

My 150 TT cant enjoy myself because of the healing problem, so no raids or fun there.

My JE used to enjoy the hulk fields and mining, now, no hulk fields and cant mine cos i only have lvl 4 beams to protect myself.

My PW is stuck because i still cant kill the lvl 75 combat jobs, even though i now have 5 weapons, the weapons dont do enough damage, or the mobs are to overpowered.

Started a JD, now hit the same problem, cant lvl with combat jobs cos i die to quick, only choice i have is to carry on doing explore jobs untill im lvl 150.

I been playing this game from the beta stage 12 or so years ago, i have been through all the stress tests on this emu project, but for the first time ever, I must admit, The fun has somehow gone from this wonderfull game, and i'm getting very bored with all the changes.

If only more players would be honest and post there concerns, prehaps the devs would listen to our crys for help, and return the game to mostly how it was in old live and not something that they dreamed up while sleeping lol.

I cant be the only one thats having these problems, Now is the time to speak UP, and have your say, before we end up with only a dozen players left.

...the station faction curse...  :lol:

No need for a 5 pages thread again - consider Joves being Shahadem....if its not, its def. a bug

But I THINK the faction is correct now ingame, after the last hotfix?

If not,we fix it (again) and this issue can be burried....

I think the right balance just needs to be found still, there has to be some middle ground that we can find. And in terms of "LIVE" status. It's early days.

Now in game I don't want it all handed too me, but at the same time I do want some rewards. I'm all for increased difficulty, but there's a difference between increased difficulty, and taking the fun out.

Let's face it after grinding to level 150, there really isn't much left to do other than raid and try an get your uber gear. Once that's done with.. well then you just stand in OMP chatting, or start a new toon and complete the process again.

I don't think it's the DEVs trying to screw us out of our EnB dream, it's just that the game doesn't really have that much to offer in the first place. It's old, and it's limited at best by design. An c'mon .. we've been playing it for a long time now, you can't expect it to still be as fresh.

The main thing that fuels interest is new content, which currently we have none of due to stability issues and high priority bugs being fixed.

Most of the changes that people are unhappy about seem to be that a dynamic has been introduced that means that they cannot complete something alone which previously they could. Unfortunately we do not have the player base to accomodate these types of changes.

Frustrating as it is I think we just need to be a little more patient and see how things progress over the next few months.

• Upvote 1

A view from a lurker: Wouldn't it help clear up some of the confusion if we get a clear and concise mission statement from the DEVS? 

I hear so many conflicting statements such as "This inst Live" and or "We are trying to get it back to as it was in live pre Virix"

I think an outline of what direction the game is headed other than "Play and see" might help clear up some of the issues we are seeing.  If there will be some method to repair faction coming soon(tm)  would go a long way to help.  If the choices made in game are irreparable, then put that in the statement as well.  We players are adaptable we will adapt and find a way around the current situation ...like (make an alt that has total destroyed RD faction only for feather collection) or another for (Chevez faction for the upcoming Chevez content)...

A mission statement without giving away the mystery or surprise in the game would go a long way to alleviate many wasted hours of character creation.

As always I may be full of crap and the above is open to flames and or ridicule    

I have to agree with previous concerns.  While I do think RD/Sharim should remain, the colorful parrot feather should drop in BBW as well from some of the RD drones.  That would fix the problem, on RD faction loss.  Players who want to be friendly with the RD don't have to forfeit being able to do the fishbowl.  Making players choose can be overdone, a little caution here would be a good thing.   Instead make some missions have both positive & negative faction requirements, but make sure the mission rewards are worth the hit you're asking a player to take to get the mission, otherwise it won't be worthwhile.

I think too many things have see cloaked in the game, now.  IMO it should be reduced to some raid bosses, and a few select mobs around the galaxy, but the vast majority of them should not be able to see a cloaked player.  The V'rix, when they come, would be the exception.  (They'll provide more than enough mobs with this ablity)

I don't have a problem with orefield guardians, but they should have very low alturism stats.  Orefield guardians should not have the ability to see cloaked.  They should tend to have poor to average scan range.   Miners should have to fight guardians sometimes, but they should also be avoidable by a well played explorer.  Time fighting, is time not mining. 

Call for help is out of hand IMO*.  It's not possible to pick off a straggler without alerting all the other mobs.  (should be doable, but a bit of a challenge, not impossible)  This means that stealth loses most, if not all, of it's usefulness.  Stealth is very important to Jenquai.  We have poor shields, our skills & equipment revolve around being hard to detect.  We should, when skillfully played, be able to avoid a good chunk of return fire, not all of it mind you, but at least some.  There should be some spawns where mobs work together, and others where they're largely indifferent to one another.  There can also be middle grounds there, in some cases, where one or two mobs may indirectly help the one under attack.    Mabonae & Ostarae in VG did this in EnB Origins.  Sometimes when one was under attack, a nearby one would attempt to heal him, but wouldn't generally directly engage the player if the player wasn't in sight.

* Organic enemies are immune to hacking, and we don't always have a TW around for the mech mobs to silence their calls for help. 

This means that there are some places where you need to group, while there are other places where you can comfortably play solo, by playing your class as intended by your character's skill set, strengths & weaknesses.

While having to group should be important for some things, making nearly everything require a group isn't a good idea.  Like previous posters pointed out, our population is small, there are also going to be times when players simply want to play solo.  Solo play should be a viable thing for players to do, for every class, while groups should be needed for the major things like the raids.

Also for Sharim faction, give Ariad some missions that reward it, and have a few other Sharim NPCs that do the same.  That will help some.  (Pretty much all missions done successfully, should give some reputation reward with the faction that the NPC giving the mission is a member of.  Reward should be in sync with the mission's difficulty.)

Edited by Terrell

I have all but quit now. But not for some of the content related reasons above. My enb experience is now virtually non-existant for other reasons. From the start I played this 100%, I put everything into it. The occasional ctd or lock-up during gating/WH used to hamper me a little but I put so many hours in it couldn't hold me back. Gradually the issue has become worse, I am also only able to play weekdays during "peak" hours now which is when the problem is at its most accute. I was able to get round this by not gating, i.e. spending my time mining, farming or doing combat in one sector. This has meant jobs are pretty much out for me, but that's ok, I levelled 3 JEs to max lvl and there's plenty of mining still to be done on my new PS & TS. Sadly the latest blight to befall me (as of a couple of patches ago) has made even this a risky proposition. It seems that now if I lose connection to the game because of a flaky internet line at my end my toons stay in. The upshot of this is that I cannot then log back onto them. It's happened many times now and if there isn't a dev or GM on at the time i'm stuffed. I submit a ticket and wait for my toons release. That often takes hours, at present I have four toons stuck in the game, one of which I only logged in to report the issue on the other three. I have less time to play now and when the majority of that time is spent running task manager to close the game or submitting tickets to get my toons released I just cant be bothered. This emulator went "live" because as the devs said "we have basically finished testing and now want to concentrate on content". Well sorry but since then they've done nothing but adjust the game fundamentals and balance. The very basic things that i'd like to be able to do, like click on a gate and get through it more than 50% of the time seem no closer to reality for me. This is still beta in all but name.

Hmm i remember in EA Live i had a PW that was my RD/Feather hunter but i never noticed i ruined some other faction on it. maybe i had done so much jobs that sharim was up enough and i didn't notice, but separating sharim from RD would help the players alot i think, or at least make a regain on sharim faction when killing chavez / same as loose on killing RD's.

Atm i Multichar 3 Terrans same time and i'm happy with it but i agree some Orefield mobs would make my TS alone a real headache.

Some call for help combined troops would really make my TE die or at least run with his but handed out.

Healing Agro on My TT ...... i tried to conquer it with Anger from my TE some time it works but most times i still get a beating on my TT what made me give my TT the strongest shields i have (Proto) and boost himself before combat. TS/TE only on normal shields. My TS/TE  debuff and try to help out the TT but mostly TT heals himself and all 3 shoot the hell outa the mob.

On the Side of the Dev's .... They said they're working on a whole new code to conquer all the lagspike/gating/docking to megan /turn left or shoot to Desktop problems and we promised to remain pacient to wait for the new code to be installed its not installed yet as far as i know but ppl complaining on thoose problems.

Some ppl complain about Devs doin almost nothing and only fixing a few problems..... shure there can be done more. There can alwas be done more but remember things like groupgating.. a feature not even EA live had.. Old Nik where many ppl asked devs to help and restart event and so on... giving out heart shields...

i think both sides have thier points and need to come together

Edited by Aru

You know...

https://forum.enb-emulator.com/index.php?/topic/8540-when-is-the-last-time-anybody-see-ivory-ward-drop-at-all/?p=73872

This was actually about same stuff that is suffering from 3 faction Pools... You kill RD's, you loose RD (naturally), you loose Sharim, you loose Psionics... 

Edited by SiSL

Aru, your memory isn't faulty, it just didn't add something to the new memory :) Sharim as a class didn't exist in Old Live (tm). Sharim is the faction of the JS. The 3 "lost" classes weren't factored into the old faction schema and chart. Now that they must be figured in, its causing a few heartburns. The Old Live (tm) chart had some holes, it was always intended that there be a 3 faction balancing act. Any kill of one would increase the diameticly opposed faction a like amount increase in  as lost from the killed faction, but since there is a 3 faction dynamic the associated faction to the kill gets a -50% down from the kill as well.

Old Live (tm) when hunting feathers etc. from the RD you could slay away with the knowledge you could just go rebalance RD faction, by slaying like amounts of chavez, neither RD or chavez had a 2nd faction to worry about, now that the 3 classes are in that 2nd faction is playing some havoc, you kill lots of RD for their drops, you then got to kill something else to rebalance your sharim, it will probably get worse in that regard, when they add the chavez content, chavez had to have SOME friends out there! :)

For those that need to take the slay/faction route to faction balancing, there needs to be lots of that 2nd faction at multiple levell to kill, currently the sharims enemy PP (collegia) is vastly mob under represented, as are the TS (hyperia). So if you slay a bunch of RD and frell your sharim you can't just go out there and cap some collegia, if you need to tune your infinicorp up you can't go frag some hyperia in masses either.

This hilights another problem, the faction love/hate needs a rethink, some factions got 2 loves and 4 hates, others 2/3, 2/2, 3/4 etc. The collegia have 4 other factions that hate them and only 2 liking them, you frag a collegia and you boost 4 other factions love. On the other hand you frag a sharim you get 1 love and 4 hates. You frag a centriata you lose 4 and gain 3. Its all over the place of alliances between the 9 classes. Somehow there needs to be a retune so each has a like amount of love/hate without scuttling existing storyline.

Edited by Mattsacre
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In EnB Origins it was possible to gain/lose Sharim, Hyperia, and Collegia faction.  Prior to the patch Merjan's Missing, missions given by Ariad gave Sharim faction.  Not sure why she's giving Anseria for her missions in Emulator, but she was the class leader of the Sharim Traders.  In EnB Origins killing RD did lower Sharim as well as others like Alliance & Psionic.  The difference is that they didn't own anything.   After Merjan's Missing, Ariad moved to Paren Station and became Sha'ha'dem class leader and had the HtM mission.   Alliance faction could be earned from missions given by Nostradamus Smythe.  Some of the Psis had also had missions for faction.  I think the one in Kinshasa-Mbali had a few over the course of the game.

In EnB Origins Loric gave missions that gave Hyperia faction, and Theodoric Cassel gave missions for Collegia faction.   Loric was in his ship back in Lagarto at the time.   One of Loric's missions gave the device that protects against V'rix scan, but I cannot remember if he gave the device itself, or if he gave the print for the device.  The device was manufacturable. 

Sharim ships were found near the Asteroid navs in Glenn and Jupiter.  If you had a miner and liked to mine in those locations you probably saw them more than if you didn't.  I remeber a ship called "Hyperia Weft Explorer" but I don't remember where I saw them at.  I don't think it was limited to the wefts but not certain there.  There were also Collegia ships in EnB origins, I remember seeing some in Endriago, but there may also have been in other locations.

Sharim, Collegia, and Hyperia were not at the job terminals at the time, because they weren't fully involved in game.

It's funny with all this faction talk, I had brought a few OLD LIVE suggestions that actually went on either deaf ears or werent taken seriously and were decided as not needed. I also brought up the whole faction caps that were in OLD LIVE, as it sits now how is anyone going to fix there Chavez faction if its like -25k or more, these should be capped. I actually read a old post on ebportal archives that stated how this was originally set-up and here it is again.

Faction caps should be as follows:

Home class faction +15,000 max, -10,000 max

All other playable races +12,000 max, -10,000

All other races +10,000 max and -10,000

This way you can more easily fix factions that you mangle due to trying to either get a certain faction high enough or do missions for that specific race or races. Just my opinion and yes I know this is your LIVE and not EA's live, but there were reasons for doing this.

The collegia ships you remember are the same 3 that are in endriago now. They were up near were the  centriata diversus are now, all 3x L35 (like now). They (currently) are 1 up by the diversus and 2 by the altair III gate endriago. I think they are called privateer smuggler or something like that.

I don't know if they have something in the works concerning this...but don't you think that NV and altair III might have some PP/PW resources to guard it? Especially considering there are rogue progen encrouching in altair III and some RD in NV. It seems to me it would fit storyline to have them there and be able to be used as targets if needed. So also the hyperia areas, shouldn't proxima centari have some TS/TE hanging about protecting against those smugglers and radiated/insane miners? It would seem to me that home sectors should be Highsec so to speak, that Mars. Earth and Jupiter should have lots of race/faction mobs there from all three classes of that race.

I remember infini haulers zipping between 3-4 navs in carp..like traders should, they are hauling goods, the TE factions would hover near xia xia station in cygni and near the nommos, they were "guarding" as TE suppost to do. So put some PP types warping on navs between Mars Gamma gate <> endriago gate altair III, with PW types hoivering over a few of those navs. Same likewise in proxima zones, hyperia zipping back and forth on their scouting assignments, the enforcers guarding assets. Have some sharim warping from nishuan station to yokan gate with a sprinkling of shinwa on select navs.

I agree capping might be a solution, but I can forsee one explotation of it. If you know that you can't pass a set threshold, you can run it to the wall with that faction and then never suffer more faction hit, someone might deliberatly do that to drive other factions to max, then repair the faction from capped amount, they might have gained max in several factions while they were not taking the hits on the low wall, then in repairing they sort of got "free" factioning without negative consequences.

As an example:you kill and kill collegia driving it to low cap, driving RD and sharim to max cap. Then using stockpiled suits you repair collegia overnight (there is no faction drop from tiles, genemaps or suits). You got 3 factions maxxed for the cost in suits of 1 faction. Its true killing those collegia drops the centriata also, but lots of the collegia drop gene maps..enough that you can use them at gene repository to offset lossed from collegia kills.

Edited by Mattsacre

I agree capping might be a solution, but I can forsee one explotation of it. If you know that you can't pass a set threshold, you can run it to the wall with that faction and then never suffer more faction hit, someone might deliberatly do that to drive other factions to max, then repair the faction from capped amount, they might have gained max in several factions while they were not taking the hits on the low wall, then in repairing they sort of got "free" factioning without negative consequences..

I so much love to read how you can picture exploitations that would benefit noone from a perfectly valid path on many subjects. That's never going to happen because 1.) you loose more faction than you gain from others 2.) Non-pirate factions are often loose more than 2 when you kill their friendly factions. So there will be always always a distributions and never max out like a exploitation you assume. Maxing another faction would not benefit them, since they will be negative for some others. 

I will give you a friendlier example not confusing with more than 1 faction: Terran Alliance vs. Progen Combine... They only drop from each other... While jobs done, I could get them to 3000 each, Kill 1 Terran -22K from terran alliance +11K to Progen Combine, After that kill 1 Progen combine, -22K from Progen, +11 to terran, final results, you are 11K lower on both factions even you killed same number of mobs from both sides and you are both minus than you start.  

It was how it was designed before, point of caps was never to get any faction to a degree of "no return"  or to a degree of "always maxed" , kill any EC, you will loose 3 pools and gain only one pool of RD if you are TW... That's how it is, killing makes you loose more faction than gain from killing its enemy of same level. 

Currently having 27K faction and even I kill thousand infinity ships, InfinityCorp still will love me. If you would call exploitation, that would be what current state is... Look at Chavez? People have tens of thousands of negative with them, does that mean they are exploiting them to max out RD faction? People getting 6 different factions at once with a single job run, are they exploiting it?

I will never kill EC enough to get my "default (-11000)" -15000 Bogeril faction (just by doing TW newbie quests) (to repair, you need to loose -30000 EC, along with -15000 Infinity & -15000 Hyperia) when content comes out if there are not any alternative ways, which means that content will be non-existant to me... 

PS: Yeah yeah, I know faction matters now on crafting hat trick, beyond 12K it does not even matter... Actually when you reach 200% builds once, only docking privilages are enough to build anything at that quality. You can always ask builders that tell people to come to QAR... 

Edited by SiSL

I love how the exploitation card comes out, well wait until the V'rix are in game will it be an exploit to kill those until damn near every faction you have is +50k and all u have is red V'rix since almost every faction is hated by them. This is why the caps need to be in, there should always be a way to repair factions if you so worried about the so called exploit Matt then how about just dumping the suits as a way to get faction just like back in the day when the V'rix were first launched and you could feed them mordanite for faction.

I guess "exploit" was to harsh of a word, but with a hard cap ways to make it NOT WAI is possible...how about that? Look at your faction chart. Player factions aren't even in the amounts that they are loved/hated. Kill a collegia and 2 hate you (collegia/centriata) but 4 like you. Another player faction is the flip of that, kill one of them and you piss off 4 other factions and only gain the love of 2. Using the word "exploit" that you feel over strong, there are scenario(s), that can inbalance the factioning if you hit a hard cap.

Example: (I know that chavez don't boost sharim rep, I'm just using it as a "for instance" to show how a hard cap "could" be misused...everyone currently smacks chavez with no thought to future problems..it's a "safe" kill..hard caps will make something else a "safe" kill as well)

There are currently factions in game that you only take a hit on that singular faction on a kill, like chavez/RD dynamic. Kill a chavez the RD like you, kill a RD not only does the RD hate you the sharim to a lesser do. So what if there was a chavez item like half eaten suits? You kill and kill until you hit the bottom cap of chavez. You might actually kill 2 billion faction drop, but with a faction cap wall you never go under that cap.

So you kill them in ernest and drive RD to max and sharim 1/2 that...why stop with sharim half that?...keep killing and drive sharim to same cap as RD...heck there is no penalty on chavez! Now that you have 2 factions to max, say for some reason something comes along that makes chavez increased desirable. Normally you would have to consider who else you would piss off to get chavez back up..thats what factioning is, who you are going to align yourself with, who is your "circle of friends" so to speak. But the cap let you only piss them off so much while getting 2 other factions in love with you, you don't have to make a hard choice, you can now get the chavez to love you without pissing someone else off...you got free rep protection via that cap wall.

Do you know anyone in RL that EVERYONE universally loves, there are a few rare individuals that while not loved they are at least "respected" (know anybody that hated mother teresa? You shouldn't be able to achieve total love in game either, a hard cap makes that possible, you can, through hard work via job terminals, get that "respected" stance.

Well there is a solution get rid of he ability to use suits and such to gain cap, that will make you work out how and who you want to be friendly with or "allied to" as far as I know in original live you didn't have things such as suits or the majongg tiles to boost factions or the the gene maps for that matter. The problem right now is there needs to be a revamp of if you kill this faction you gain/lose this faction or multiple faction changes, especially since no faction charts even updated ones from original live, (showing freespacer, net-7, etc. etc) take in account the three new classes being playable, this will have to be factored in along with how new characters start out with faction (which in my opinion needs alot of work). Even in original live it took alot of kill this, kill that to achieve friendly staus with most if not all factions on the lists. If you remember in original live, you could job up most factions in the game (in which this is not properly set-up), I know on my PW in original live, I had both V'rix and RD factions very much in the green, it just took alot of faction balancing to do so and yes I could land at any station, I also was able to get into der-tod without any major faction problems when going after the bosses there. The bottom line its all about how you as an individual wants to play the game and as it sits now without the caps and more factioned mobs there is no way to get that balance as I would like it to be and as it should be. But, to me this is a moot discussion atleast for me as I won't be playing on the play server anyway, I am just sticking to testing if needed.

The biggest concern with having players forced to make choices, is making sure the rewards for making different choices are comparable to making other choices.  I think that there should be some things where you have to do that, and are rewarded for doing so, but there should be many things that don't require it as well.   Remember that these choices can effectively reduce the amount of content available to players, so it shouldn't be overdone.  At least as far as absolute choices are concerned, where if you're friendly to one faction, you absoutely cannot do X for another.  IMO the thing with Agrippa, where being friendly with RD or others that they don't like, makes you need higher faction with them to make up for it, is IMO a good thing, and should be more common than absolute choices.

Let's take alignment with the RD vs the Chavez.  Right now there's no benefit to choosing the Chavez over the RD compared to choosing the RD over the Chavez.  In sacrificing RD for Chavez you deny yourself access to BBW, Paramis, the Controller, and if you overdo it, Sharim bases, as well as future missions offered by Sharim, The Alliance (Nostradamus Smythe), and Psionics.  What do the Chavez offer that's comparable to these losses?  AFAIK nothing that's worthwhile by comparison.   The Chavez, in order to be a viable alternative to the RD need friends, a raid comparable to the Controller,  a different but comparable shortcut to going through BBW, equipment that's only accessable through friendly Chavez, and they'll need mining areas and other benefits of a similar value.  If they don't have these things, expect people to choose RD over Chavez every time as soon as players realize that RD is the better choice.   Killing the RD base in AP should give a big hit to RD faction, a substantial but not as big hit to Sharim, The Alliance, Psionics, and any other friends of the RD.  While giving a boost to the RD's enemies, equal to the loss of faction from the RD's allies.  The boost to the RD's enemies should not be as big as the loss of RD faction for destroying the base. 

I don't think that every improvement with one faction should cost points with some other.  IMO that would narrow the game too much, and the idea with jobs, missions, etc where you can improve one faction without angering another is a good thing.  We want as broad a content as possible for all players, regardless of faction alignment, while reserving some things (a minority) for those who choose specific alignments.  The rewards for choosing specific alignments should tend to be better than the things generally available, but the rewards should be such that players really have to weigh their options on which side they choose. 

In the maps there's the Eidenmist Nebula that's will come into the game later.  Based on the names of the sectors shown inside that would be owned by the Mordana, and IMO we should require good Mordana to enter (+2000).  Have that give rewards that are worth being on the Mordana's good side, that are at least as comparable as getting the prints to the things that the Mordana drop.   In the meantime have some Shinwa missions that require higher Shinwa faction if you're not hostile to the Mordana.  My older idea about a project to enter and contstruct Tlaloc, could have a faction penalty for having good Mordana.  I didn't make an original faction requirement to do it.  But say if you are hostile to the Mordana you can do it as long as you can dock at Somerled & Prasad, but if you are neutral then you need +3500 Shinwa to do, if you're between +2000 & +5000 Mordana faction, then you need +8K Shinwa.  If you're above +5K Mordy, then you need +10K Shinwa, Sha'ha'dem, and Sharim.

So instead of more absolute choices, there should be faction requirement penalties, if you're too friendly with a faction that the mission giver doesn't like.   Make you have to make it up by working on faction with those mission givers to overcome the mistrust of your standing with the faction's enemies.  I think Agrippa does this already, and it's a good thing.

Also this thread might get more attention, if put into the Suggestions or General Discussion forums.  Perhaps other players can comment.